• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 White Smoke

jatonka

check timing, white smoke at idle can indicate timing off. How would that happen to an engine that ran right previously? Consider the 3 small capscrews that hold gear on front of injector pump, and gear train wear from use. You can check timing, you seem to be very mechanicly able. Just a thought. Also adjusting vales and all the other suggestions make perfect sense. JY

WhoMe08721

So Today I Cleaned The Bypass Valve (That Was Not Dirty Or Sticking).Toke the truck for a good ride and no improvement. Also there was no Fuel Pressure Fluctuating when driving. But top speed was only 40mph, that all the truck will do now in 5th gear and the gas pedal to the floor. Next thing I was going to try is cleaning all the in injector (This weekend).If that fails I was going to remove and check the injector pump & injector boost pump.

Cleaned Bypass Valve.jpg

rustystud

So Today I Cleaned The Bypass Valve (That Was Not Dirty Or Sticking).Toke the truck for a good ride and no improvement. Also there was no Fuel Pressure Fluctuating when driving. But top speed was only 40mph, that all the truck will do now in 5th gear and the gas pedal to the floor. Next thing I was going to try is cleaning all the in injector (This weekend).If that fails I was going to remove and check the injector pump & injector boost pump.

View attachment 753726
Did you ever take the boost pump plug out and check for debris ? You checked the pressure relief valve I see. I agree that your injectors might be the problem though. At 60 PSI you should have more then enough fuel to make power.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
One idea is to service the injectors, You been working on the goesintah and also should work on the goesoutah into the engine.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ilding-testing-and-TM-and-compression-testing

injector shims IMG_7997.jpg

"fresh diesel" only is in there, that special new ULS stuff that is ultra low on the additives the engine parts needs.
View attachment 500 to 15 ppm sulfurfuel.pdf

Just go put a gallon of naphtha and a gallon of new very un-special motor oil and dump it in the tank or use some store bought Seafoam.
Faulty injector/s

White smoke .............
It was no run May to December. How did run and how much did it run and get used before that?

The injectors are in TM 9-2815-210-35 page 99 or so...................

Last edited:

WhoMe08721

The last video oil was full and clean, water temp was (+/-160F) at the truck dash gauge & temp was (+/-148F) with a senor gun. The truck has clean fresh diesel fuel in it. Drained & cleaned the tank the other day when I changed out the in tank fuel pump. I have not tested, cleaned, or check the boost pump yet I was going to do that if I pull of the injector pump. Also is there any way to get to the boost pump with out removing the injector pump. I tried Seafoam, Hot Shot's Secret, and other things but no dice. Before May it ran all most ever day and ran great, just a little white smoke but no speed or power lost. Today or tomorrow I am going to remove some injector out of a part motor I have in the garage just to learn what I am doing before I remove the ones out of my truck. I do have a diesel injection nozzles tester that I have never use. Only one way to learn do a little read & then just do it. Also is there a way to test the injector pump with out removing it (for example putting a high pressure gauge on the injector lines or something like that) And final the smoke smell & burn or eyes like unburned diesel fuel.

WhoMe08721

Also can so one show me where to find (TM 9-2815-210-35) I google it and could not find it. Tried here to in the manuals part and could not find it. THANKS

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You already checked the booster pump and had 60 psi at 2600. The in tank pump can be checked in the same spot you checked the booster but you need a smaller range gage 10 /20 psi. If you have the engine off and in tank pump running and open the bleeder and if it wants to shoot out that is a good enough test for now. The in tank pump helps when we change the fuel filters but the engine runs OK with it not working and a full fuel system primed. Yes very small performance loss but you might not even notice. The in tank pump helps the booster with cavitation but as said small performance loss. You can see if you can find the injector or injectors that are not working right with a screw driver and you might be able to hear the difference in the noise they make while running. Best thing if your going to do injectors just pull them all and be done with it. You IP booster is working ok, fresh fuel and engine up to temps pull injectors run your valves.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Also can so one show me where to find (TM 9-2815-210-35) I google it and could not find it. Tried here to in the manuals part and could not find it. THANKS
Many here want that (TM 9-2815-210-35) September 1964
The thing is 135mb so can not upload it here.
I found it from Brian Patterson, an almost complete version.
It is in my 18GB of Deuce files.
Have offered it before with only a few takers.

Send me an email and will send (TM 9-2815-210-35) September 1964 send it to you.....fm

refer to https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123958-I-ve-got-a-printed-copy-of-TM-9-2815-210-35

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Many here want that (TM 9-2815-210-35) September 1964
The thing is 135mb so can not upload it here.
I found it from Brian Patterson, an almost complete version.
It is in my 18GB of Deuce files.
Have offered it before with only a few takers.

Send me an email and will send (TM 9-2815-210-35) September 1964 send it to you.....fm

refer to https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123958-I-ve-got-a-printed-copy-of-TM-9-2815-210-35
Five have requested the TM cited above and I sent it to all.
Any problems let me know.

Last edited:

WhoMe08721

frank8003 Thanks for the TM Manual Great Reading.

So today I pulled out one Injector out of my spare motor in the garage and set up my Diesel Injector Test for the first time. Had to custom make a adapter from Diesel Injector Test Pump to the Injector. All works good now. Just need to pull the ones off my truck this week and clean & test them. Hopefully this fix's the problem. Will update with news this week.

Diesel Injector Test Set Up.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks