• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 Tachometer Install on Optimizer 6500 Turbo

Rybak97

Hi everyone, I'd first like to thank everyone for the very informative threads on basically everything! I just got my 1097 delivered and have spent the last few days trying to learn everything there is to know about this truck.

I think I have a special situation. The truck I bought is an M1097A2 but I had the builder put in the 6.5L turbo 6500 GEP engine with a 4 speed overdrive transmission.

The truck has the window mounted tach but the engine has no tach drive to land the wire and I read a post where the same setup didn't work on the alternator.

My question, is there a tach drive on this motor maybe not in the same location? Has anyone ran in to this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tach hooks up to Alt. If the tach has the round connector.
Only the buss bar tach hooks to the tach drive, which you don't have or need.

Rybak97

Tach hooks up to Alt. If the tach has the round connector.
Only the buss bar tach hooks to the tach drive, which you don't have or need.
Copy that. So there's only a single wire that connects to the alt and the other hookups on the guage cluster are the same? You don't have a diagram I could look at do you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Connector is MS 3106R14S-6s
Total length 69''.
First breakout is 48" with 3 wires : 27N male, 27M female, and 57L ring lug.
69" end : 2C is a ring lug, and 2B is a female.

Rybak97

The good news it that after digging through the dash and engine bay I found the two wires that go to the alternator..... Marked 2B and 2C.

I feel like they should land on the yellow and red connector on the 12V regulator.... ?? Is this correct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kcpstudio

Anyone, to your knowledge, mod these for a light? I doubt it be too difficult. I’m wondering if I just run a + lead off the instrument cluster lights to a Led (My truck is all LEDs) up at the tach, if that should be ok.

kcpstudio

Ooo... just found this over at G503. Its a mod to the tach I have which would give me a light. Apparently, this tach has a provision for a light. Inside the housing is a light tunnel socket. Looks like all you would need to do is cut a hole in the back of the tach to match up with the tunnel. Of course I would need to source an actual light plug. But at least there is the ability to convert the tach. Makes me wonder why the manufacture did not cut the hole.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=305704

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So where would I hook this alternator up on my 6.2 with 60 Amp alternator???

I have a Dixson 00049383

I can figure out the 24V Pos and Neg. Where do I get the + and - tach signals?

[EDIT] - It would appear I need a tach mechanical sender. Does a 6.2 have one normally or can I install one or do I have the incorrect stuff?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks