• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 owner new to the community

Matt5

Banned
HP rating is not a TOWING rating... if you get the TV adjusted wrong BYE BYE tranny... a reason exists that you never ever saw a 700r4 in a heavy truck... it aint cause GM was too dumb to put an awesome OD tranny behind a truck that could use it... it is because it is a WEAK transmission... again... HP/TQ does not equal TOWING capacity...

What I have said is FACT you are posting partial information...

(no affalition) https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/transmission-chevy-700r4-level-3-700-raptor-copy/ please scroll down till you get the spreadsheet of trannys... you will see the following
"Comments" "Tow up to 6000 pounds in overdrive." on a level 3 upgrade build from them... no upgrades after that state any more towing...

So, ya you tell me all about your "it will take the HP" has nothing to do with towing... they go out of there way to mention how much you can tow with that built transmission... so your telling me a STOCK tranny is gona tow MORE than a $3000 built one?

Ya I am giving advice and you are tossing out some partial numbers that give only a little show of what is needed here.

Op wanted to tow a 700r4 is NOT the tranny for it...
Now am i going to listen to you people cause "tell that to racers (dont matter op aint racing) and people who towed" (no weight info given) or am i going to listen to the ones rebuilding the trannys?

These people sure seem to think that tranny BUILT can only do 6k towing... 4k with a lower build... so what would stock be? 2k?

I'll be happy to see someone post me some numbers... ALSO good luck finding a 700r4 built to take the power a turbo 400 can.. why CAUSE ITS A WEAKER TRANNY

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think anyone said it was on par with a 400 Turbo. In comparison, it's weak. That said, compare an Allison with a 400 and the 400 is weak. Properly cooled a decent rebuilt 700 can tow. It was never designed to tow heavy loads in OD anyways. Only a fool would want to to 7500# 70 mph in a CUCV. A 26' travel trailer these days are light. Even fully loaded, I doubt it would make 5000#. Let's first decide the weight the OP wants to tow, then offer informed opinions.

ljbrochu92

Thanks everyone for all your input. The wealth of knowledge on here is incredible. Now that I think about it I do have a k10 with a 700r4 in it. I was going to take out the 350 it has and swap in a built 355. While the motor is out I can take the trans too and put the th400 from the 1028 in that. Any thoughts on this? Just tossing out ideas seeing as I don’t have to spend money for a new 700r4.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think anyone said it was on par with a 400 Turbo. In comparison, it's weak. That said, compare an Allison with a 400 and the 400 is weak. Properly cooled a decent rebuilt 700 can tow. It was never designed to tow heavy loads in OD anyways. Only a fool would want to to 7500# 70 mph in a CUCV. A 26' travel trailer these days are light. Even fully loaded, I doubt it would make 5000#. Let's first decide the weight the OP wants to tow, then offer informed opinions.
Another bit of brutal honesty. The 6.2, even with a turbo, is not a powerhouse. But it seems we're picking at topics to discuss.

OP, here's some facts to consider:

The 700R4 has been used in several CUCVs.
It will cost you at least a grand or two.
At that price point, expect a "stock" transmission. Your results may vary.
The 6.2NA stock in a CUCV is rated at 155hp and 240lb⋅ft. Add a turbo (and fuel) and expect about 40-50hp and 75-100ft-lbs to add to those numbers.
700R4's are based closer to a TH350 transmission in capacity stock.
700R4's are known to have failures.
TH400's are known to have failures.
4L80's are the modern overdrive GM used in heavy trucks. They're based off a TH400 design.
4L80's will require a standalone computer, harness, and will cost more.
4L80's also fail.
Just about anything made will have a possibility of failure. Even more so if it's operated incorrectly. Built incorrectly. Or has a material defect to start with.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a M1028A2 and while I'm sure it can tow 5 to 6K with no problems, I know it will be slow. The high differential gears limit its top speed and the engine HP limits how quick it can/or if it can get there. It is slow with no load. The more you put in it or behind it, the worst it will be.

I enjoy my 1028, but I know it's limitations, it is what it is. If you don't need to tow very often and are not in a hurry, just use the truck as it is.

Based on my personal experience, if he has a lot of towing to do, I would suggest to the OP that he considers getting a newer used pickup instead of trying to make a CUCV into what it is not. In the end you will have a more capable and comfortable tow vehicle.

ljbrochu92

I won’t be hauling a lot and like Recovry4x4 mentioned above my camper and gear may be around 5,000. I’m not looking to tow big gooseneck trailers freighted with equipment or enter into truck pulls. I bought this truck because it’s in great shape, it’s military piece of history, and I love squares haha. Besides hauling the camper a few times in the summer, this truck will mainly be going on trips for ice cream and I may put the 1.25 ton to the test carrying couple bags of bottles to town.:) I just want to make sure it will handle the camper and not be at a snails pace is all.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from Missouri, and congrats on your purchase. If you are mechanically inclined and have some disposable income and time then you can get to some compromises as the square body is a Great truck to own and easily maintained. Also the Chevrolet has the capacity to use parts from 40 plus years.

A lot of Great information. you have to decide and realize just what you are after and move in that direction. It well seems that time is on your side, and that money is going to be budgeted. The Military buys for purpose, that is why they diversify into many vehicles. If you are going to tow behind the 1028 with a 26 foot trailer you will need some upgrades, with travel distances in mind. You will maybe be better to start with the cash outlay and get what you need, but the CUCV can be used as is but remember if you like to wrench then hunt for the equipment you need to travel how you like.

Just be sure, in hot weather the heat on the truck and you can be taxing.

NA 6.2 will not be happy if you have to push up long grades, or a turbo for that matter, pulling 26 feet of trailer. The reason for the 4.56 gears, but even they will have a limit.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just got home from a 200 mile trip. I pulled a big tex 14L-22 trailer with mine today. (https://www.bigtextrailers.com/14tl-pro-series-tilt-bed-equipment) The trailer weighs 3660lbs. Then the 25kw transmitter I picked up weighed probably another 3K total. There were a number of hills and while I wasn't able to gain speed. I didn't slow down that much if at all going up them with my TH400, 4.56, 37's, and turbo'd setup. Would I want to do this every day? No. But I think if I perhaps ran a little more fuel and boost with a intercooler, and swapped in a 4l80e or built 700r4. It'd be perfect for my uses. It really shined at the transmitter site. My father was there with his 2012 1500HD 4x4. He had to put his truck in 4x4 due to spinning. I never so much as thought about putting mine in 4x4. And the only time I even hopped a little was backing the trailer up to the loading dock in loose ground.

I guess the long and the short of it is this. A CUCV stock isn't going to hold par with a modern truck. A CUCV can however serve the duty of a occasional tow vehicle if the driver understands the limitations. The upside is that a CUCV can be "customized" with a lot of civilian parts too. I'm really starting to consider swapping in a OD transmission to mine to start driving it more. (BTW, they ride a lot better with a lot of weight in them LOL)

cucvmule

collector of stuff
They most certainly Ride a lot better with weight on the truck.
patracy, you definitely know the limitations and work within the parameters of the equipment. Every day heavy work the truck can be used as long as proper maintenance and temps are monitored.

MY civi K30 I use like a Truck, single wheel, 285 16, 6.2 40 over big valve heads 3.73 HD Turbo 400 with upgrades, 160 or 180 thermostat and hold to the floor. 18 foot trailer, 6K Bobcat, attachments, and Missouri has hills where I am at. On the highway as long as you get a run on the long grades I do just fine. But that is the most I feel comfortable with. Now and again I may put 1 or 3 tons of steel in the bed and short trip it to the scrap yard.

I have wanted to install a 91' 700 with HD parts, Torque converter and either an Atlas or Gear Venders under, over on the rear of my 205 twin stick, but like someone said by the time you add up the cost vs savings what have you gained mileage wise. But you have gained better utility use.

Now I have 3 other trucks I use plus the M1008A1 and will keep my Army Truck as it is and just replace or maintain the parts for the original intent. What parts that have been replaced are marked, have 2010 on them. So I believe that the truck went motor pool rehab before I purchased it. Even the tires are marked with a NSN number. Maybe I will change the rubber, and maybe rims to something more appropriate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks