• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative fuels in an MEP-003a?

Mr4btTahoe

Hey alls...

Was curious if anyone here was running any type of alternative fuels in their generators.

We run multiple vehicles (3 7.3 IDIs, 1 3.9 Cummins) on processed waste petroleum based oils (motor oil, atf, hydraulic, compressor, etc). It is centrifuged and thinned.

The question is how do these engines like alternative fuel? I would only run alternative fuel when at operating temp... always starting and shutting down on diesel to prevent injector coking, etc... and only running on it when it was absolutely necessary (diesel stores running low or gone).

The engines I currently run on our blend run just as they do on diesel fuel.. just a little higher EGTs (50F or so) but typically no smoke/haze and no noticeable power loss.

Keeping the generator under a decent load would be required also which wouldn't be too difficult.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpegNot me, I run farm diesel that I add 1 qt of atf and one jug of this to the bulk tank upon fill up then circulate it with the nozzle in the fill opening for a few minutes.
My bulk tank is 300gal for my tractor and generators.

jamawieb

Hey alls...

Was curious if anyone here was running any type of alternative fuels in their generators.

We run multiple vehicles (3 7.3 IDIs, 1 3.9 Cummins) on processed waste petroleum based oils (motor oil, atf, hydraulic, compressor, etc). It is centrifuged and thinned.

The question is how do these engines like alternative fuel? I would only run alternative fuel when at operating temp... always starting and shutting down on diesel to prevent injector coking, etc... and only running on it when it was absolutely necessary (diesel stores running low or gone).

The engines I currently run on our blend run just as they do on diesel fuel.. just a little higher EGTs (50F or so) but typically no smoke/haze and no noticeable power loss.

Keeping the generator under a decent load would be required also which wouldn't be too difficult.

Thoughts?
Agreed, they can run good on about 50% mixture of used motor oil during the summer months and 25% during winter. That's what I do on my 002a.

jamawieb

Higher blends tend to cause harder starting and reduced power. The generator won't hold loads as well with higher blends in my experience.

Bmxenbrett

I have run a few diesels on "blended fuel". Clean used ATF, kero, home heating oil and diesel...mostly all at the same time. Personaly i wouldnt burn waste oil unless it was clean.

I do change the engine oil in my homda accord every 1,500mi for oul sludge cleaning at the moment but that goes into my old tractor with a rear main leak.

csheath

I will warn you guys using ATF in anything other than automatic transmissions. I tried to pickle some gas fuel injection parts with straight, brand new, ATF once and it ruined them. I also mixed some with waste oil to use as a chain lube in one of my saws and found a solid rusty chain and bar after it sat a while.

Back in the day I would mix small amounts in gas as a fuel injection cleaner but saw no evidence it did any good.

The only results I could quantify using ATF in anything other than what it was made for turned out bad for me.

Bmxenbrett

No worries about useing ATF and having soft parts go bad in a diesel. Diesel is oil and so is ATF.

What happen to the gas parts?

WMO as bar oil is bad. I tryed it once too. The oil dosnt stick enough.

csheath

No worries about useing ATF and having soft parts go bad in a diesel. Diesel is oil and so is ATF.

The gas parts I used it on were a Bosch CIS fuel injection system. Common to Volvos in the late 70s, early 80s. I stuck the feed tube for the fuel pump into a quart of ATF and lifted the air flow sensor until it sprayed solid red out of the injectors. When I went to use the parts later they were solid rust and ruined. I think the detergent additives in ATF are too great for it to be used for a preservative type oil. I can see where it may have some benefit as a cleaner when used in moderation but straight out of the can or mixed 50% and left to sit has proven to be a bad thing in my experience.

I have too much invested in my diesel equipment to experiment with alternative fuels. I will stick with diesel and diesel formulated additives.

I don't know anything about Indiana but I haven't seen any kind of fuel shortage since the 70s. They may not be able to pump it due to power outages but I still get deliveries for my storage cans even when there has been a major storm. If you have a shortage situation I strongly recommend getting a storage tank or 55 gallons drums or something to keep a stash in. Treat it with additives for lubricity , biocides, and gelling and you should be good for years.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter

WMO is also loaded with other fine particulate matter unless its properly filtered. I think there would be a quickly reached point of diminished returns having to spin and filter it and it would be cheaper to just use straight SAE30 with a viscosity enhancer if necessary.

IMHO, waste oil is barely useful as furnace fuel.....its sooty as all get out and clogs things up quickly. I don't generate enough of it to even begin to justify any extra effort in storing, cleaning and filtering the stuff. I just recycle it at the dump and let them deal with it.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas parts I used it on were a Bosch CIS fuel injection system. Common to Volvos in the late 70s, early 80s. I stuck the feed tube for the fuel pump into a quart of ATF and lifted the air flow sensor until it sprayed solid red out of the injectors. When I went to use the parts later they were solid rust and ruined. I think the detergent additives in ATF are too great for it to be used for a preservative type oil. I can see where it may have some benefit as a cleaner when used in moderation but straight out of the can or mixed 50% and left to sit has proven to be a bad thing in my experience.

I have too much invested in my diesel equipment to experiment with alternative fuels. I will stick with diesel and diesel formulated additives.

I don't know anything about Indiana but I haven't seen any kind of fuel shortage since the 70s. They may not be able to pump it due to power outages but I still get deliveries for my storage cans even when there has been a major storm. If you have a shortage situation I strongly recommend getting a storage tank or 55 gallons drums or something to keep a stash in. Treat it with additives for lubricity , biocides, and gelling and you should be good for years.
I agree with you on the strong cleaning action of ATF. Thats why I keep my mix ratio in my bulk tank down to less than two quarts per 300 gallons of diesel.

It is not a good preservative oil, much too thin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks