• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra discharge port on MEP 802 water pump

PoP PoP

20181204_141029[1].jpgWhere and what. At my "RING) finger, I found this on my mil surplus 802. Do not see where or what it connects to. It had rubber pipe cut off of it, very short(could have been a cap since the rubber was very fine pores not like a hose.). Here is all I have found thus far in ARMY TM 9-2815-253-24P figure 3 part number 11. It calls for a cap. I figured it went to an external coil or something but have not found anything. The photos and videos do not even show it, that I looked at. The plan is to cap it off. Words of wisdom on this? Was getting ready to pour in the anti freeze and was doing a final check and saw it sitting there. May try starting it tomorrow after capping it, unless someone knows something different than what I found.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used for a block heater.

If you don't have a block heater, remove that fitting and put a compatible metal plug in it. I use a very light coating of Indian Head gasket shellac on things like this to seal the threads. By compatible I mean same type of metal so you don't set a galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals.

It looks pretty degraded....be sure to spray it with PB BLASTER or some type of penetrating oil and remove it gingerly or it will become a real PITA if the threads break off.

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, it's not necessary. I've seen some with a short chunk of hose and a bolt clamped into the end as a makeshift plug.
Yes, seen that on other engines. Not the best solution but will work in a pinch.

The best type of plug for that tight space would be one with an internal hex that is cleaned and painted to preserve the hex.

A 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive allen hex can be put on an extension and it brings the work out of the tight space.

Bmxenbrett

Put a rubber cap on it. There cheap and available at ebay or your local parts store. I wouldnt try to seal metal to metal unless your going to weld the hole shut.

Guyfang

Staff member
Seen it both ways. The only problem with plastic was some times it can leak. A metal hex head plug and a dab of sealer is what I used every time I had one, (come to think of it, always plastic) leak.

PoP PoP

Seen it both ways. The only problem with plastic was some times it can leak. A metal hex head plug and a dab of sealer is what I used every time I had one, (come to think of it, always plastic) leak.
Guyfang What type wrench did you use that will fit into the very limited space. Very small pipe wrench? Did you have success with the water pump mounted onto the engine or did you have to pull it? For the moment I have a gates hose with a clamp and a brass PEX plug clamped in very short. This would work but would much rater have a plug.

PoP PoP

Were you saying use metal or did decide that you always used plastic after thinking for a second. I interpreted it as saying plastic always did leak?

Guyfang

Staff member
A small pipe wrench should work. Of a good set of water pump players. You should not need to remove the pump. I always used a metal plug. The only time I noticed plastic on the water pump, was when it leaked. Might hold for a long time. But a metal plug never leaked. What ever makes you happy, is what you should do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks