• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv epa exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazboytt

Hello,

Does anyone have the file or know where to obtain information on the epa exemption for the military that stays with the vehicle throughout the life of the vehicle even if sold?

I know the import exemption but trying to find the above mentioned exemption.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Lazboytt,

Some HMMWVs have GM engines with labels that say they comply with EPA standards for the year of manufacture, so if someone were to make a statement that HMMWVs "are not street legal due to not being manufactured to US E.P.A. emissions standards", that is not true for all HMMWVs.

Here is a picture of the label on a GEP 6.5 engine, which was built under a National Security Exemption. It lists the relevant sections of the law for the NSE:

GEP engine label.jpg

40 CFR 85-1708 says: A manufacturer requesting a national security exemption must state the purpose for which the exemption is required and the request must be endorsed by an agency of the Federal Government charged with responsibility for national defense.

Clean Air Act Section 203 (b)(1) corresponds to US Code Title 42 Chapter 85 Section 7522(b)(1), which says: The Administrator may exempt any new motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, from subsection (a) of this section, upon such terms and conditions as he may find necessary for the purpose of research, investigations, studies, demonstrations, or training, or for reasons of national security.

Regarding the applicability of the exemption over the life of the vehicle, this became an issue in 2014 when the DLA stopped releasing vehicles to law enforcement and fire departments, and selling them to the public, over concerns about the emissions legality of the arrangement. The issue was settled when the EPA agreed that the exemption would continue even after the national security mission was concluded. This decision was posted on the DLA website. Here is a screenshot:

DLA-Website EPA agreement 13AUG2014.jpg

The EPA is required to keep a list, and make it available to the public, of all non-road and marine engines that are granted a NSE. (See 40 CFR 91.1008 and 89.908 ). I am not aware of any requirement that the EPA keep a list of on-road engines that are granted a NSE, but they may have it. But the NSE label should be taken at face value for any particular engine, same as a regular emissions label that states compliance with the regs...

DREDnot

Pull the sticker off the valve cover, weld in a cat, and take it through emissions.
Can you tell us more about this experience?

Did it work for you? or a friend of a friend?

The sticker on my M998 has been removed. I'm Trying to find the path of least official resistance in Maricopa county(required)...fight for recognition of the exemption, or just passing the test. My 86 CUCV with all stock exhaust passed on the dyno, so maybe the M998 can pass too???

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The sticker on my M998 has been removed. I'm Trying to find the path of least official resistance in Maricopa county(required)...fight for recognition of the exemption, or just passing the test. My 86 CUCV with all stock exhaust passed on the dyno, so maybe the M998 can pass too???
I would run the vehicle on biodiesel for the test.

Burns clean and lacks Sulphur.

tage

Yeah don't run biodiesel lol

your easiest route is to get collector car insurance on the truck. In air quality points in Arizona this special insurance will not require emissions testing.

Second. AZ does opacity and visually checks for a cat, pcv valve, and gas tank cap... 30% maricopa, and 20% in pima for opacity. Which is extremely hard to get to these numbers unless your ip is turned way up.

Don't cause waves on this with the DMV. I'll be pissed if guys like you try to fight it instead of doing the right thing and just running it on the dyno.

Emissions is not even required outside of Phoenix or Tucson.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to read up on what biodiesel does to old MV's.
Get rid of that biodiesel, for new MV buys
I ran biodiesel for YEARS AND YEARS on my Landcruiser. Aside from needing to swap out the rubber hosed and change a dirty fuel filter, it was the best thing ever.

I pulled my injectors pre-and post biodiesel, and they looked like crap before and looked new after.

BioDiesel is a cleaning agent also so your system will clean up with time.

BioDiesel is also a good lubricant, so your valves are protected.

You will never convince me that biodiesel is bad as I have a 1981 LC that runs GREAT after all these years. [I only stopped making it because I don't have the time]

I suggest you go to the Landcruiser site "Ih8mud" and look at alternative fuels discussions there.

AS FAR AS PASSING EMISIONS:

Tune up your truck with your mechanic and then have at it. Make sure fuel injection pump and injectors are working properly. I would drive the truck or idle it for at least a half hour prior to going there.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran biodiesel for YEARS AND YEARS on my Landcruiser. Aside from needing to swap out the rubber hosed and change a dirty fuel filter, it was the best thing ever.

I pulled my injectors pre-and post biodiesel, and they looked like crap before and looked new after.

BioDiesel is a cleaning agent also so your system will clean up with time.

BioDiesel is also a good lubricant, so your valves are protected.

You will never convince me that biodiesel is bad as I have a 1981 LC that runs GREAT after all these years. [I only stopped making it because I don't have the time]

I suggest you go to the Landcruiser site "Ih8mud" and look at alternative fuels discussions there.

AS FAR AS PASSING EMISIONS:

Tune up your truck with your mechanic and then have at it. Make sure fuel injection pump and injectors are working properly. I would drive the truck or idle it for at least a half hour prior to going there.

Good Luck!
Even the farmers around here won't use biodiesel .

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the farmers around here won't use biodiesel .
Farmers where I spent 14 years used it all the time.

New Diesel engines cannot use it as it is too viscous for the high pressure injector systems.

Farmers with older tech swore by it.

So if the farmers by you use newer Diesels, that's why, or they just don't know anything about it.

This is however getting off topic. I invite you to personally educate yourself rather than going by other people's opinions.

There is an alternative fuel section on the SteelSoldiers Forum where this can be continued.

:derailed:

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Farmers where I spent 14 years used it all the time.

New Diesel engines cannot use it as it is too viscous for the high pressure injector systems.

Farmers with older tech swore by it.

So if the farmers by you use newer Diesels, that's why, or they just don't know anything about it.

This is however getting off topic. I invite you to personally educate yourself rather than going by other people's opinions.

There is an alternative fuel section on the SteelSoldiers Forum where this can be continued.

:derailed:
Run all the garbage you want , we all know your a authority on everything.
:cookoo::deadhorse:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run all the garbage you want , we all know your a authority on everything.
Whatever... Stay uninformed.

You wanna personally attack me, fine. I'll take the high road.

The OP is trying to pass emissions. Was trying to help him, not argue with you.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Land cruiser is different then mil wheeled vehicles.

Skip the bio and go with red if you're cheap.
Nothing about being cheap. I had fowled injectors and a friend told me to try bioDiesel. It worked and I was impressed.

Running red is illegal.

This is still off topic.

I'm done.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever... Stay uninformed.

You wanna personally attack me, fine. I'll take the high road.

The OP is in Michigan where their are no emission tests , the OP never stated his reason for wanting the information .
The OP never mentioned passing a emission test.

My hunch witch may be wrong is he wants it related to Michigan not registering HMMWV's that were sold with the "OFF ROAD USE ONLY'" agreement.

Lazboytt

I just like to have all the information in my hands that way if anybody in any state has any questions I can help them out. I have received numerous phone calls from other states for information and I’m glad to help out when I can.

Please keep the topic clean and respectful as this is for information purposes only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tage

The OP is in Michigan where their are no emission tests , the OP never stated his reason for wanting the information .
The OP never mentioned passing a emission test.

My hunch witch may be wrong is he wants it related to Michigan not registering HMMWV's that were sold with the "OFF ROAD USE ONLY'" agreement.
Yeppp

Op is trolling.

When these trucks first were released this talk was a ban offense on here. Now not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks