Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hmmwv epa exemption

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Default Hmmwv epa exemption

Hello,

Does anyone have the file or know where to obtain information on the epa exemption for the military that stays with the vehicle throughout the life of the vehicle even if sold?

I know the import exemption but trying to find the above mentioned exemption.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hi Lazboytt,

Some HMMWVs have GM engines with labels that say they comply with EPA standards for the year of manufacture, so if someone were to make a statement that HMMWVs "are not street legal due to not being manufactured to US E.P.A. emissions standards", that is not true for all HMMWVs.

Here is a picture of the label on a GEP 6.5 engine, which was built under a National Security Exemption. It lists the relevant sections of the law for the NSE:

GEP engine label.jpg

40 CFR 85-1708 says: A manufacturer requesting a national security exemption must state the purpose for which the exemption is required and the request must be endorsed by an agency of the Federal Government charged with responsibility for national defense.

Clean Air Act Section 203 (b)(1) corresponds to US Code Title 42 Chapter 85 Section 7522(b)(1), which says: The Administrator may exempt any new motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, from subsection (a) of this section, upon such terms and conditions as he may find necessary for the purpose of research, investigations, studies, demonstrations, or training, or for reasons of national security.

Regarding the applicability of the exemption over the life of the vehicle, this became an issue in 2014 when the DLA stopped releasing vehicles to law enforcement and fire departments, and selling them to the public, over concerns about the emissions legality of the arrangement. The issue was settled when the EPA agreed that the exemption would continue even after the national security mission was concluded. This decision was posted on the DLA website. Here is a screenshot:

DLA-Website EPA agreement 13AUG2014.jpg

The EPA is required to keep a list, and make it available to the public, of all non-road and marine engines that are granted a NSE. (See 40 CFR 91.1008 and 89.908 ). I am not aware of any requirement that the EPA keep a list of on-road engines that are granted a NSE, but they may have it. But the NSE label should be taken at face value for any particular engine, same as a regular emissions label that states compliance with the regs...
    1986 M925A1
    1987 M1038
    1986 M1038
    1986 M1038
    1993 M998
    1988 M998
    1992 M998
    ???? M1045A2 - EUC submitted 8/31/19, EUC approved 1/14/19
    2003 M1045A2 - EUC pending

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cwc For This Useful Post:

desmodromic (12-17-2018), DREDnot (12-18-2018), frank8003 (12-16-2018), NDT (12-16-2018), Wolfen (12-16-2018)

Thanks

Pull the sticker off the valve cover, weld in a cat, and take it through emissions.
    Everything above is my two cents worth. If it offends you, well, deep breath.
    Back from the Bolshevik Exile.
    U.S.A Ret.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tage For This Useful Post:

TOBASH (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tage View Post
    Pull the sticker off the valve cover, weld in a cat, and take it through emissions.
    The OP is from Michigan and there are no emission tests here .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tage View Post
    Can you tell us more about this experience?

Did it work for you? or a friend of a friend?

The sticker on my M998 has been removed. I'm Trying to find the path of least official resistance in Maricopa county(required)...fight for recognition of the exemption, or just passing the test. My 86 CUCV with all stock exhaust passed on the dyno, so maybe the M998 can pass too???
    1986 M1009
    "Non Vi Sed, Arte"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DREDnot View Post

The sticker on my M998 has been removed. I'm Trying to find the path of least official resistance in Maricopa county(required)...fight for recognition of the exemption, or just passing the test. My 86 CUCV with all stock exhaust passed on the dyno, so maybe the M998 can pass too???
    I would run the vehicle on biodiesel for the test.

Burns clean and lacks Sulphur.
    T.O.B.A.S.H - When we feel frustrated with those around us. LOL

The Great Wall of China is regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. What is wrong with The Greatest Country in The World building its own???

1987 M1025 Slantback, 6.2 w/3 speed
    2017 Tesla Model X P100D
    2011 Tesla Roadster
    2003 Lifted Durango with steel bumpers
    1984 Toyota BJ-44 RHD
    Restoring 1975 Toyota Iron Pig

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DREDnot View Post

Yeah don't run biodiesel lol

your easiest route is to get collector car insurance on the truck. In air quality points in Arizona this special insurance will not require emissions testing.

Second. AZ does opacity and visually checks for a cat, pcv valve, and gas tank cap... 30% maricopa, and 20% in pima for opacity. Which is extremely hard to get to these numbers unless your ip is turned way up.

Don't cause waves on this with the DMV. I'll be pissed if guys like you try to fight it instead of doing the right thing and just running it on the dyno.

Emissions is not even required outside of Phoenix or Tucson.
    Last edited by tage; 12-16-2018 at 05:20.
    U.S.A Ret.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tage For This Useful Post:

DREDnot (12-17-2018), porkysplace (12-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOBASH View Post

Also eats up old rubber and clogs up filters. Sulfur content doesn't mean nothing when they're only testing for opacity.
    Last edited by tage; 12-16-2018 at 05:21.
    U.S.A Ret.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tage For This Useful Post:

DREDnot (12-18-2018), porkysplace (12-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOBASH View Post

You might want to read up on what biodiesel does to old MV's.
    Get rid of that biodiesel, for new MV buys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkysplace View Post
    You might want to read up on what biodiesel does to old MV's.
    Get rid of that biodiesel, for new MV buys
    I ran biodiesel for YEARS AND YEARS on my Landcruiser. Aside from needing to swap out the rubber hosed and change a dirty fuel filter, it was the best thing ever.

I pulled my injectors pre-and post biodiesel, and they looked like crap before and looked new after.

BioDiesel is a cleaning agent also so your system will clean up with time.

BioDiesel is also a good lubricant, so your valves are protected.

You will never convince me that biodiesel is bad as I have a 1981 LC that runs GREAT after all these years. [I only stopped making it because I don't have the time]

I suggest you go to the Landcruiser site "Ih8mud" and look at alternative fuels discussions there.

AS FAR AS PASSING EMISIONS:

Tune up your truck with your mechanic and then have at it. Make sure fuel injection pump and injectors are working properly. I would drive the truck or idle it for at least a half hour prior to going there.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by TOBASH; 12-16-2018 at 12:37.
    T.O.B.A.S.H - When we feel frustrated with those around us. LOL

The Great Wall of China is regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. What is wrong with The Greatest Country in The World building its own???

1987 M1025 Slantback, 6.2 w/3 speed
    2017 Tesla Model X P100D
    2011 Tesla Roadster
    2003 Lifted Durango with steel bumpers
    1984 Toyota BJ-44 RHD
    Restoring 1975 Toyota Iron Pig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast