• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case rear output flange

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I need to replace the rear driveshaft output yoke. Is all the oil in the trans going to try to get out? Do I need to drain the entire trans first?

snowtrac nome

The bearing is lubed with trans oil pressure there is a cavity behind the seal that will hold a pint or less of oil and that is all that's going to come out unless you start the truck.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK that makes a lot more sense but if it is lubed with pressure where does it drain away to? Will that passage carry oil in opposite direction? Sounds like if I do it quickly I will not lose enough oil to matter.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious how the ear got broken off? Let me guess GP forklift rash? Hopefully the shaft is not bent or case cracked. Had to be an immense force to break that part.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Drive shaft twisted off the rear u-joint then fell from under truck breaking one ear off the front flange. Did not hurt the shaft.

coachgeo

Inspect close for cracks in Tcase housing and bell housing. Whatever caused the shaft to twist off..... before that finally happened must have been putting tremendous vibes thru all those housings...

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, I have pulled the pinion yokes a couple of times. Probably on the output shaft yoke the challenge will also be breaking the nut loose from the shaft, and pulling the yoke off the shaft. You'll need a good impact, or long cheater bar, of course. I had to make a 'puller' to pull the flange, a thick steel plate (3/8" I think will fit between the oil slinger/protective flange and yoke) with a U groove to fit down behind the yoke and a bolt hole in each of 4 corners, four threaded rods to cover the length of a hydraulic jack, and another plate at the base of the jack. Said jack laid on it's side of course to push on the end of the pinion. The yoke was really on there. The whole truck seemed to jump and the jack and puller became airborne when it came off, so beware.

I can look up the lube seal number if you want to replace it (the reason I pulled mine). The original was a two piece seal, replaced by a one piece seal. There's a thread on it. [edit, on second thought the transfer output seal might not be the same as the differential pinion seal that I replaced] YMMV

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks