• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008! Couple of questions!

NickSmallEngines

I recently purchased an m1008 and love it so far! I have purchased the doghead relay part and am doing some cleanup of misc things. I noticed gen 2 light never comes on, and got to researching the site and I think this unit may have been converted to 12v, which explains why my gen 2 light never works and my voltage gauge is barely working...I think.... my batteries are wired pos to pos so parallel correct? The PO replaced starter and says the system is still 24 volt but I dont want to wire up series and fry something! Help!

shotty

If your batteries are positive to positive, then it is NOT 24v. Beyond that.. you're gonna have to do some digging on your truck. The roscommon 12v conversion is usually what you see done, and what you want to do: http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/nn10.pdf so going off that try and decipher what was done to your truck and then get it right. I believe the Gen 2 light not working is a very bad thing. Unless of course you only have Gen 1 hooked up..

NickSmallEngines

well using a multimeter i am getting 14.5- 14.7 volts or so to batteries, at idle. apparently it has been like this for 2 years according to previous owner. so would it hurt anything for 2 batteries in parallel to be charged by the alternator(s)? i am sorry i just am not an expert on this dual alternator thing yet haha

shotty

No it should be fine. I mean, it's been running all these years so it obviously works. Which alternator do you have in, the one closest to batteries or the one on the drivers side, or both?

Matt5

Banned
It take a few pics and post batteries, behind air cleaner, front of motor... and post... PO sounds clueless...

Matt5

Banned
This is a little scary... it looks like you are indeed battery 12 volt, it looks like your glow plugs are still hooked to 24 volt... (you would need to confirm that behind that plate that is behind the air cleaner is a resistor bank)

No idea how you have a 24V system when it looks like the output of gen 2 is cut and taped
No idea how the PO could have put in a 24volt starter with the batteries wired pos to pos (12 volt)
Your location says texas might explain how the GP's are working off 6 volts and still starting the truck (confirm as I said before)

Your not going to get a gen 2 light
your voltage gauge is going to be wrong
You are wired for 12 volts.

NickSmallEngines

Truck starts just fine even in this little cold snap we have had. Should I remove the glow plug resistor and run it straight? Or just leave it alone lol no problems at all except volt gauge and gen 2 light lol

nyoffroad

I'd change nothing but I would continue to explore and investagate. As far as the batteries go pos-pos thats exactly how GM did the civvie 6.2 exept they had one alternater and put the second battery over on the drivers side of the radiator. Take a close look at the glow plug resistor, it may have been left in place but bypassed with a jumper wire. If it were my truck I'd consider doing it that way.

NickSmallEngines

i turned the key on today so the glowplugs would kick on and im gettin 12 volts at the glowplugs so i guess something is done correctly right? you may be right nyoffroad i will get out there tomorrow when i have time and look for a jumper wire. thanks everyone for your help!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine definitely needs a bath.
Car wash with hot water will clean her up nice.
Just stay away from alternators.

NickSmallEngines

Thanks for the welcome! I actually just cleaned the engine bay haha. And just got done with the 3 color NATO camo as well. I'm happy with it, for a rattle can job ;)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great!

Recommend you black out your license tag number ASAP
You would be amazed at what can be found out about you with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks