• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831A vs MEP 701A

PETE BALLARD

Qestion for you genset guys- I am thinking of buying a MEP 831A or a MEP 701A and have some questions-
either one a better value?
current pricing on both?
it has been a while since I looked at Gov Liquidation- is it going away? Now Gov Planet?
is standby for the house- I realize it is a small unit Kw wise. I used to have a MEP 802 but my wife thought I was too loud and could not be run in a residential area so it had to go.
I like the 831 size and weight and operating quiet feature.
any comments or observations will be appreciated.

thanks in advance - pete

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the 831 but is is a little quirky in comparison to a constant speed set. The 701 is going to be the simpler unit hands down.

BUT.. Neither of these sets are quieter than a 802. My 831 is louder inside the house than the 802 or 803.

dav5

I don't know what the decibel levels are for the 802a vs the 831a but I find the sound from my 831a is more irritating than from my 803a. The 831a has a higher pitch. I would advise listening to both before you decide if you are worried about neighbours

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MEP-701a is LOUD, much more than a 802. I have a few 831a and like them for the most part, I highly recommend the controller replacementkloppk has developed. Save you the hassle of when the stock one decides to throw a fit. Its been a while since I have heard a 802 run in person I think the 831a would be more noticeable.

Gov Liquidation lost their contract. As far as I know it just GovPlanet. Prices have been going crazy on there lately seen some 831 with missing inverters go far well over 1k.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have said... wrong direction soundwise. I am not sure what your wife will be happy with sound wise... but the 802s arent that​ loud.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, I suspect you had an MEP002 which was an air cooled set. Those are quite a bit louder than the 80X models. The ASK was an option on the air cooled sets.

PETE BALLARD

yes, that's the one- I wanted to try to quiet it up by adding a nice sized muffler but between the size, weight and the initial operating noise I decided to let it move on

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the operating noise is the killer on those, not the exhaust. Bullet proof machines though. I would suggest you look for the equivalent machine to that, the MEP-802A. Thats probably going to be your quietest option of the group, and give you the amperage you require.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My quick average of the last 20 802As sold through GovPlanet was just over 1500, before any GP 10% fee, local sales tax, freight, etc. This was exclusive of condition, simply what they last ones sold averaged out at.

Dock Rocker

You would be shocked at how much it cuts the noise just by putting a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the unit and your house.

I have the 003 and a 200 foot “extension” cord made from 6/4 SO. That helps along with my plywood deadener .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
That's why the MEP-80X series gen sets are called TQG's. Tactically Quite Generator. I have, and often did, sleep on the bigger sets. It was warm, the vibrations put me to sleep fast, and the sound was not load at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks