• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Take care when selling your Deuce.

2deuce

I was thinking other sellers might have experiences like mine and still others contemplating selling their deuce may want to take my advice as I have learned the hard way. Do not let anyone in the cab of your deuce by themselves, especially with the engine running. The next tire kickers that want to look will find me in the drivers seat when it's running. I'm not an experienced seller so I'm the first to admit I made a mistake. Don't assume they know their way around a deuce, no matter what they say.
I started the engine and it was running smoothly. There were 2 guys looking and I was with the actual buyer when his friend climbed in the cab. I came around to the door and asked him what he was looking at. He said he was checking out the throttle lever at which point he gives it a yank all the way out. It didn't take long for the revs to top out at the governor and he then didn't know how to push it back in. He was pounding on it, but of course that won't work. I had to get him out of the way, before I could push it in. It was singing at the governed limit for probably 15 to 20 seconds. I would never do that to anything I own or anyone elses truck either. I think it was an accident that he didn't know how to push it back in, but you know what Forrest Gump says "stupid is what stupid does". I will say the engine sounded good at full song, but geez. They didn't stay long after that. I was upset with myself more than anything. Take care

Ajax MD

Welcome to the "Craigslist Generation." I learned this when selling a motorcycle some years ago. People have no respect for property, courtesy or sense anymore.

I respect that as a buyer, you want to ensure that what you're buying operates properly and is in good repair. It used to be that you could trust a potential buyer to test something out gently and respectfully. No longer. All my sale ads state: "No test drives. You can ride with me and I'll operate all systems on the vehicle for you while you observe. We'll check all fluids together."

During the purchase of my 5 ton, I didn't even ask to drive the truck, I asked the owner to take me for a drive and operate everything.

Keith_J

You probably did no harm as long as the governor is properly set. We ran them at full peg many times. One even had a bit more and would do 65+ MPH.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel for you! I had to put mine through an emission test where they floored it from idle to governor four times in a row. I thought I'd strangle the dude.
Was useless anyway. Turns out, it indeed had emissions. Blew a solid 70 on the 100 point scale. Needs to be below 55 to pass. Another story.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first truck I sold the guy sat in the passenger seat during the test drive and never got into the driver's seat until he drove away (after he bought it).

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Grief, so the IDIOT though he was going to impress you will all his knowledge and Deuce time, and you know you should ALWAYS check the throttle lever when considering buying a truck! What and IDIOT!
Karl

2deuce

I don't know what he was thinking or if he was thinking. I'm fairly certain it was a case of not thinking. I don't think people look to cause problems, it's just that they can because they really don't know what they are doing. The most dangerous ones are the guys that watch a few You Tube videos and are now confident in themselves.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do believe a Diesel that has had or close to it a chance to warm up and limber the oil can be taken to the governor for a no load test. You might have gotten lucky and no harm no foul.

2deuce

There would be less concern if I lived in Florida. Temps here were in the 30's and while the engine was running 4 or 5 minutes it still idled at 30lbs pressure because the oil was still cold. I don't know how high the oil pressure went, but I now have a leak under the oli filters dripping from the injection pump and steering column. I didn't notice a leak before. It may be a consequence of the throttle yank. I think it's probably (I hope) a filter canister leaking.

russojap

There would be less concern if I lived in Florida. Temps here were in the 30's and while the engine was running 4 or 5 minutes it still idled at 30lbs pressure because the oil was still cold. I don't know how high the oil pressure went, but I now have a leak under the oli filters dripping from the injection pump and steering column. I didn't notice a leak before. It may be a consequence of the throttle yank. I think it's probably (I hope) a filter canister leaking.
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, except I accidentally caused the engine to rev up after it ran out of fuel. Before I figured out the problem was no fuel I pulled the idle control all the way out trying to start it, then realized it was spitting air from filters so went to gas station and brought fuel back. However I never pushed the throttle back in, so the engine really reved up when it started causing a large black cloud and the oil filters started leaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks