• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you run JP8 in the CUCV M1009 ?

SSGTUSMC

Can you run JP8 in the CUCV M1009? I half a tank of diesel in now and want to know if I can put JP 8 in . thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 came from a National Guard Base in Arizona stenciled "JP8 or Diesel". When I repainted it I reproduced the stencil exactly like it came from the base.

Attachments

Keith_J

Yes, they ran them on JP8. '85+ and later came with pumps that were better suited to the lower lubricity of this fuel. Some pumps have a rebuild tag showing this, others don't but are fine.

A tank or two won't matter. But JP8 isn't tested for ignition delay (cetane index) so it can impact performance..even though start of ignition varies greatly despite cetane index. And indirect injected engines aren't too picky.

Use it as an inferior fuel if the price is right and it is clean.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JP8 an inferior fuel?!
........Hardly
JP8 is an excellent fuel and has several additives that aren’t available in the civilian world.

Run it all day long without worry.

Keith_J

JP8 an inferior fuel?!
........Hardly
JP8 is an excellent fuel and has several additives that aren’t available in the civilian world.

Run it all day long without worry.
It meets or exceeds gel point, corrosion and particulate. But it doesn't meet wear scar or cetane index as these are CI specifications for diesel. Yes, it CAN be used but it isn't a DIRECT replacement. Therefore it is an inferior replacement good. It has slightly lower energy density too.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add PRIST if its too cold outside!
You can do that with almost zero issues.......

But......do not let it sit around for a long time with Prist added to fuel.
It does not store well when mixed and will cause fuel system issues.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah but it sounds cool to tell folks your truck runs on jet fuel. ��
Hahahh...

That's one of the things I point out on my truck... 'see the size of the fuel cap? For logistics reasons they can just shove in a larger nozzle, and use JP4, JP8, or whatever they had available'...

An exclamation of 'that's awesome, it can run on jet fuel' or some variation thereof always follows.. haah

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks