• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Soldier's Story

Ajax MD

Since the VIN thread is closed and one didn't get started for 2018, I'll just drop this here. Mods please move if appropriate.

Some of you may have seen the big NJ Army National Guard "You can too!" sign on the back of my truck. The rear bumpers also show NJ-41. Well, the NJ Guard painted over the previous assignment quick and dirty, so I was able to read what lies beneath.

There's a spray painted stencil on the passenger's windshield that says "DASB." Some numbers on the passenger front bumper under the NJ paint say 642 DASB so, 642nd Aviation Support Battalion out of Brooklyn, NY with the NY Army National Guard. There's also an 2-I-042, I believe, along with a small triangle sitting on its base (as opposed to upside down). The driver's front bumper appears to have HQ-53 but that's more difficult to make out because the paint is thicker.

My research shows that the 642nd was stood up on Sept. 1st 2000. The truck is a '71 so it probably had a long career before that, but get this-

On Sept. 12th, 2001, LTC Bosco was directed to deploy the unit around the WTC as perimeter security for several weeks and was one of the first units to respond. I suspect this truck was part of this effort.

In 2004, the 642nd was deployed to Kuwait and then Tikrit, manning several forward refueling and rearming points. I realize that this doesn't necessarily mean that my truck was deployed, but I guess it's a possibility.

In 2005, the unit was further reorganized and I lose the trail.

https://dmna.ny.gov/arng/42div/42cab/?nav=642history

Ajax MD

Ok, I sussed out the most recent markings on top. It looks like the truck finished up at the Regional Training Site - Maintenance (Ordinance Training Battalion), Ft. Dix, New Jersey and it was truck #41. The driver's bumper and rear bumpers indicate NJ 41. That totally jibes with the NJ ARNG markings and the recruiting poster on the tailgate.

I looked up the little triangle visible through layers of paint on the front passenger bumper and it turns out that the triangle indicates an armored division. At one point, the driver's bumper indicated HQ 53. I'll try to figure out which set of numbers go with the triangle.

I think I'm seeing 3 sets of unit markings here. I might not get full clarity on the earliest set with the triangle.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use an orbital sander with fine wet/dry paper and go slow. The markings will pop out.

Ajax MD

Mkay...definitely 3 sets of unit markings. The final set is:

42 I 2 - 102 (triangle). I'm a Navy guy, so deciphering this is not my forte.

Ok, the 642nd DASB markings are at the bottom, so the truck was there first, around 2000.
The 42 I 2-102 (triangle) is the next layer. 2nd Bn, 102nd Armored Regiment formed in 2005, so this makes sense from the layers and timeline. I don't know what the "42 I" means though. I Corps?
The final layer of markings is the RTS-M of Ft. Dix, New Jersey.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks