• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078: un-build thread.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan is being executed for the roll cage fab, may as well share how stuff comes apart then goes back together.

A stripped out cab is en route to the fabricator (thank you, NV555). When the cage is finished, will swap the modified cab with mine.

No need for me to wonder what to do with my spare time.

**Update Dec 12, 2018** I am consolidating this thread with two others. The result will be here:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/back-to-a-big-truck.198028/

empty cab 4.jpgempty cab 2.jpg

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you consider creating an exterior cage?

Pointman
Yes, I did consider an exocage. The Fabricator tells me that the vertical elements catch on rocks/ canyon walls. I see evidence of this in the Top Truck Challenge videos. A popular trail near here is Box Canyon at Florence AZ, so you get an idea:
box canyon florence.jpg

With an internal cage the sheet metal smashes down against the cage then,well, the truck continues on with abit more character than before.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Yes, I did consider an exocage. The Fabricator tells me that the vertical elements catch on rocks/ canyon walls....
IMHO I would do both.. Internal cage with Exo roof edge rock sliders that attach to the inner cage via metal plates welded to each cage and sandwich/bolt thru the cab's skin.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO I would do both.. Internal cage with Exo roof edge rock sliders that attach to the inner cage via metal plates welded to each cage and sandwich/bolt thru the cab's skin.
I had not considered rock sliders at the roof line.

In some of those Top Truck Challenge videos, there are rigs that have small wheels mounted horizontally at the roof edge just for that purpose. I have not been impressed with those wheels in action, however.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks