• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tossing the push button start

319cssb

I had this m1009 cutvee sitting around waiting to be restored and now its time has come. The minucipality i had this truck from did some funky wiring with a push button start. I like things to work as intended and want to return it to the original set up. Checked the starter switch and neutral safety switch and they check out ok. The glow plug system is good, too.
next is the starter relay. Its probably a crap shoot doing a guessing game and id better get the multimeter out. But its raining and i got a minute of time

90Jimmy

they probably did that for a reason, just an FYI.

I changed mine because my ignition cylinder froze. Easier (and cooler, IMO) to use switches...

https://youtu.be/OAm-N_PbREE

your starter circuit is on a Pink wire, IIRC

Cool set up!!

I would like to see more if that install. The accessories switch would be useful for me, I have yet to install any additional 12v items but will be in the future. Thanks

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always love reading the stories about guys bypassing an issue.......instead of actually fixing the issue.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always love reading the stories about guys bypassing an issue.......instead of actually fixing the issue.
Considering I'd be looking at risking having to tear out my steering column, and I wanted switches anyway.....:grd:

Speaking from first hand knowledge, a lot of agencies do whatever works to get them back on the road.....Then can't find the time or even care to fix it right because 'it works'....

I'm guessing they had a relay failure and starter run-on, some 'mechanic' said it would happen again, so they put in a manual switch for it....

I've seen all sorts of buggery from fleet 'mechanics'....Some of which are no more than 'Bob, which kinda knows stuff about cars'......:p

cucvrus

Considering I'd be looking at risking having to tear out my steering column, and I wanted switches anyway.....:grd:

Speaking from first hand knowledge, a lot of agencies do whatever works to get them back on the road.....Then can't find the time or even care to fix it right because 'it works'....

I'm guessing they had a relay failure and starter run-on, some 'mechanic' said it would happen again, so they put in a manual switch for it....

I've seen all sorts of buggery from fleet 'mechanics'....Some of which are no more than 'Bob, which kinda knows stuff about cars'......:p
WHAT? Come again.

319cssb

I believe you are right. I did find a ignition switch just laying in the truck (maybe a spare or they replaced the switch already?), so I feared for the worst. But after replacing the Starter relay with one from napa (as it is described in many links here before).
I turned the key and was able to measure current from this one wire, that got disconnected from the starter. Then I clipped the wire wire to the push button and reconnected it. Once I re-established the connection, the truck then started with the ignition key.
To be honest, I didn't think it was this simple and really thought the reason was far worse. But , yes, you were right with your assumption.
thank you

Last edited:

319cssb

they probably did that for a reason, just an FYI.

I changed mine because my ignition cylinder froze. Easier (and cooler, IMO) to use switches...

https://youtu.be/OAm-N_PbREE

your starter circuit is on a Pink wire, IIRC
You're right, that is pretty cool looking
thumbs up

In my case it was the opposite. I had the bypass and wanted to fix the (unknown) issue.

Last edited:

319cssb

I took the starter relay apart and the reason for the push button became evident.

I took the starter relay apart and put it under the microscope.
As you can see in the photo I posted, the relay became a jumper.

Attachments

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the starter relay apart and the reason for the push button became evident.

I took the starter relay apart and put it under the microscope.
As you can see in the photo I posted, the relay became a jumper.

God, I love being right..

Thank you.... Thank you, I'll be here all...

(WHACK)

*ow*

(whack)

*st...*

(WHACK)

STOP THAT!

I'm allowed to celebrate my victories!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks