• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

History repeating itself or why I bought my first generator

robertsears1

Back in 2002 just after getting out of the Service, we here in NC had a terrible ice storm of up to 3/4” at this same time in December. It made a huge mess. I remember going outside that morning and hearing pine trees snapping around every 20-30”. As they say around here, it sounded like a young war. We were without power for 5 days. Fortunately, we heated with wood and could cook on the heater to some extent. I said never again.

I was familiar with Government Liquidation and the earlier good old days of DRMO, so I started to look for a generator. I ended up with a MEP-003a which works out great since it does 240v single phase for the house or 208 three phase for some of my woodworking machines. For some reason, I keep buying generators and now have the 003a, 002a, 804a, 804b, and a parts 002a I may try to get going some day. There is also the odd gas small generator here and there. I almost forgot the pumping unit I got from Ft Bragg as my last purchase from GL of military surplus (unless Gov Planet changes drastically or loses their contract) which has a 60 kw generator with a 4 cyl Perkins turbo diesel to drive a 20 hp motor. I haven’t gotten that to run yet since the injector pump will not prime for some reason. At least this brought me to this site as I sought out knowledge on these fine machines, but I digress.

Fast forward 16 years to this morning when the snowstorm that they have been talking about for a week showed up. We probably got around 6-8” here. The power went out around 0800 so I got off the grid and got the 003a going for steady dependable power. I can even run the water heater. The power came back on around 1130 so I changed back to the grid. Probably a little premature as the power has glitched enough three times while I have been composing this post to kick off the satellite. We have had around 6 power outages this year alone for various reasons ( two hurricanes, one snowstorm, idiot in a dumptruck driving around with the bed up, car wreck, and at least one thunderstorm). The really annoying thing is I know some folks about a mile down the road that have not lost power this year since their feed is from a different direction.

Here is the 003a doing it’s thing. In the far background you can just see one end of the 804b which powered the FDECU-5 that I used to cool the lower parts of my house this summer since I still haven’t got my lower geothermal heat pump replacement hooked up to the lower ducting. I believe I put almost 500 hours on that unit doing that.

Make that 4 glitches now, I think I will go back to generator power until things settle down.

Robert

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have almost a foot in northern Orange county. Thankfully the power is still on. Got a couple machines ready to go in case it does go out.

Jetred

We have over 10 inches in Vance county. Power has been off and on some. Not enough to worry with the generators. I just need the 2,000 watt invertor if it gets worse. I've got 802 and 803 if I need it. Added 100 gallon tank on front of the 803A.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We lost power last night at about 10:30 PM. I ran the MEP003A until about 11:30 AM this morning. Fantastic machine and the only piece of military surplus equipment I've bought that my wife actually likes!

robertsears1

About 1730, the local news said 200k in NC were without power. The weatherman said we should get another couple of hours of snow/sleet around 0600 Monday. Our power has quit flickering since about 1300, but I am glad I have backup power ready to go. I see no point of having a generator not being used if I lose power over 5 minutes. I am also glad to have found all the help on generators and such over the years on this site.

Robert

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
To watch where power is on and off in the USA
goto here

https://poweroutage.us/

as to a few minutes ago...........

Top Areas by Outages
North Carolina 151,132
Virginia 87,936
South Carolina 69,722
Tennessee 12,642
California 12,279
Last Updated
12/9/2018, 8:07:03 PM

Click down thru it to get to your own power company and place.
It is continuously updated.
FM

Jetred

I’ve been using the poweroutage.us website since someone posted it on here. I think it updates every 10 minutes. I watched during Florence to keep track of where the worst part was. The news had concentrated its efforts in Wilmington, where the eye was predicted to make landfall. Watching poweroutage.us showed me how bad Morehead City and New Bern was getting hit. All of Carteret county went down fast.

Watching the colors of the counties change as a storm travels closer to you, gives you a little notice when you might expect to loose power. The counties change color according to the percent of customers without power. Big thanks to who originally posted it. If it was you, frank, thanks man.

justacitizen

last week before the storm hit i started my moms 003a my two 002a's and the 802a just to base line everything ahead of the storm. i received 0 inches of snow and 0 inches of ice and 0 mph of wind. the temps rose to near 50 during the day and all was well. our Governor declared an emergency for all 77 county's.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jetred;The counties change color according to the percent of customers without power. Big thanks to who originally posted it. If it was you said:
Yeah it was me, important stuff there, can watch and plan, like you said.
I in Ft. Lauderdale so I know I am watching......................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks