• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle Came Loose...

LT67

Any ideas what broke?? I didn't think a 14 bolt FF would break like this. Right away I noticed there's hardly any fluid in the differential.... and yes I noticed the leaf spring. Glad I was very close to the house!!

47573217_2042174535825935_180914089910861824_o.jpg 47576922_2042174485825940_1070104970247798784_n.jpg

ke6axc

Looks to me like the bearings failed. Looks like the inner races are still on the spindle. I've seen this once before, but the truck was overloaded.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

nyoffroad

WOW! At first I thought the lock nut failed and the nut just unscrewed itself but then I enlarged it and saw that that the bearing must've failed and somehow came apart and went over the nut! "
I noticed there's hardly any fluid in the differential."
I'd replace everything on that side and be checking the other side and center section for bearing wear.
I didn't see anything with the spring, what did I miss?

cucvrus

I had to fix more then 1 rear CUCV axle like that. Only 1 was able to be saved. That axle stub looks like it may be wasted. That thing has been screaming for a while. Shame that is an expensive fix. I am sure the hub is ruined also. I had a local truck shop that had a die to correct the threads. Good Luck report back. This is a good wake up call for others that never bother to do maintenance or double check things. One I had lock up was on a friends and he was leaving my place after putting rear brakes and axle seals in. He made it 5 miles and the right rear locked up from lack of oil after having the hubs apart and the axle leaking. He told me the oil was full. When he got it brought back the right side was on the ground and no oil was coming out till the truck was setting with no wheel on the right leaning. Shame it happened. I hope it all works out.

LT67

WOW! At first I thought the lock nut failed and the nut just unscrewed itself but then I enlarged it and saw that that the bearing must've failed and somehow came apart and went over the nut! "
I noticed there's hardly any fluid in the differential."
I'd replace everything on that side and be checking the other side and center section for bearing wear.
I didn't see anything with the spring, what did I miss?
Look at the top leaf spring real close, it's welded....

LT67

I had to fix more then 1 rear CUCV axle like that. Only 1 was able to be saved. That axle stub looks like it may be wasted. That thing has been screaming for a while. Shame that is an expensive fix. I am sure the hub is ruined also. I had a local truck shop that had a die to correct the threads. Good Luck report back. This is a good wake up call for others that never bother to do maintenance or double check things. One I had lock up was on a friends and he was leaving my place after putting rear brakes and axle seals in. He made it 5 miles and the right rear locked up from lack of oil after having the hubs apart and the axle leaking. He told me the oil was full. When he got it brought back the right side was on the ground and no oil was coming out till the truck was setting with no wheel on the right leaning. Shame it happened. I hope it all works out.
For right now it's sitting on jackstands until I can have someone more qualified than me look at it. If it can be saved, I'll save up the funds to fix it. If not I'll part it out...

snowtrac nome

both wheel bearings failed the inner is what keeps the drum and hub on the truck. my wife drove the pi$$ out of my old 76 chevy when I was in Iraq the day I got home this same thing happened to me. I was able to torch the races off and re thread the nut. as I remember I was even able to save the hub. Good luck if you are paying some one to make the repairs it may be more cost effective to replace the whole axle with a new one as you don't know the extent of the damage done to the differential. your oil went some place most likely out the pinion seal due to bad bearings.

cucvrus

I remember buying them CUCV 14 bolt axles in the crates for $400. in the late 90's. Someone has a good axle for you. All you need is the complete rear axle housing. I had a few but no more. It will be an inexpensive repair if you can just find the rear axle complete. Good Luck.

LT67

I remember buying them CUCV 14 bolt axles in the crates for $400. in the late 90's. Someone has a good axle for you. All you need is the complete rear axle housing. I had a few but no more. It will be an inexpensive repair if you can just find the rear axle complete. Good Luck.
A 14 bolt FF where I'm at is minimum $800-900... and that's assuming one can be found.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't scrap it yet. I might have a deal for you. I have the back half of an M1008. Bought it for the frame section and rear axle. I was going to part out the axle as I needed the locker. The major drawback is that the rear is in NC and I'm limited in my ability to fetch it.

LT67

Don't scrap it yet. I might have a deal for you. I have the back half of an M1008. Bought it for the frame section and rear axle. I was going to part out the axle as I needed the locker. The major drawback is that the rear is in NC and I'm limited in my ability to fetch it.
And I'm almost in Alabama.. lol

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Axle Surgeons of Atlanta Inc can replace the spindle on it , if your not in a hurry you can probably get a better deal when they have more work in your area
since they come to you.
Axle Surgeons of Atlanta
2818 Mount Carmel Rd
Hampton, GA 30228
(404) 352-0099

LT67

Axle Surgeons of Atlanta Inc can replace the spindle on it , if your not in a hurry you can probably get a better deal when they have more work in your area
since they come to you.
Axle Surgeons of Atlanta
2818 Mount Carmel Rd
Hampton, GA 30228
(404) 352-0099
Thank you for the heads up... in the meanwhile it's going to sit on jackstands until funds are available to fix it.

Chaski

A 14 bolt FF where I'm at is minimum $800-900... and that's assuming one can be found.

That is one impressive failure.

If those bearings were that bad… and that dry, my guess is that the rest of it isn't in primo shape. Watch your local facebook trading post / Craigslist / Pick and Pull (self service wrecking yards). You should be able to get back on the road for a few hundred dollars. Take your time and read up on that axle. It is one of the easiest ones out there to work on and set up gears in. Got to think that axle was in literally millions of pickups and SUVs. Figure out where your local self service wrecking yards are and start shelling out the $2 to get in and walk around. Last week I was at a Pick-and-pull in Redding CA with multiple 14 bolts in it, including a couple of the newer ones with the finned housing. They put them under a boatload of 3/4 ton GMC pickups and SUVs.

With a little reading and some basic tools you can swap your locker into whatever you get, and gears if needed...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
U Pick yards are a good idea. Let me add this. Later model (88 up body style) have metric studs. Not a big deal unless you don't find out until your trying to bolt on the tires.

LT67

That is one impressive failure.

If those bearings were that badÂ… and that dry, my guess is that the rest of it isn't in primo shape. Watch your local facebook trading post / Craigslist / Pick and Pull (self service wrecking yards). You should be able to get back on the road for a few hundred dollars. Take your time and read up on that axle. It is one of the easiest ones out there to work on and set up gears in. Got to think that axle was in literally millions of pickups and SUVs. Figure out where your local self service wrecking yards are and start shelling out the $2 to get in and walk around. Last week I was at a Pick-and-pull in Redding CA with multiple 14 bolts in it, including a couple of the newer ones with the finned housing. They put them under a boatload of 3/4 ton GMC pickups and SUVs.

With a little reading and some basic tools you can swap your locker into whatever you get, and gears if needed...
These 14 bolt full floaters are not an inexpensive easy find in Ga. Everyone knows what they're worth hence me mentioning that they're going for $800-900...

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Wow open diffs around here in great condition , 250.00 all day long. I hope an open diff where you are at is not 800.00 bucks.

The Corp 14 has too be hands down the best pickup rear ever. The units still in service and used for dirt tracks are just great. With the Dana 60 and 70 close behind. One of the most overlooked maintained axles ever. Abuse and punishment, even the brakes have great reputations. But without lubrication, and failure is close behind.

LT67

Wow open diffs around here in great condition , 250.00 all day long. I hope an open diff where you are at is not 800.00 bucks.

The Corp 14 has too be hands down the best pickup rear ever. The units still in service and used for dirt tracks are just great. With the Dana 60 and 70 close behind. One of the most overlooked maintained axles ever. Abuse and punishment, even the brakes have great reputations. But without lubrication, and failure is close behind.
I would be lucky to find a bare housing for $250...

tourus

Just my two cents .. ok you had a bearing failure ok.. since the truck is home and on jack stands you can now read the manuals and watch some you tube and fix that. To me you are talking about a whole lot of work when you have not taken the time to take apart what you have and access just how much damage there really is. get things cleaned up be fore you start talking about all the extreme end of repairs. like replacing whole axle and new spindles etc. get the old races off and clean up the seal area and see just what damage is done. cut old races off with a small die grinder and chisel get old nut off and check threads the go buy at napa bearings and races and new seals if the area around the seal is bad get a 2 piece seal the kit has a new wear ring for the seal. don't make a mole hill out of an ant hill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks