• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front winch setups

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was hoping folks would post pics of your front winch mounts. Along with any commentary about what works and what doesn't. Hydro, electric, and PTO.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken could you be a little more specific? do you want to see a 5 ton hydraulic winch, a PTO driven Deuce Winch or the 12 volt electric winch on my 4 wheeler? We all have tons of winches what do you want to see?
Karl

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the past 50 years I have had several GM trucks with front winches, all of them mounted on big heavy ugly aftermarket bumpers. On my bucket list is to have a behind-the-bumper 24-volt electric, and power it from the 24V cable to the slave outlet. I envision mounting the winch between the frame rails under the radiator support, with the fairlead plate right up behind the CUCV bumper so that the exterior fairlead is mounted onto the license plate area and strong. I also am hearing some positive things about nylon rope being used in lieu of steel rope. I guess if additional strength is required, you could double the rope through a pulley. I did an internet search and found a few photos -

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was hoping for pics and ideas for front winches on a CUCV. Any electric , hydro, or pto drivin. In the 80's I had a PTO on a 77 K20 so I know they are out there. I too would like to go behind the bumper. I am hoping to keep as much of a approach angle as possible. I have a few hills to climb. I currently have a hyd winch for a Humvee. But I don't know yet if I want to use it for my 1028 or my 998. What did yall use for mounts and can you post some pics of them?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the 70s Vic Hickey created the Sidewinder winch. They are a rare and sought out commodity. Only available in 12V, they are ideal for hidden mounting. Mounting kits are like hens teeth but can be fabricated. I have one in the basement for a future project.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the Info Kenny, That last link looks pretty sweet. I have a spare CUCV grill guard. I might go that route.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the Info Kenny, That last link looks pretty sweet. I have a spare CUCV grill guard. I might go that route.
No worries Kenny. I've not pulled the plug on ordering one yet. I'm thinking the 18,000# winch might be too much winch.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed Kenny. I'm looking at a 24V 9000# Ramsey. I'll keep a snatch block in the truck just incase. But I am surprised at the extra cost for 24Volt models. It looks like It is cheaper to get a 12V and replace the motor and solenoid. I have a hydro Humvee winch that I'm considering removing the eletrics and using a valve from a log splitter mounted at the bottom of the dash. It might hold up better after fording water.

ssdvc

I like this set-up for it's clean looking installation, but it you are stuck in the mud, nose down, access would be limited without a lot of digging. Plus, that directional handle looks too exposed to me. I like it, but I am still looking at alternatives.

Someone could probably make a nice little profit if they came up with and sold a bumper or add on section that worked just for our CUCV's that was heavy duty, clean and kept the look of (close to) originality. I would be in for one, just sayin !

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty cool. I've never seen one of those before. Could you post some pics of yours since it's out of the truck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here's the Sidewinder. Solenoid pack isn't attached or even in the house. Several views give you an idea of how it's built. The arm on the top of the drum disengages it for freewheel. There were different kits that ran that up through the core support. Hope the pics give you an idea of it's layout.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks