• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blow By Tube Leak

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is leaking something that has the consistency of brake fluid out of the blow by tube. Any ideas on what this might be. Before inspecting I thought I had blown a break line.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's probably brake fluid.

The truck's master cylinder was originally vented into the road draft tube.

There was a WMO to eliminate this.

Your air pack probably needs repair.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few minutes searching should find you all you need to know.

Please try searching before posting a thread, you'd be amazed what we have covered in 20 years!

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there another route for the brake fluid to get there? I have the vent tube from the top of the master cylinder running up in front of my firewall in anticipation of putting a remote reservoir.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it. I did overfill the MC a bit, but I will probably just rebuild the air pack for good measure. I’ll add that to the ever growing list of things this truck needs. Some days I gotta keep reminding myself that I do this for fun and it’s a hobby. For Christmas I want more tools and more parts. 😂

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"Some days I gotta keep reminding myself that I do this for fun and it’s a hobby".
Your hobby can last at least another 50 years and will be very satisfying.
Just think about how much the government paid for your truck and you paid like 15% of that for a forever truck.

Make yourself a brake fluid sightglass/ bleeder/ reservoir and you can watch the level go up and down with brake application and will instantly know if fluid is leaking someplace. And put an LED in the dash somewhere that illuminates with brake pedal application; won't tell you if lamps actually light but that the switch is working.
View attachment master cylinder remote roscommon nn17.pdfIMG_2115.jpgbrake reservoir 1.jpg

When you put "remote reservoir" then do like it says beginning of page two in the PDF and remove the splashplate from inside the MC.
IMG_9202.jpgIMG_9201.jpgIMG_9205.jpgIMG_9203.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks