• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20k Garwood winch install on a Deuce

Ok guys I picked up a NOS 20k Garwood winch I plan on installing on my bobber. Here's a video of the winch. I am going to be looking for the Level wind assembly for it as well. I am looking for the TM for this winch as I need to swap sides for the pto hookup from the passenger side to driver's side. Here's the threads I have found on this subject. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15174-5-ton-winch-on-m35a2 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...I-have-a-5-Ton-on-my-Deuce-need-to-right-size http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?3760-Will-the-winch-from-813-5-ton-work-on-m35a2-Deuce http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103077-5-ton-winch-on-a-deuce. I found a pic as well. https://youtu.be/SEsU0CxwrRo

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just remember that will be a LOT of weight on the front axle, a lot more then a deuce winch.

Yes it will be trust me my back feels it today after pickup yesterday. I have 18 ply 1400-20 NATO NDTs. If I need to address anything as far as my leaf springs I'll look into that after the install. I will also be looking at anything I can do to reduce weight in other areas as well up front if need be. I have been reading a lot on this subject.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes it will be trust me my back feels it today after pickup yesterday. I have 18 ply 1400-20 NATO NDTs. If I need to address anything as far as my leaf springs I'll look into that after the install. I will also be looking at anything I can do to reduce weight in other areas as well up front if need be. I have been reading a lot on this subject.
It is not so much a spring issue but a axle itself loading issue, the front axle is very close to max loading with the deuce winch.

Ok after some winch wrestling I finally have the winch apart. It had some water in it so have to change the worm gear bearings and lower seals. Does anyone have part numbers for those and can I get them at Napa?

rustystud

You can add a front axle "truss" . I've seen this done several times. I'm thinking of doing one this summer. Of course this "truss" will do nothing for the extra load on the wheel bearings.

dilligaf13

I'm just curious why you went with this winch setup, especially on a bobber? I know the PTO winches are better than electric but I really think the warn 18K would have been better if you wanted more power than the standard deuce winch.

I know but got a good deal on it only need to change the worm gear bearings and seals. I don't think Im going to use the stock rollers they weigh almost as much as the winch so a huge weight savings there. I just can't find those bearing and seal numbers in the TM I have.

My son and I cleaned up all the winch parts yesterday. I ordered 2 worm gear seals and 2 bearings from Car Quest. I just have to assemble it and figure out mounting and if need be I ll make up a small drive shaft and mount a bearing carrier if I need to angle the PTO shaft. I still have lots to think about.

dilligaf13

Have you thought of mounting it in the rear, maybe something like a M756 or even between the frame rails? A couple guys on here have done really nice mount jobs in various places on the rear of their bobbers and that would take care of any weight issues on the front axle. I mounted a warn 18K on the rear of a bobbed 5 ton a while back and it worked out nicely (not that the 5 ton would have cared where I mounted it)....

No I thought that would be too much work for what I want it for. I am not going to put those rollers back on and am looking at lighter options for my front bumper. That winch is so much lighter without the rollers installed. I am entertaining a lot of ideas.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal opinion is that a winch installed between the frame rails, driven hydraulically, with a cable that can be run out the front or the back, as needed, is the most versatile setup.
It does not even need a level wind. The cable just has to pass between two tighter fitting pulleys that lightly compress with an air cylinder, creating enough tension on the cable that it always winds in under load.

If I had the fabrication skills, that is what I'd go for.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks