Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: M813 Wake Up Thread

Thanks

Toby,

Not sure if you wanted to see anything specific, but here are several photos- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Motorpool:

(Isn't owning one of this insanity enough??)
    1971 M813 "Ox" (named for Dewey Oxburger)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ajax MD For This Useful Post:

BKubu (02-11-2019), tobyS (07-03-2019)

Thanks

Well, I'm glad I take a lot of short test drives.

Something is definitely going wrong, but I haven't been able to identify it yet. Once or twice, I heard sort of a howling when I drive the truck. It really reminds me of a dry throw-out bearing but I'm not certain that's what it is. I think it might be wheel or brake related.

I heard the howl yesterday, so I turned around to head home. Then, I heard a distinct, high pitched, metal rubbing sound as if something were rubbing in a brake drum. Sort of a "Shhh-shhh" not a squeal. Then the sound stopped. On the final approach to my driveway as I rounded a corner, the truck seemed to hop as if the brakes had hung up for a moment.

Ok, now I'm back in the safety of my driveway.
    - None of the wheels were hot, or even warm to the touch.
    - The brakes have always operated normally. Firm (not hard) pedal. They don't pull, they stop the truck normally. There is no fluid leaking anywhere.
    - The brakes don't drag. The truck has always rolled freely upon releasing the pedal.
    - Once or twice, I have heard a pretty heavy "thunk" upon releasing the brake pedal, which I thought was odd.

I think I have a few things going on here- the air pack might be misbehaving a little and I might have some adjusters or shoes starting to hang up. The howling may be a wheel bearing but I'm not sure.

I guess it's time to park it and take the wheels off.
    Motorpool:

Thanks

Ok, thanks to my Wife Soldier B helper, the rubbing around was isolated to the parking brake not fully releasing. That's my fault because I adjusted it too tightly.

The howling and the occasional thunk, I'm still working on.
    Motorpool:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax MD For This Useful Post:

BKubu (02-14-2019)

Thanks

Hey Ajax,

Any updates on your wake up project? Last I read you were installing a new T-case...what's the latest?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax MD View Post
    Ok, thanks to my Wife Soldier B helper, the rubbing around was isolated to the parking brake not fully releasing. That's my fault because I adjusted it too tightly.

The howling and the occasional thunk, I'm still working on.
    My 817 had a similar problem. At 30 mph there was a lot of noise that I thought were dry wheel bearings. I even bought new bearings. I took it to a friends shop. We took the front and rear driveshafts off and ran it up to speed. I could see the emergency drum had some play and was a big part of the noise. I took hold of the drum and moved it up and down. It had too much play.

Long story short, it was a nearly new transfer case that had not had the (3 internal shaft) bearings properly set. All three shafts were loose. We took it out and I took it apart, seeing bearings, seals and gears were new condition (so lucky). I re-assembled it and set the bearings to a light pre-load. All was well in 817 land after that. I hauled 120 loads from demo on my downtown property....what a truck...miss it.
    M35A3 4x4 "Money Pit"
    M929A2
    (14) 5 tons bought and sold

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by US6x4 View Post
    Hey Ajax,

Any updates on your wake up project? Last I read you were installing a new T-case...what's the latest?
    I haven't given up, just been wrapped up with work and summer. Mainly, the issue is getting the new transfer case of the can and moving them around.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6