• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Self Recovery Querstions M936A1

rickpolak1

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help they might provide. I have scoured the internet looking for any information on how the front winch operates on a M936A1 wrecker. I have figured out the crane and rear winch but not the self recovery up front. If anyone could posssibly provide me with fool proof step by step instructions on the procedure it would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming it doesnt run off the transfer case and transmission as the rear components do, due to the fact that you may need power to your wheels for self recovery? Can you use the front winch to recover other vehicles as well? Can it be used without power to its own drivetrain?
Again, thank you all for any advice!

snowtrac nome

the 900 series is different to, engage the pto on a 900 truck you must put the trans into drive , engage the pto than back to neutral to raise the rpm to run the hydraulic pump.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I do not believe a 939 front winch can be used while powering the wheels, the -10 WILL have ALL the info on this issue that you are looking for.

rickpolak1

I tried 100 different ways to Sunday over the weekend, but will try this again tomorrow, I believe the PTO was grinding a bit when I did this last. I appreciate the advice.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to unlock the winch drum and engage the winch with the lever on the winch. It is best to have two people running a winch. Be safe!!

Remember like noted above the transmission has to be in Drive (1-5) to engage the PTO, then put the transmission in neutral, Then check to see if the PTO off the transmission in turning.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could someone write all this down in a useable format like an operators manual?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Books are great but friends helping friends is even better.
Coffey.
This site is really good about friends helping friends; part numbers, sources of supplies, simple tech guidance, etc.
Operating a 36K lb wrecker w/ three separate cable applications requires knowledge and guidance found in the tech manuals, not some notes jotted down from a web site. The OP could easily end up killing one of his friends as they attempt to operate the vehicle. -not to mention damaging the equipment. Folks send thousands of dollars on the truck and fail to procure a $25 manual.
Be safe , find and read the manual.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree but this subject has been discussed before.
Our friends should lead someone to the information they require not just say go read a book they may not even be aware of.
I've been here for a few years now and I still have trouble finding the information I seek.

Besides it's the guys who have been doing this a long time who maybe go find a book not new ones who may not know a book exist.

This site is like any other business we need new people to survive but if we run them off we are only hurting ourselves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks