• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 CB1 Tripping

CapePrep

Hello Gentlemen,
I went to exercise my 803 just now. Started fine, as it usually does. Ran for maybe a minute and just shut down. No fuel pump noise, which I know means I have lost 24 volts. Realized that the "CB1" is tripping. I went thru my manuals, looked at the schematics and can't really see how to diagnose. I know that it is for the DC charging circuit, but seems to be tied into quite a few other things. The dead crank will turn the motor no problem. Can someone point me in a direction as where to start? I guess this is why we test these machines on a regular basis. Winter is here in the northeast and I just want to make sure it is ready to go. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

CapePrep

OK, "Idiot Alert".......after panicking and posting the above, I went back out with a copy of the schematics while I awaited all of the knowledgable people to graciously try to help me. When in reality, I should have done a little more investigation and looked closer inside control panel and I would have seen the wire bale that holds one of the relays on had somehow come loose and was laying across the terminal strip behind the relays and shorting out!!! And yes, they do get very hot once electricity is applied, think heating element! So, I am tempted to remove this post out of embarrassment, but will keep it here so that others can maybe use it as motivation to not panic, take your time and look things over before posting!
It is up and running 3 heating elements for the last hour and all is good with the MEP Gods again.
Thanks for the reply Guy....

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, "Idiot Alert".......after panicking and posting the above, I went back out with a copy of the schematics while I awaited all of the knowledgable people to graciously try to help me. When in reality, I should have done a little more investigation and looked closer inside control panel and I would have seen the wire bale that holds one of the relays on had somehow come loose and was laying across the terminal strip behind the relays and shorting out!!! And yes, they do get very hot once electricity is applied, think heating element! So, I am tempted to remove this post out of embarrassment, but will keep it here so that others can maybe use it as motivation to not panic, take your time and look things over before posting!
It is up and running 3 heating elements for the last hour and all is good with the MEP Gods again.
Thanks for the reply Guy....
Well, now that I've quoted it, it stays! :beer:

This and another post made responding to my picture of the small dremel wire brushes I bought the other day has made me reconsider using them as they are conductive and it was pointed out to me that they could break off the brush and "migrate" to unwanted places.

I will be using fiber bristles instead.

Glad you found the cause and wanted to suggest that if necessary to secure the relays that maybe a zip tie could be used.

Nothing to be embarrassed about....we are all here to learn and teach and the real life experiences of each of us are the best of both!

Guyfang

Staff member
This is just my two cents worth. I have NEVER seen a loose relay in these sets. Never. If you stick it into the socket right, its in.

If it were up to me, I would toss those DARNED bails into a river! I have seen who knows how many problems solved by finding them laying across terminals.

Just my two cents worth.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just my two cents worth. I have NEVER seen a loose relay in these sets. Never. If you stick it into the socket right, its in.

If it were up to me, I would toss those DARNED bails into a river! I have seen who knows how many problems solved by finding them laying across terminals.

Just my two cents worth.
I tend to agree, those relays are actually very stable in their sockets as is. The only situation I could think of where they might need securing is a trailer mounted unit running on miles of hard packed washboard roads....something that is unlikely in 99.9 cases. There is not enough vibration in the genset to dislodge them if they are plugged in correctly.

While I was in the military, I was involved for months in field testing a new artillery fire direction system. We had to drive for hours on end on such roads to see what shook loose in the shelter. We all suffered from sea sickness in short order.....the computer shelter and all the components were fine.
I'd toss the bails too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks