Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Guilty Pleasure

  1. #41
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,753
    Thanks
    2,218
    Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,076 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Recovry4x4 View Post
    DTIDs for the M1009 do list $32.xxx as a price. I love all y'all s new trucks. Not going to have one in my lifetime. I'll just keep pushing my HHR.
    That's what I thought to. Then after we paid off the house that freed up enough money to justify buying the new truck. This will be the last new vehicle I will ever own and also it is the first new vehicle I have ever owned ! I have always used old vehicles to drive to work, while the wife got the new car to drive and take care of the family with. I never minded though. Though my son used to get embarrassed if I would pick him up at school in my old Ex cop car ! I really liked that old Ford "Crown Victoria" though ! It was a sleeper used by under-cover agents for drug busts. So the body was never taken care of. It looked like crap but it could really move when you hit the go pedal ! Then there was the old Chevy Celebrity, the Ford LTD, The 1979 IHC Scout, the Chevy Corvair, the 1972 Chevy pick-up, the 1968 Cadillac Deville, the Chevy 1954 pick-up, and the story goes on and on. All used vehicles, but well taken care of. Now I have a new truck all for me !

  2. #42
    Administrator patracy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buchanan, GA
    MVPA
    37424E
    Posts
    13,161
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanked 11,855 Times in 3,214 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustystud View Post
    Most all manufactures have tried to get out of manuals for some time now. The cost of repairs is extremely high for any manual transmission and with all the trucks coming out with these high mileage warranties the manufactures have had to eat a lot of transmissions from people who don't know how to drive manuals anymore. In fact my 1 ton didn't even have an option for a manual transmission. I had a talk with the regional Chevrolet Service Trainer before I left the Transit dept, and he informed me that GM was trying to phase out all manual transmissions due to the warranty issues. He was giving a class on the new 6L90E transmission used in small transit busses at the time.
    Dodge still provides a manual option behind the Cummins. Which boggles my mind why they'd not make this happen in the Jeep. Course the 2.8VM powered diesel Jeep with a manual has been a thing in the UK market for nearly a decade now.
    M114
    1992 M1038
    1969 M35A2 wo/w, hoist in bed, heater, Ooga horn, Recentered HEMTTs and 395's, "Candy Smasher"
    1968 M543A2 Wrecker - You know, for heavy lifting...
    1984 M931 - SEMTT project
    198? M270 trailer TBD...
    1985 M1008 - SMOKEY 8" lift, 37" humvee 24 bolt wheels/tires, turbocharged.
    And a few M105 and M101 and other trailers

  3. #43
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,753
    Thanks
    2,218
    Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,076 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patracy View Post
    Dodge still provides a manual option behind the Cummins. Which boggles my mind why they'd not make this happen in the Jeep. Course the 2.8VM powered diesel Jeep with a manual has been a thing in the UK market for nearly a decade now.
    I know that Dodge has had lots of problems with their automatics behind the Cummins engine. That engine is a "beast" and can make some crazy torque ! Since Dodge cannot use the "Allison" transmission like GM can, their forced to use their less then desirable automatic or a pretty good manual transmission like the NV4500 or it's larger brother. I'm sure once they finally figure out all the little bugs in their automatics they will also discontinue all manual transmissions.
    Though why they don't allow the use of the manual in the Jeep now is pretty strange.

  4. #44
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Adams NY
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustystud View Post
    I know that Dodge has had lots of problems with their automatics behind the Cummins engine. That engine is a "beast" and can make some crazy torque ! Since Dodge cannot use the "Allison" transmission like GM can, their forced to use their less then desirable automatic or a pretty good manual transmission like the NV4500 or it's larger brother. I'm sure once they finally figure out all the little bugs in their automatics they will also discontinue all manual transmissions.
    Though why they don't allow the use of the manual in the Jeep now is pretty strange.
    Actually the automatic transmission that Dodge uses can be built up to handle more power than the Allison can be built up to handle. Suncoast Transmissions has built up a few Dodge transmissions to fit behind some high power Duramax diesels

  5. #45
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,753
    Thanks
    2,218
    Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,076 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Two Stroke Madness View Post
    Actually the automatic transmission that Dodge uses can be built up to handle more power than the Allison can be built up to handle. Suncoast Transmissions has built up a few Dodge transmissions to fit behind some high power Duramax diesels
    I know the transmission can be built up to handle the torque. Almost any transmission can be modified to handle tremendous power. The problem is the cost and the factory is not gong to spend that kind of money modifying their transmissions. Also, if you modify the Allison it can handle tremendous power also. More so then the "RFE" series Dodge can. That includes the new "68RFE" transmission. The gears and clutch packs are just bigger. Much easier to build power from. I built a 4L60E that could handle over 800HP. It cost over $2000.00 in parts alone. No manufacturer is going to spend that much more money per vehicle to build up their transmissions.
    If you have the money, they can build you the parts.
    Last edited by rustystud; 12-18-2018 at 19:38.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

    fitz (12-18-2018), TGP (IL) (12-18-2018)

  7. #46
    4 Star General cucvrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Jonestown Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,128
    Thanks
    2,324
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 2,888 Posts

    Default

    Hopping on your thread Rusty. Mine arrived today. actually 2 of them arrived. I had a duplicate order. All is well. I called the rail yard today after tracking it and they loaded the 2 on the car carrier and delivered them. I am only buying one of them. 2019 Silverado Custom Trail Boss. Factory lift kit and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. DSCF5863.jpgDSCF5864.jpgDSCF5865.jpgDSCF5866.jpgDSCF5867.jpgDSCF5868.jpgDSCF5869.jpgDSCF5870.jpgDSCF5871.jpgDSCF5878.jpgBig difference from the M1028 I have been driving.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

    4x4 Forever (Yesterday), dougco1 (01-16-2019)

  9. #47
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,753
    Thanks
    2,218
    Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,076 Posts

    Default

    Looks real good !! Don't you just love that new car smell "cucvrus" !

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

    cucvrus (01-16-2019)

  11. #48
    General
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    CT and MD
    Posts
    528
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 157 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Real Nice Rick, real nice !!!
    CT and MD

    1984 M1009 - Camo - CUCVRUS Truck
    1986 M1009 - Navy Grey - Southern CUCV Resto Truck - SOLD

    Both Bone Stock
    Slow is Fast, Maybe That's Why I Love Diesels !!!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ssdvc For This Useful Post:

    cucvrus (Yesterday)

  13. #49
    Emerald Shellback 4x4 Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, Louisiana - Chaguaramas, TnT
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    3,404
    Thanked 359 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    Hopping on your thread Rusty. Mine arrived today. actually 2 of them arrived. I had a duplicate order. All is well. I called the rail yard today after tracking it and they loaded the 2 on the car carrier and delivered them. I am only buying one of them. 2019 Silverado Custom Trail Boss. Factory lift kit and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires.DSCF5864.jpgDSCF5865.jpgDSCF5866.jpgDSCF5867.jpgDSCF5868.jpgDSCF5869.jpgDSCF5870.jpgDSCF5871.jpgDSCF5878.jpgBig difference from the M1028 I have been driving.
    Something tells me I don't wanna know the price on that 'Thang"!!! Looks NICE though!!
    ________________________________________
    Any ship can be used as a minesweeper - Once.

    Guess I gotta change my handle to 6X6 Forever...

    1971 AMG M35a2 w/w
    1987 M1008

    Below, my mentors!
    [19:59:56] doghead: I am almost always happy
    Wreckerman893: My reputation preceeds me.
    How about "I was inmate of the month at Fort Leavenworth" .
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    (We do have a wanted section.)

  14. #50
    General dougco1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    443
    Thanks
    623
    Thanked 280 Times in 155 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Forever View Post
    Something tells me I don't wanna know the price on that 'Thang"!!! Looks NICE though!!
    Its a custom Chevy and it comes with a custom price. What ever the price, I think its only fitting for Rick to own it..
    To bad he can't use it at the moment, "buried behind the snow banks"
    Proud Owner Of;
    1986 M1008 Easter Find
    1986 M1009
    1985 M101A2
    1985 MEP002A
    1952 M100

    Responsible For;
    2003 M1078A1
    1995 M016A
    2002 M GATOR A1
    1998 MEP802A
    2001 MEP803A
    2004 MEP804B
    2010 M1101

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •