• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guilty Pleasure

rustystud

DTIDs for the M1009 do list $32.xxx as a price. I love all y'all s new trucks. Not going to have one in my lifetime. I'll just keep pushing my HHR.
That's what I thought to. Then after we paid off the house that freed up enough money to justify buying the new truck. This will be the last new vehicle I will ever own and also it is the first new vehicle I have ever owned ! I have always used old vehicles to drive to work, while the wife got the new car to drive and take care of the family with. I never minded though. Though my son used to get embarrassed if I would pick him up at school in my old Ex cop car ! I really liked that old Ford "Crown Victoria" though ! It was a sleeper used by under-cover agents for drug busts. So the body was never taken care of. It looked like crap but it could really move when you hit the go pedal ! Then there was the old Chevy Celebrity, the Ford LTD, The 1979 IHC Scout, the Chevy Corvair, the 1972 Chevy pick-up, the 1968 Cadillac Deville, the Chevy 1954 pick-up, and the story goes on and on. All used vehicles, but well taken care of. Now I have a new truck all for me !

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Most all manufactures have tried to get out of manuals for some time now. The cost of repairs is extremely high for any manual transmission and with all the trucks coming out with these high mileage warranties the manufactures have had to eat a lot of transmissions from people who don't know how to drive manuals anymore. In fact my 1 ton didn't even have an option for a manual transmission. I had a talk with the regional Chevrolet Service Trainer before I left the Transit dept, and he informed me that GM was trying to phase out all manual transmissions due to the warranty issues. He was giving a class on the new 6L90E transmission used in small transit busses at the time.
Dodge still provides a manual option behind the Cummins. Which boggles my mind why they'd not make this happen in the Jeep. Course the 2.8VM powered diesel Jeep with a manual has been a thing in the UK market for nearly a decade now.

rustystud

Dodge still provides a manual option behind the Cummins. Which boggles my mind why they'd not make this happen in the Jeep. Course the 2.8VM powered diesel Jeep with a manual has been a thing in the UK market for nearly a decade now.
I know that Dodge has had lots of problems with their automatics behind the Cummins engine. That engine is a "beast" and can make some crazy torque ! Since Dodge cannot use the "Allison" transmission like GM can, their forced to use their less then desirable automatic or a pretty good manual transmission like the NV4500 or it's larger brother. I'm sure once they finally figure out all the little bugs in their automatics they will also discontinue all manual transmissions.
Though why they don't allow the use of the manual in the Jeep now is pretty strange.

I know that Dodge has had lots of problems with their automatics behind the Cummins engine. That engine is a "beast" and can make some crazy torque ! Since Dodge cannot use the "Allison" transmission like GM can, their forced to use their less then desirable automatic or a pretty good manual transmission like the NV4500 or it's larger brother. I'm sure once they finally figure out all the little bugs in their automatics they will also discontinue all manual transmissions.
Though why they don't allow the use of the manual in the Jeep now is pretty strange.
Actually the automatic transmission that Dodge uses can be built up to handle more power than the Allison can be built up to handle. Suncoast Transmissions has built up a few Dodge transmissions to fit behind some high power Duramax diesels

rustystud

Actually the automatic transmission that Dodge uses can be built up to handle more power than the Allison can be built up to handle. Suncoast Transmissions has built up a few Dodge transmissions to fit behind some high power Duramax diesels
I know the transmission can be built up to handle the torque. Almost any transmission can be modified to handle tremendous power. The problem is the cost and the factory is not gong to spend that kind of money modifying their transmissions. Also, if you modify the Allison it can handle tremendous power also. More so then the "RFE" series Dodge can. That includes the new "68RFE" transmission. The gears and clutch packs are just bigger. Much easier to build power from. I built a 4L60E that could handle over 800HP. It cost over $2000.00 in parts alone. No manufacturer is going to spend that much more money per vehicle to build up their transmissions.
If you have the money, they can build you the parts.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Hopping on your thread Rusty. Mine arrived today. actually 2 of them arrived. I had a duplicate order. All is well. I called the rail yard today after tracking it and they loaded the 2 on the car carrier and delivered them. I am only buying one of them. 2019 Silverado Custom Trail Boss. Factory lift kit and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. DSCF5863.jpgDSCF5864.jpgDSCF5865.jpgDSCF5866.jpgDSCF5867.jpgDSCF5868.jpgDSCF5869.jpgDSCF5870.jpgDSCF5871.jpgDSCF5878.jpgBig difference from the M1028 I have been driving.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopping on your thread Rusty. Mine arrived today. actually 2 of them arrived. I had a duplicate order. All is well. I called the rail yard today after tracking it and they loaded the 2 on the car carrier and delivered them. I am only buying one of them. 2019 Silverado Custom Trail Boss. Factory lift kit and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires.View attachment 753568View attachment 753569View attachment 753570View attachment 753571View attachment 753572View attachment 753573View attachment 753574View attachment 753575View attachment 753576Big difference from the M1028 I have been driving.
Something tells me I don't wanna know the price on that 'Thang"!!! Looks NICE though!!

cucvrus

I was out driving it at 0600. I woke up hit the remote start and it was warmed up and ready to roll. No wait no clean windshield. Set to run 20 minutes unattended. I knew it would show up in a snowy icy week. I went and used the 2007 Silverado to plow ice and slush. After an hour I noticed no 4WD. Oh Joy. I still plowed the slop in 2WD. But my new truck sits outside. I keep the old stuff inside. It was less then $50K and more then $45K. Very affordable in comparison to others I looked at and priced. I ordered it in July and it took 6 months to get here. Factory 2" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac tires. It exceeded my expectations. Ever order something or buy it and when you get it, it is not as great as you expected? Not the case. It's a new 4 X 4 truck. what's not to like? And my Chevy's never get buried. We did bury an M1009 one time under a mountain of snow. We slung a tarp over the drivers door with a rope and piled it up 10 ft high all the way around. on a dry area. I hooked on pulled the tarp off exposing the drivers door. Hopped in started it and drove away with the pile. Funny stuff. I have pictures somewhere. still looking.

rustystud

I was out driving it at 0600. I woke up hit the remote start and it was warmed up and ready to roll. No wait no clean windshield. Set to run 20 minutes unattended. I knew it would show up in a snowy icy week. I went and used the 2007 Silverado to plow ice and slush. After an hour I noticed no 4WD. Oh Joy. I still plowed the slop in 2WD. But my new truck sits outside. I keep the old stuff inside. It was less then $50K and more then $45K. Very affordable in comparison to others I looked at and priced. I ordered it in July and it took 6 months to get here. Factory 2" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac tires. It exceeded my expectations. Ever order something or buy it and when you get it, it is not as great as you expected? Not the case. It's a new 4 X 4 truck. what's not to like? And my Chevy's never get buried. We did bury an M1009 one time under a mountain of snow. We slung a tarp over the drivers door with a rope and piled it up 10 ft high all the way around. on a dry area. I hooked on pulled the tarp off exposing the drivers door. Hopped in started it and drove away with the pile. Funny stuff. I have pictures somewhere. still looking.
I like that remote start too ! I can look out the window and see the crappy weather and then just hit the start button. Then the truck is all nice and warm when I go get in !

rustystud

Yep and new is not always better.
That is very true. I really love my new truck. Is it worth the $74,000 it cost ? I don't know, but so far it has been nice to drive. There is one thing I don't like though. They can track me anywhere I go with this truck. Even though I didn't subscribed to "OnStar" they still track you. That also means the government can track me. Oh well, what can you do ? If I ever figure out how to disable the tracking system I will. Until then I will just have to live with it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not subscribe to OnStar after the one month free trial. My son's mobile was on record but they still called my son when the nice boy T boned me and I woke up in the helicopter. He was ahead of me buy 10 miles but turned around and helped get all my guns and tools out of the truck before they towed it. I am not in witness protection so I don't care if OnStar knows where I am or google knows me better than my wife did.
Yea I am old school points, plugs and condensers keep thing running just fine for me compared to all the new stuff. As for diesel just a mechanical injection system and manual transmission.
Thanks OnStar you save me from loosing a couple of grand in tools and weapons. No I don't always carry weapons and tools except when I am going to the truck farm to shoot / work.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Since I am NOT 007 I don't care who knows where I am. I don't believe in government conspiracy theories. Every picture you take on a cell phone has a GPS location. Every cell phone has GPS. Every highway has cameras. Restaurant's, drive thru, store, pizza parlor. Who am I hiding from and why? All my trucks/cars had/have On Star. I have XM radio also. Even without On Star my cell phone, XM radio and my face, license plate and vehicle description are able to track me. Police cars are equipped with tag readers so who ever you want to hide from I think you need to go under ground. No where to run to baby. No where to hide. Who watching me now? The IRS?

https://youtu.be/7YvAYIJSSZY

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say if someone is watching me then you are a voyair and I hope you get your jolly's. Think they said every picture you send can be seen or anything that is on the Cloud. Heck I bet the government has a better collection of adult stuff with all the pics people send to each other. Sorry corrected.

Last edited:

fitz

I say if someone is watching me then you are a voyair and I hope you get your jolly's. Think they said every picture you send can be seen or anything that is on the Cloud. Heck I bet the government has a better collection of **** than **** hub with all the pics people send to each other.
Umm, Would you know the password?

rustystud

OK, maybe you guys are right. I just need to keep my paranoia under control. But like the saying goes "just because your paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get you !" .
I personally blame the Marines for making me paranoid. Maybe it's because of that tracking chip they put in my brain ! :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks