• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guilty Pleasure

cucvrus

DSCF5923.jpgDSCF5924.jpgDSCF5925.jpgDSCF5926.jpgAfter 3 weeks of driving and loving the new truck I did break and purchased a set of Genuine GM side steps. I wouldn't call them running boards. I had to wait to see some on other new trucks to figure out which ones I wanted to add. It sure did make the entering and exiting easier on me and all other passengers young and old alike. Man I tell you things have come a long way. I remember back in the mid 80's putting on the aluminum tread plate running boards that attached to the rocker panel lower pinch weld and you had to drill holes in the new back side and edge of the rocker panels. That was the slickest thing at the time. These took 15 minutes to install and the nuts are built into the rocker panels and have push pins in them from factory. 8 M 8 bolts and done per side. about 20 minutes with a helper. I done it inside today it was raining. Have a Great Day. From -8* to 60* in 1 week. Mud is my biggest thing now. trucks stuck in mud are always worse then snow. Snow and ice melt when they enter final vehicle assembly. Mud dries and needs pressure washed off of everything. Engines, transmissions on cab over trucks. Frames, tires wheels everything on all other trucks. Mud is really bad because it is frozen down a few inches.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Looks Great and it does help with ingress egress. The one good thing that GM added are grabhandles. Having 80's trucks I still have Diamond Plate running boards around somewhere in the garage. Also pulling on tilt steering wheel, after a couple years I am retightening the column bolts.

Maybe one day...

rustystud

Looks Great and it does help with ingress egress. The one good thing that GM added are grabhandles. Having 80's trucks I still have Diamond Plate running boards around somewhere in the garage. Also pulling on tilt steering wheel, after a couple years I am retightening the column bolts.

Maybe one day...
I know all about pulling on the tilt steering wheel ! That is one really nice thing the new truck has. Maybe I should attach some grab handle on the 1984. I've been driving the old 84 since we got some snow last Sunday. Nine inches of snow out here really brings this area to it's knees ! So I've been afraid to drive the new truck. Don't want some idiot who has no business driving in the snow to take out my new truck !
My wife has been giving me grief about it too, "so your new truck is too precious to drive in the snow" and assorted other comments. I really don't know how the new truck will handle in the snow, but I do know how the 1984 CUCV handles and I trust it to get me to where I need to go.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I think maybe it is just to see if the old Girl has it anymore rustystud. And there are plenty of those kind of mmm I was going to say Drivers but will say steering wheel holders on the road to be concerned about.

You know I have had at one time a 38, 49, now Dads 50, now presently a 56, all kind of 60's, 70's and currently tagged 82,84,85, 98 the newest and I guess best riding 4x4 I have owned, like new just put a new vortec L31R in because no 4 rod bearing spun, did not have a machine shop able to do machine work on short notice. I like to mic and assemble myself just to check and the fun for me. The new vortec is the first new crate engine I have ever bought. It is now in my part of the world getting very hard to find a machine shop and then they are packed with work.

The one good thing is that you have the comfort and a very capable Draft Horse when you need it. It is great having a Wife that understands me?

D6T

I know all about pulling on the tilt steering wheel ! That is one really nice thing the new truck has. Maybe I should attach some grab handle on the 1984. I've been driving the old 84 since we got some snow last Sunday. Nine inches of snow out here really brings this area to it's knees !.
My area has experienced similar conditions. What tires are you running on the CUCV? Not having dedicated snow tires, I always chain up but would prefer to be able to drive into town (no chains).

rustystud

My area has experienced similar conditions. What tires are you running on the CUCV? Not having dedicated snow tires, I always chain up but would prefer to be able to drive into town (no chains).
I have always run an aggressive "all terrain" tire on my CUCV. They seem to work best for all around work.

rustystud

I think maybe it is just to see if the old Girl has it anymore rustystud. And there are plenty of those kind of mmm I was going to say Drivers but will say steering wheel holders on the road to be concerned about.

You know I have had at one time a 38, 49, now Dads 50, now presently a 56, all kind of 60's, 70's and currently tagged 82,84,85, 98 the newest and I guess best riding 4x4 I have owned, like new just put a new vortec L31R in because no 4 rod bearing spun, did not have a machine shop able to do machine work on short notice. I like to mic and assemble myself just to check and the fun for me. The new vortec is the first new crate engine I have ever bought. It is now in my part of the world getting very hard to find a machine shop and then they are packed with work.

The one good thing is that you have the comfort and a very capable Draft Horse when you need it. It is great having a Wife that understands me?
I have had great success with GM's "crate" engines. The 383 Hi-torque that is in the CUCV was a really nice investment. It has run extremely well these last 10 years.
My earliest truck was a 1936 IHC C-1 pickup. I ended up selling it to my brother-in law who just let it sit outside and rot away. Last I saw of it, it was being towed away to the scrapper ! Made me very sad. It still ran very well when I sold it. Just needed some wood work on the cab floor boards.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The BGGs are good and also the Michelin All Terrains
Have the Michelin’s ATs on two of my trucks now.
Excellent tire. Extremely happy with them.

On my Ranch CUCV, I went with the Cooper AT3.
They have proven to be a much better tire than I expected.
C01C2684-07D3-4181-B9CC-98C3721AD60A.jpg

cucvrus

UNSTOPPABLE_MAIN-608x382unstoppable.jpgUnstoppable comes to mind when I think about the best traction tires I ever put on any of my trucks. DSCF6339Goodyear Duratrak.jpg Goodyear LT23585R16 10 ply Duratrac are great off road in mud and snow. And very good highway use tires. I have been thru a few sets in the past 15 years. They replaced the Goodyear Work Horse tires which were great tires also. I had a few sets last 20+ years on farm trucks. Sold them with the 20 year old tires on them. But with 2 ton of bagged salt the CUCV was unstoppable. I pushed a lot of snow with my dearly departed M1008. Hoping to move up a few years into something newer next year for snow plowing. The 2015 GMC got sent to another division for use and never returned. They had an M1008 and it rusted down to dust. So I guess I will never get that back again. Getting by with an M1009, and M1028 and a 1/2 ton 2007 Silverado. I hope we don't get a 40" snow this year. I remember the year of the broken drive shafts. Have a Great Day. Another good thing about my New truck is it is Genuine GM, with parts sourced from all over the globe. Born and built in the heartland. Fort Wayne Indiana. Supporting a world wide economy. Coexist.

Attachments

rustystud

The "Goodyear DuraTrac" is what I'm running now ! They are great tires ! Cost a little bit more then say the "Cooper's" (which are also a very good tire) but well worth it in my opinion.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You definitely get what you pay for in tires.

I’m running Coopers on the CUCV because it doesn’t see any long highway duty.
Longest trip I usually make for supplies is less than 20 miles.
They suite the job I need them to do very well,’which is Ranch Duty.
Excellent grip on both loose and packed dirt. Does very well on wet roads and channels water great.
Handles gravel extremely well. Doesn’t get cut up by the rocks.
I don’t drive the CUCV in mud unless absolutely necessary, which I haven’t done yet with the Coopers installed.

I run Michelin’s on all my civilian vehicles.
Just installed a new set of Michelin’s A/Ts on my wife’s truck last week.
Also a set of Michelin LTXs on our conversion van the week before.
My truck needs a set but I’m trading it in on a brand new truck very soon.

The Goodyears sound like another great choice.

Tires are really personal preference.
Which one you like and what you can afford.

cucvrus

52043194_2029979950371394_8397569565227220992_nMahindra Jeep.jpgYesterday I went for some tractor parts and they had a Mahindra jeep on the lot for sale. Cool little thing with a 2.5 liter Diesel engine and a 5 speed stick shift transmission. It was really nice and I checked it out. I would have bought this as a toy back when I ran my 4 wheelers and I know it would be lots of fun. I see potential for a cool OD paint job and owning a 2019 Jeep with a warranty for under $17K. One set back is it is For Off Road use only. Very cool idea. It does not have turn signals and no wipers. I am sure I could figure out some way to get it street legal. I remember when the HMMWV came out they were branded OFF ROAD USE ONLY and now I see them everywhere. The fact it is a diesel is even adding to the cool factor. So many toys no where to store them all. It has my gears spinning. Sell a CUCV and buy one of these even if I have to trailer it to drive and ride in it. Have a Great Day. I have a shed that was collapsing and worked to get it back in shape to rebuild. Hit with the snow plow on ice. Now I have use for the shed again. Dreamer. DSCF5928.jpgI can see it now with a little diesel Jeep in it.

LT67

As some of you remember I was in the process of buying a new Chevy truck. It took six months to get it as everything I wanted on it did not exist on any truck in America. So now I've had the truck for over four weeks and I do love it, but today I was out driving the old 1984 CUCV 1ton dually and man I do love driving that old truck !
I have to keep this quite though. One reason I got the new truck was because the old 1984 was getting too hard on my back and when we traveled we needed something that was pretty dependable. That was my major reason I gave the wife !
So now here I am driving the old 1984 ! It just feels like a truck !!!
It even looks meaner then my new Chevy !!! Like an old war veteran that has been through to much but is still capable of giving some punk some serious grief if he bothers him !

View attachment 750510 Here's the new Chevy. It is "pretty" but not a "Warhorse" like the 1984 CUCV.
So driving the 1984 will be my guilty pleasure from now on.
I'm recovering from a bad lower back injury and I can say my 04 GMC 2500 is a lot easier on my lower back, but it ain't nowhere near as fun as the M1008's and 79 K20....

rustystud

I'm recovering from a bad lower back injury and I can say my 04 GMC 2500 is a lot easier on my lower back, but it ain't nowhere near as fun as the M1008's and 79 K20....
After four major back surgeries and then a L-4, L5 spinal fusion I cannot sit for very long anymore without dealing with considerable pain. The new Chevy has a much more comfortable seat then the old 84 has, plus it is so much more adjustable ! So for long distance driving the new Chevy is the one to go to from now on. We just took a trip to see my brother last week. Four hours driving and I was still able to walk afterwards ! Well sort of walking at any rate .

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 756118We received a few of these cab chassis units at work. They would be awesome with a standard 8 ft pick up bed. They are all Duramax diesel.
You men have some very nice equipment. 45-50 looks like a good deal. What ballpark are the above chassis-cab?

I was surprised to see a Dodge that was 65 and it made me wonder about F650's. For doing some CC delivery of campers and things in my old age....which is here already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks