• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guilty Pleasure

rustystud

CUCVRUS, you said this has a DuraMax engine. I wonder if it is higher HP and torque then mine ? Does that mean I can upgrade my power too ? Also does it also have an Allison transmission ?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Tuesday morning I started my 15 minute trip to work...and was absiolutely not in the market for a new truck. My little 2003 Nissan Frontier, that ran like a top at 258,000 miles, has served me well for almost 16 years. I expected another 10 years, at least. A mile into my trip, some metal parts inside the engine decided they would like to get frisky with each other. I'm fairly certain a valve walked up to a piston and suggested they get a room. The piston didn't like that and split...several times.

A catastrophic engine failure has a certain ring to it....a ring that is easily recognizable. I had a couple of those rings in about 3 seconds. After the first ring, my immediate thought was that I wasn't going into that engine. There's already too much damage. My second thought was...I've always wanted to run an engine until it blowed. My frown turned upside down as I pushed the skinny pedal a little further. I actually made it to work, on about 3 out of 6 cylinders. Tough little engine she was. She couldn't take the trip home though. Now I need something else to ride in...

Older picture of my little Frontier. I'll throw a take-out engine in her and she can just take me to work from now on. The rest of the truck is in perfect shape.

20171208_092327.jpg

Decided a slight upgrade was in order and came home with this last night. Just wanted a little something extra to make me feel better about my little truck's unexpected failure.

2019 2500HD D-Max LTZ/Z71 Midnight edition. I don't feel so bad about my little truck now. The skinny pedal on this one works way mo' better than the one in my little truck. No guilt...only pleasure though. :mrgreen:

20190320_190823.jpg

20190321_200039.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

So Tuesday morning I started my 15 minute trip to work...and was absiolutely not in the market for a new truck. My little 2003 Nissan Frontier, that ran like a top at 258,000 miles, has served me well for almost 16 years. I expected another 10 years, at least. A mile into my trip, some metal parts inside the engine decided they would like to get frisky with each other. I'm fairly certain a valve walked up to a piston and suggested they get a room. The piston didn't like that and split...several times.

A catastrophic engine failure has a certain ring to it....a ring that is easily recognizable. I had a couple of those rings in about 3 seconds. After the first ring, my immediate thought was that I wasn't going into that engine. There's already too much damage. My second thought was...I've always wanted to run an engine until it blowed. My frown turned upside down as I pushed the skinny pedal a little further. I actually made it to work, on about 3 out of 6 cylinders. Tough little engine she was. She couldn't take the trip home though. Now I need something else to ride in...

Older picture of my little Frontier. I'll throw a take-out engine in her and she can just take me to work from now on. The rest of the truck is in perfect shape.

View attachment 758846

Decided a slight upgrade was in order and came home with this last night. Just wanted a little something extra to make me feel better about my little truck's unexpected failure.

2019 2500HD D-Max LTZ/Z71 Midnight edition. I don't feel so bad about my little truck now. The skinny pedal on this one works way mo' better than the one in my little truck. No guilt...only pleasure though. :mrgreen:

View attachment 758844

View attachment 758845
It can be fun to just let go and destroy an engine you know is toast ! I still remember doing that to a Dodge 318cid . It never blew up, just sadly slowed down and then froze together. Never to turn over again.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVRUS, you said this has a DuraMax engine. I wonder if it is higher HP and torque then mine ? Does that mean I can upgrade my power too ? Also does it also have an Allison transmission ?
If you state has a yearly inspection it will be tough to do what it takes to really wake up the Duramax. Also you have your warrantee to watch out for. I have Kory Willis EFI live tune and four to five inch stainless from turbo straight out. Some other small program adjustments but it rocks. Best thing I think for now to keep your warrantee is just add a Edge insight CTS2 monitor that will not affect warrantee. You can monitor just about everything plus check codes. Plus if it is a minor code and it puts you in limp mode you can clear it and be off again. I through a code last month and it was a glow plug. Changed it cleared the code and off we go.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

If you state has a yearly inspection it will be tough to do what it takes to really wake up the Duramax. Also you have your warrantee to watch out for. I have Kory Willis EFI live tune and four to five inch stainless from turbo straight out. Some other small program adjustments but it rocks. Best thing I think for now to keep your warrantee is just add a Edge insight CTS2 monitor that will not affect warrantee. You can monitor just about everything plus check codes. Plus if it is a minor code and it puts you in limp mode you can clear it and be off again. I through a code last month and it was a glow plug. Changed it cleared the code and off we go.
Yeah, there is that whole warranty thing to worry about. That monitor sounds very interesting. I'll go and check it out.
Thanks Floridianson.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
97AE855B-8170-437D-83A1-3ADFE2D2523D.jpg
I’ve had this about two weeks now.
2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD High Country.
Duramax/Allison
Lots of bells and whistles.

I’m still driving my M1008A1 more than this new one.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 776295
I’ve had this about two weeks now.
2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD High Country.
Duramax/Allison
Lots of bells and whistles.

I’m still driving my M1008A1 more than this new one.
Did they get rid of the felt liners in the wheel wells? It looked like they went back to straight steel with the customer option on coatings. Nice truck. I'm waiting for the new one to come out with the seat that sniffs my farts and tells me what I'm missing in my diet.

This one drives like a noodle in the wind. It just seems like the entire truck is flexing like a ship over the waves. I did just come off of 6 years with a dually so it's a less stable, softer ride. Fun truck to pull long trailers with.

16chev.jpg

I found out how to wash the dirt out of the wheel wells on the 2016.

16chevstuck.jpgchev wheel.jpg

Just find a large body of water and a 2 1/2 inch pump or larger.

truck wash.jpg

Grab a shiny nozzle and be patient. Eventually you can almost wash all the dirt out of them.

chev wash.jpg

rustystud

Did they get rid of the felt liners in the wheel wells? It looked like they went back to straight steel with the customer option on coatings. Nice truck. I'm waiting for the new one to come out with the seat that sniffs my farts and tells me what I'm missing in my diet.

This one drives like a noodle in the wind. It just seems like the entire truck is flexing like a ship over the waves. I did just come off of 6 years with a dually so it's a less stable, softer ride. Fun truck to pull long trailers with.

View attachment 776304

I found out how to wash the dirt out of the wheel wells on the 2016.

View attachment 776303View attachment 776302

Just find a large body of water and a 2 1/2 inch pump or larger.

View attachment 776300

Grab a shiny nozzle and be patient. Eventually you can almost wash all the dirt out of them.

View attachment 776301
There still using the "felt liners" which I really don't like, but it keeps the sound down which is their whole purpose. Hard to clean though. The rears are still steel though.
I already added a MAG-HYTEC rear axle cover to mine. Next comes the MAG-HYTEC for the Allison which I already bought. Just need a nice day without rain. Maybe next week. Or just get a tarp.
Still waiting on that stupid shop to be built. We signed the contract in May and it was June 27 2018 when we received the notification letter saying they where going ahead with the shop construction. That's almost 15 months now ! The counties requiring another "environmental impact statement" before they issue a permit to build. The company hired to do it is backed up and I don't know when they will get to it. They where suppose to be here in August.
I can provide a company letter proving what I just wrote for those who don't believe me.
Screw it, I'll up-load it anyway. Here it is.
View attachment Scan0171.pdf

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front has the felt liners, the rear does not.
Didn’t want them.

The truck is super quiet inside and out.
My 2006 GMC 2500HD Diesel was much louder.
It was a trade in for this new one.

The splash guards and B&W gooseneck hitch get installed Tuesday.
It’s my first dually and it drives great.
Tons of power and I’m still breaking it in.
No full throttle yet.
Only 900 miles on it so far.

Definitely have to pay more attention while driving it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks