• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air operated PTO

jimbo66348

The pto is one I bought to install on my 923. It is a nose one for the 900 series. I didn't want to use a cable, so I fabricated the pneumatic actuation system.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a frame interference issue. Top of the PTO on the 939 series is really close to the frame.

Is the cylinder spring loaded to go off?

jimbo66348

Yes it is, spring return. The uppermost portion of my setup, is about 3/4-7/8 higher than the actuation lever. The factory setup, is about 3/8-1/2 higher than actuation lever. I'm thinking that it will fit. If not, I will redesign it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can add a air operated pto. A member here in Kansas city has one on his M923A2 to run his roll off system

Attachments

jimbo66348

Well, I got my PTO installed, today. HOLY MOLEY! This job was a son of a bitch. 4.5 hours to install. This is probably the hardest job that I've done in many years. The PTO certainly wasn't meant to be installed after the transmission was installed in the vehicle.

I will have to make a new actuator mount, as there is an ear on the tranny that interferes with what I have made. Other than that, it looks good.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, I got my PTO installed, today. HOLY MOLEY! This job was a son of a bitch. 4.5 hours to install. This is probably the hardest job that I've done in many years. The PTO certainly wasn't meant to be installed after the transmission was installed in the vehicle.

I will have to make a new actuator mount, as there is an ear on the tranny that interferes with what I have made. Other than that, it looks good.
For future reference if you dont want to kill yourself installing a PTO
Remove the engine bellhousing bolts that hook to the frame. And hook a ratchet strap around the rear transmission tail shaft and to the drivers frame rail and tighten it. Will give you an extra inch or so. It's not much but it's just enough to make it alot easier

jimbo66348

I was thinking that, but reasoned, with proper designing, you shouldn't have to. I was wrong. I pounded some wooden wedges between the tranny and frame, but that didn't yield much.

IridiumRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes, anymore photos of that truck? Looks like a nice setup
+1

I'd love to hear more info on that truck, I've got some business interests where I've thought of getting a military truck and adding a roll off / hook lift system on it (I work for a local garbage business.... and we're 100 miles north of KC, so there is no competitive overlap with that guy... just for sake of disclosure :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
+1

I'd love to hear more info on that truck, I've got some business interests where I've thought of getting a military truck and adding a roll off / hook lift system on it (I work for a local garbage business.... and we're 100 miles north of KC, so there is no competitive overlap with that guy... just for sake of disclosure :)
I forwarded this thread to the owner of the truck. He said he would get some pictures of it. I will bump him again

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really like this setup. Do you have any more info on the cylinder? Have a drawing for the plate? My PTO is already installed so it's not that easy to get measurements. But my cable is broken and I have to do mine by hand, which sucks. I'd even go as far as asking if I could buy one!

jimbo66348

The plate with the notch, is the one I used. The notch isn't necessary. It just clears the ear on the tranny. The distance from the mounting bolts to the pivot pin is 2" c to c. The pivot is 1/2. The cylinder mount is 1.250 x 1.250 x .125 angle. The cylinder is .750 x 2.5 stroke, spring extend, retracts with air. The rod end is 1/4-28. I had to make a .250 x .312 bushing for the actuator lever, as the hole is .312. I will send a link to the cylinder from eBay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks