• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv tire carrier

ToddMc

Hey y’all I’m sure this is in here somewhere but I can’t find it. Pretty new to posting on forums. I have a 85 m1009 cucv and I’m wanting to put a swing out tire carrier on the back with a shelf or two for jerry cans and maybe a cooler and was wondering what y’all have built and am looking for ideas. Going to be a diy project. Thanks

Barrman

There have been a good number of people posting like you have about how they want to try this.

Then someone will post about how the side metal of the truck was not designed to support a swing out tire carrier like the Bronco's had. There are pictures out there of the passenger rear of a Blazer all ripped up and the tire carrier dragging the ground as well. However, Chevy dealers sometimes had add on tire carriers as a dealer installed option. I have never seen a picture newer than 1976 showing this though. Those dealer installed units also had some internal bracing that went on the inside.

This subject comes up a lot over on the CK5.com Blazer website. The consensus between there and here is don't do it. Make or buy a receiver hitch mounted or bumper mounted external tire carrier. I agree with that as well.

How big of tires you planning to run? 33 x 12.50 tires fit the stock M1009 spare tire holder just fine inside the cab. I have two set up that way.

Keith_J

Get a receiver hitch, then use that to mount a spare up high. It comes off easily and you have a receiver hitch.

I'm all for multi functionality.1122181520.jpg

I like hitches so much I put a hitch under my hitch. Top one is my fabrication, bottom is a Class V beast which is street legal. I run 33s which won't fit the spare carrier. Will be making a carrier for the top hitch for when I have a flat. Just some 2" square tube.

Russm

Get a receiver hitch, then use that to mount a spare up high. It comes off easily and you have a receiver hitch.
I'm all for multi functionality.
I like hitches so much I put a hitch under my hitch. Top one is my fabrication, bottom is a Class V beast which is street legal. I run 33s which won't fit the spare carrier. Will be making a carrier for the top hitch for when I have a flat. Just some 2" square tube.
Can you show pics when you're done?
Previous owner for mine was a police department, they put a hitch on there which I haven't used at all and your idea sounds amazingly simple. :jumpin:

ToddMc

There have been a good number of people posting like you have about how they want to try this.

Then someone will post about how the side metal of the truck was not designed to support a swing out tire carrier like the Bronco's had. There are pictures out there of the passenger rear of a Blazer all ripped up and the tire carrier dragging the ground as well. However, Chevy dealers sometimes had add on tire carriers as a dealer installed option. I have never seen a picture newer than 1976 showing this though. Those dealer installed units also had some internal bracing that went on the inside.

This subject comes up a lot over on the CK5.com Blazer website. The consensus between there and here is don't do it. Make or buy a receiver hitch mounted or bumper mounted external tire carrier. I agree with that as well.

How big of tires you planning to run? 33 x 12.50 tires fit the stock M1009 spare tire holder just fine inside the cab. I have two set up that way.
I have 35s on it. I was thinking more of mounting it from the bumper inside of the side of the truck

cucvrus

The D ring tubes will be for sure. And you can build from that point and add steel to the upper part of the bumper. Have welder and steel with an idea you can build. I built some very useable things from scrap parts and stock steel. Wood hauler from a Honda mower with trailer from a hand truck. Saved me lots of hours of hauling on rough frozen ground with the hand cart. Easier then the front end loader also. You have many options on the back area to work with. Keep it simple but strong.

ToddMc

The stock bumper will not be strong enough if you use it as a mounting point.
Yea but do you think it would be possible to just reinforce the bumper? I could build a new bumper. I’m just real new at any of this stuff especially fabrication. Maybe similar to the old broncos

nyoffroad

As Barrman said, put a receiver hitch on it then add a Wilco Hitchgate. You can add jerrycan holders, HiLift jack brackets, etc and carry just about any size tire you want and when you don't want it on the truck just pull it off and stick it in the garage.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
I like the concept but that's a bit on the pricy side! Good thing I have a welder and bandsaw :) , I think I just found a new project

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks