• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud Noise

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it is my break fluid reservoir... I just checked that first because I knew they had just replaced my break lines. Sorry... Point of posting that pict was the fact that half the reservoir looks contaminated or something so was thinking I would need to at minimum drain breaks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So was the brake line replace on the front ?
I would say the calipers on the system ( not familiar with the flow of the HMMWV brake system but the larger reservoir is usually for the front brakes)
with the sludge either need rebuilding or replacing as I think your going to find the same gunk in them along with pitting in the bore. It's hard to believe a licensed shop would release a vehicle with contaminated fluid like that..

Katavic918

b

I know it is my break fluid reservoir... I just checked that first because I knew they had just replaced my break lines. Sorry... Point of posting that pict was the fact that half the reservoir looks contaminated or something so was thinking I would need to at minimum drain breaks as well.

Ok, didn't mean it to be rude. It just that it went from power steering fluid to brake fluid real quick. If they just replaced your lines there is no excuse for the fluid to look like that. These take dot5 fluid btw, I wonder if they mixed some dot 3 in there?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, didn't mean it to be rude. It just that it went from power steering fluid to brake fluid real quick. If they just replaced your lines there is no excuse for the fluid to look like that. These take dot5 fluid btw, I wonder if they mixed some dot 3 in there?
That is a possibility it looks awful yellow, most D.O.T. I have bought has been purple. here is a link to a thread on how to test it.

[h=1]Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5[/h]

Chief B

So I bled the power steering and once the bubbles stopped coming out, when I would turn the wheels to the drivers side I could actually see the bottom of the pump. I topped it off and it seems to be doing good now.

As far as the brakes go, I removed all fluid I could from the reservoir and replaced it with DOT 5. Going to try running like that for a little and keep checking it to hopefully flush out anybof the wrong stuff they put in.

Chief B

So was the brake line replace on the front ?
I would say the calipers on the system ( not familiar with the flow of the HMMWV brake system but the larger reservoir is usually for the front brakes)
with the sludge either need rebuilding or replacing as I think your going to find the same gunk in them along with pitting in the bore. It's hard to believe a licensed shop would release a vehicle with contaminated fluid like that..
They claimed to have replaced a line going to the back. I honestly don’t know that they did though. I would think if they did I would see new lines which I see none.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a possibility it looks awful yellow, most D.O.T. I have bought has been purple. here is a link to a thread on how to test it.

Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5

Katavic918 - These take dot5 fluid btw, I wonder if they mixed some dot 3 in there?
TM 9-2320-280-20-2 page 7-22 clearly calls for "silicon based brake fluid". Sounds like DOT 5 to me.

DOT 5 is silicone based brake fluid, is less common and does not scavenge for water the same way as DOT 3, 4, or 5.1. DOT 3 and 4 are more common, are glycol based, and scavenge for water by absorbing it IIRC. They do this to prevent rust in the system.

Mixing glycol based with silicon based fluid can lead to "catastrophic failure", according to some manuals and the Internet (and the Internet never lies - LOL).

I agree with the others in this thread and I also suggest you purge the entire system if there is any question about incorrect fluid or bad fluid. You don't just need to change the fluid, you need to purge or wash out the system. Drain it, fill it, bleed it, pump it a bunch of times, and then pump and bleed again to remove residue of DOT3/4. Bleeding alone will leave residue and might leave contaminated stuff in the caliper cylinders.

I change brake fluid every 2 years on my vehicles. I drive aggressively at times, due to NYC stop and go traffic, so between living near water and heating up the fluid, I find clear brake fluid has turned yellow or brown at 2 years, so it is potentially less effective at braking and water absorption. In all honesty though, this is my first DOT 5 vehicle IIRC.

My question is... Is there a water separator in the HMMWV in the brake system that removes water given that DOT 5 is silicon based/hydrophobic?

T

Last edited:

papakb

I've purchased plenty of military DOT5 silicon fluid over the years and in the gallon jug it comes in it does look purple but when you pour it into the reservoir it looks like antifreeze. Go figure. FYI, the front brake calipers on the HMMWVs are '87 Eagle calipers and you can get them almost anywhere for under $20 for new units.

View attachment 751642

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I bled the power steering and once the bubbles stopped coming out, when I would turn the wheels to the drivers side I could actually see the bottom of the pump. I topped it off and it seems to be doing good now.

As far as the brakes go, I removed all fluid I could from the reservoir and replaced it with DOT 5. Going to try running like that for a little and keep checking it to hopefully flush out anybof the wrong stuff they put in.

Just drain, refill and bleed them out...it’s a simple process.
99% of the time, someone added DOT3/4 to the existing DOT 5....they don’t mix.

BLK HMMWV

I would recommend you not just fill the master cylinder reservoir but flush the lines out completley.
You can try and find a power bleeder if you don't have a helper.
start with the longest lines first back to shortest.

dmetalmiki

Perhaps it was better that you assumed it a non runner on the (Repair?) return of your vehicle.
Had you accepted the "Repairs", Driven it, Had an accident..(More..Worse)..Think about the consequences of that, After the vehicle was (Properly) Checked over by accident investigators.
(>Shudders..<).
So, as previously suggested, Read, Digest, Initiate repairs and services, THEN drive And enjoy.
And just a thought here, (As), I just can not see how the outcome would have been all that great for the repair shop that carried out the 'repairs' and (detailed charged) servicing either.
Good luck, keep us posted on progress.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks