• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud Noise

Chief B

So I recently paid an ungodly amount to get this thing all fixed up and ready to go so that when I return I can actually drive it, but now that the maintenance has been done, it is making a loud noise that it was not making before. Wanted to see if anybody might have any idea as to what it might be. It does it when raving it up. Video attached so the noise can be heard.

Stan

View attachment IMG_0015.mov

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's not right! AND it is loud. You get a possum caught in the fan shroud / box or is box rubbing on fan. Just guessing... guess number two, did the starter disengage? Transmission fluid OK, Oh that's three. Get some help and climb around it to isolate the noise. Easy on the throttle pedal. Good luck and let us know what's up.

Eyes and ears and no fingers,

CAMO

BLK HMMWV

power steering pump?
Did you recently have either the cooling stack, radiator fan, power steering related items worked on?
you may have some air in the line?
All of that stuff is sort of inter connected.
If you had any of that stuff worked on and they didn't properly bleed the air out of it , it may make your power steering pump make noise.
That kind of sounds like it might be related to the fan on the cooling stack but it shouldn't be turning at start up unless engine temp around 220

Chief B

I took it in to get the water pump put back in as I had to come back to Africa. I already had the cooling stack and fan removed when I had it towed into them. They ended up also replacing the fuel injector pump and doing some other work. When we got it home it was leaking hydraulic fluid and my son just tightened the hose clamp and so it may very well be something as simple as air in the lines... Heres hoping it is that simple anyway. Picture attached shows where it was leaking fluid from.
IMG_1333.jpg

BLK HMMWV

that gold thing is the Cadillac valve.
It has to do with the fan . I believe that front hose goes down to the fan clutch.
You probably need to bleed the whole system and check fluid levels.

BLK HMMWV

that gold thing should have a couple wires coming out of it. they should plug into a small black rectangular box located right next to it.
see if that connection is being made or if they are not plugged in

JEB

My wife's Volvo started making an otherworldly noise today.
My mechanic has ID'd it as an alternator bearing.

BLK HMMWV

If it wasn't making that noise before I'd take it back to the place that has your ungodly sum of money and tell them to fix it.
I'm guessing the place you took it isn't a HMMWV mechanic. But surely they would have to admit that isn't normal.
the fact they left a few things loose doesn't instill confidence in the shops work either .
Were did the shop source the parts .
Did you purchase the parts or them .
What engine is in your truck and what year is it.
Did they replace the fan in it?

Chief B

As far as returning it to the place I had the work done, I really do not trust them at all. I took it in to get the water pump put back in and are out over 3K into it. I kept questioning charges and they would take them off and add new charges so that the bill remained the same or went up till I finally just went and got the vehicle so they would stop trying to screw me over even more. Plus they are over an hour away from my house so the tow bill alone was pricy and not sure I would want to drive it that far again if there is an issue that I may be able to fix. As far as the fan goes, they "rebuilt" the clutch because I had taken it apart when I removed the fan trying to get the water pump off (now I know better), but that is all they did to the fan. Attached is what they supposedly did. I'm going to start with bleeding the lines and ensuring everything is topped off, but I will not be home to do this until next weekend.
STAN.jpgSTAN 2.jpgSTAN 3.jpg

papakb

Go over to your local auto parts place and buy one of these stethoscopes and then carefully start poking around with it to figure out where the noise is coming from.
stethoscope.png

Your probably looking at air in the system because to repair shop was clueless about HMMWVs and didn't bleed the system. Make sure your power steering reservoir is topped up and then raise the front end. With the wheels off the ground cycle the steering from limit to limit half a dozen times, holding at each end for a couple seconds and see if the noise doesn't decrease. The Kysor Cadillac valve is normally energized and can be noisy even without much air in the system. We used to wrap a piece of an inner tube around it under the retaining clamp to quiet it down.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I see some things that I have questions on the bill for...it’s not out of line for the work they did. Why was the pump replaced? Assuming it ran fine?
Its shows a rebuilt pump, but has a charge for an advance piston...that’s already in the pump and fixed during rebuild.
that fluid leak is ATF from the poster steering...so air is getting in, this would make the pump whine and foam.

Chief B

While I see some things that I have questions on the bill for...it’s not out of line for the work they did. Why was the pump replaced? Assuming it ran fine?
Its shows a rebuilt pump, but has a charge for an advance piston...that’s already in the pump and fixed during rebuild.
that fluid leak is ATF from the poster steering...so air is getting in, this would make the pump whine and foam.
As far as why the pump was replaced, I am assuming you are referring to the fuel injector pump. They told me once they got the water pump on and everything put back together, when they cranked it, there was nothing and they found that the fuel injector pump was seized up which in turn caused the key to sheer off on the cam gear. They wanted over 1k for that rebuild so I found another pump that was not seized and had it delivered to them and once they installed that, it was supposedly leaking from all the front ports so it too had to be rebuilt, but since it was not seized, it was not as expensive of a rebuild. As far as them charging me for things that are part of a rebuild, I just did not know to question that one but in all honesty they would have just removed it and added something else like they did with the other charges I questioned.

Thank you all for your assistance on this, looking forward to getting home next weekend and hoping it is as simple as air in the lines. Will definitely let y'all know.

Chief B

Well I do not even need to bleed the lines to see there is something going on. Pulled the cover off to check the fluid and saw this...

IMG_1886.jpg

What is the best way to completely drain the system so that I can start fresh?

Chief B

You really need to learn your basics before you drive one of these. That's your brake fluid reservoir.
I know it is my break fluid reservoir... I just checked that first because I knew they had just replaced my break lines. Sorry... Point of posting that pict was the fact that half the reservoir looks contaminated or something so was thinking I would need to at minimum drain breaks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
On the outside that looks to be a nice truck. Having followed along with this post, (and many more) I would be most concerned with the systems on the insides. Seems every time you turn around it is something else.

That's can be the life of the HMMWV hobby until one clears out all the bugs.

Spent the big money on the injector and water pump. OK, hopefully good to go there??

I suggest RED TAGGING it and spending time with simple tools and the manual going front to back - top to bottom. There is a multi-point check list in the sticky's above and hit everyone of them. Great learning experience and a good way to "know your truck"

When asking for assistance be clear and straight forward. Example: Having a headlight issue. Then not checking the batteries or switch and later on stating, just replace my hood and lug nuts, makes for a nice story, But is hard to figure what the heck could be going on. Stay on point and add in known history. I am already dizzy to begin with and going in circles just make it worst.

Not trying to be a butt head here, But if the BRAKES... break, 5500 plus pounds of HMMWV could break the bank and bones.

Like Santa say's ...Checking the list and checking it twice. And I would check it again to see if the mechanics were...Well, you get the picture.

Holiday Grinch,

CAMO

GOOD LUCK!

BLK HMMWV

You have your hands full with this truck.
What's it's history? where did you get it ?
auction ? private party?

reason I'm asking is the more you know and the more you can tell us the better for us to be able to help you.

Obviously like you now know your breaking system is contaminated.
your going to have to flush the whole system.

Water got into the reservoir some how and perhaps somebody blended DOT3 and DOT5 fluids.

Was the HMMWV under water ? on purpose or from a past storm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks