• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USA-made power steering pump?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm coming down the home stretch on my P400 build and want to install a new power steering pump in place of the old tired 1984 model. Can anybody recommend an American-made pump? After spending all this cash on the engine and transmission, I just cannot bring myself to install a cheap Chinese pump. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

DSC_0439 (2).jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably going to be hard since Saginaw Steering Gear ( OEM ) spun-off to Delphi , which sold out to chinese owed Nexteer .
They used be made locally here , but all that production was shipped off.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spoke with the technical guy at PSE and he directed me to their item SP 1400, which is a brand-new USA-made pump without the reservoir to rebuild my unit. It seems the PSE unit is a new Delphi pump which fits inside my reservoir. So I think I'm leaning in this direction. Never rebuilt a power steering pump before but it sounds like fun. Thanks in advance for everybody's comments on this going forward.

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/80-newer-hi-performance-power-steering-pump-w-o-can.html

MarcusOReallyus

It's not really rebuilding a pump. It's just swapping out a few basic parts. One O-ring, I think. I've done it on my Jeep and it's no big deal.

Nice to know there's an American made option available! :beer:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be sure to spray your favorite spray lube (penetrating oil) into the crack where the pump and can seal a few times and let it soak. Comes apart a lot easier and is easier on the can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks