• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M548 tracks

Pclarkfarms

Hi we run a pair of M548 aa wildland fire fighting rigs in the texas panhandle. One of them the tracks are worn to where the adjuster cylinder is extended all the way and still loose. Been getting by but would like to find a set of tracks if anyone knows where there might be some. Also was curious about taking a link out. I understand the pins are worn and could possibly break but just feeling the options. I'm a former cat mechanic so I've delt with many tracks just not these any more than adjusting them.

Thanks in advance for any info.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the exact same problem as you. If the 548s came from Texas Forest Service, maybe they can assist with requisitioning surplus tracks through the FPP program. If not, get with beltfed on ebay, he may know who has some tracks stashed away in central Texas. If you break a pin, I have about 30 I saved from my dead tracks before I scrapped them.

Pclarkfarms

I've been in contact with the forest service. They don't have anything. They said they had one 548 left but couldn't part it. they are having to send it back to military. So guessing it'll be destroyed like most of them were.

snowtrac nome

I know of one complete ready to run up here in Nome pm me I I will get you contact info to purchase it and there was a set of new tracks some where in Idaho for it but I couldn't tell you where the owner of this one up here located them. He was thinking of getting them for spares for his I also know there is a yard in fair banks that had a good number of take off tracks from a fmc skidder which also used the same tracks.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of one complete ready to run up here in Nome pm me I I will get you contact info to purchase it and there was a set of new tracks some where in Idaho for it but I couldn't tell you where the owner of this one up here located them. He was thinking of getting them for spares for his I also know there is a yard in fair banks that had a good number of take off tracks from a fmc skidder which also used the same tracks.
I know it is a longshot, but is the front right corner dented? I sold an M548A1 to a guy who was bringing it to Alaska. There can't be too many in Alaska. It was a good machine. I am sure it is not the same one...but I thought I'd check. :)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was wondering, the military switched the type of M113 series vehicle tracks some years back. Do the new tracks run on the same running gear? I don't have either type of track but was curious as I might know a POC for a few blocks of the newer stuff, maybe.

snowtrac nome

I know it is a longshot, but is the front right corner dented? I sold an M548A1 to a guy who was bringing it to Alaska. There can't be too many in Alaska. It was a good machine. I am sure it is not the same one...but I thought I'd check. :)
Yes that is the one I have some stories about it. putting tracks back on in waist deep mud having it stuck in ditches with the tracks spinning free and of course it got sunk in a flood once I had to drain the engine out of all the water but it started right back up. Its been a good rig I have tried to pimp it out on some fire fighting projects but blm keeps insisting on rubber tracks and bv 206's which you just cant make any money on the bv206 the cost of the parts are so much and their maintenance is much higher than a supermodel.

snowtrac nome

the new style tracks use the same road wheels but different drivers they are available but I think it was around 80 grand for the kit to convert. soucy also makes a full rubber track conversion out of Canada.

Let off the adjuster, break track and 001.jpgtry removing a pad or two
Chances your track bushings and pins are worn out
Eventually you'll jump the sprocket if they are too loose
our vehicles all use diehl track
Don't forget the m548 track footprint is larger so an m113 set will be short

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is the one I have some stories about it. putting tracks back on in waist deep mud having it stuck in ditches with the tracks spinning free and of course it got sunk in a flood once I had to drain the engine out of all the water but it started right back up. Its been a good rig I have tried to pimp it out on some fire fighting projects but blm keeps insisting on rubber tracks and bv 206's which you just cant make any money on the bv206 the cost of the parts are so much and their maintenance is much higher than a supermodel.
A bit of history on the machine...I bought it from a dealer that acquired it from a (Indian) Tribal association. It was dented when I got it, it appeared to have been dented for a while since they painted it CARC over the dent. One of the pivot steering brakes leaked so it was always low (and did not work unless you topped it off). I rarely used them so I just did not bother with it. I put the NOS soft top on it (which was new at that time). I have some pics of it somewhere. I'll try to find and post them.

snowtrac nome

its a small world isn't it. we never used the pivot steer up here mike asked about using them I asked him how bad he wanted to put the track back on as I previously posted the bushings and pins eventually wore out we got to put the track back on in knee deep mud.

CombatJack

I also found complete suspension kits for the M548 I didn't even know I had. If you need one, shoot me a PM. I am going to take a walk out today and see if I have any pins, or just all tracks.
IMG_1360.jpg

CombatJack

Heck I dunno. I guess to swap out all of the suspension on the M548. Or to make a great center piece for kitchen table? Not any clue, really. Never seen one nor realized I had them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks