• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005A Overspeed Switch Testing and/or Replacement

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-005A that has a overspeed switch that keeps tripping. The engine is not at high enough RPMs to trip. The TMs do not reference testing an overspeed switch, only the causes that trigger it, which I am having none of. It randomly triggers, but appears to only do it while the engine is still cold. Sadly the battle-short doesn't override the overspeed switch. If the switch is faulty (I believe it is), where can I get a new one? then P/N is 36024-LDW-72-2203-1.

overspeed.jpg
Let's see if I can have a post without an admin giving me an infraction.

leedawg

I just went throigh similar issues however mine was a starting issue. There are three switchs inside that thing that control starter lock out feild flash and overspeed. The over speed one is a normally closed and when tripped opens and is not spring loaded. That button that resets it simply pushes the switch the other way and closes it. There are springs that are set at various tensions that push on these plates that have to be overcome for the switchs to be actuated. Id simply put a little bit more tension on the spring that controls that switch. Give this thread a read and look at some of the pics will show you what's inside.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ical-version)&highlight=Mep+005a+speed+switch

It becomes pretty obvious once you open it up. In regards to a new one the new ones are electronic and North of 400 dollars at least the ones I've found.

Lee

Guyfang

Staff member
Since you have a mechanical switch, open it up. Might be just a broken wire. But do read the thread Lee referenced. Do mark where the screws were before taking it apart. You will save a bunch of work in the end. Back in 1977, we used a timing light and drill to set the switches. Worked, but was a pain. All because we didn't read the book. There are about a million NSN's for switches that will work for your set. I believe they are listed in that link.

Oh, we're is the hold down clamp, for the speed switch adapter, shown in your picture?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
5930-00-430-3540 Part# 70-1105-2 and SA897-3DOB Mech switch
5930-01-023-4343 Part# 70-1105-4 and 72-2203-1 Electronic (OLD)
5930-01-537-9648 New switch, Electronic (NEW)
5930-01-210-8729 New switch, Electronic (NEW)
5930-01-246-9266 New switch, Electronic (NEW)
5930-01-018-1888 Old switch. Still good
5930-01-021-9378 Old switch. Still good
5930-01-537-9648 Old switch. Still good
5930-01-246-9265 Old switch. Still good

Any and all fit.

Guyfang

Staff member
Kurt, I think there are about 40-50 other numbers for this thing. The old mech type is repairable. But parts are the problem. The electronic version can be sometimes fixed. Normally its a wire inside of the barrel that might get too much vibration over the years and wear through. Once had one with a bad reset switch. I got mad and put a SPST, big honking switch hooked up to the wires hanging down from the speed switch barrel, until I could get a new one in. The S9 switch is a tricky thing. Everyone thinks its just for over speed. Well its sure not. Anytime a 004, 005, 006 or an 007 will not start, (turn over) the first thing I check is the reset, the second thing is to put a paper clip in the canon plug, (J37) in pins A&B. If it turns over, S9 is bad. And if anyone wonders why I can rattle this off at 22:00, had two beers, and havent touched a S9 in 10 years, should be able to guess. It was a continual problem. The -9648 and - 8729 switches supposedly fixed the problems.

jmenende

Kurt, I think there are about 40-50 other numbers for this thing. The old mech type is repairable. But parts are the problem. The electronic version can be sometimes fixed. Normally its a wire inside of the barrel that might get too much vibration over the years and wear through. Once had one with a bad reset switch. I got mad and put a SPST, big honking switch hooked up to the wires hanging down from the speed switch barrel, until I could get a new one in. The S9 switch is a tricky thing. Everyone thinks its just for over speed. Well its sure not. Anytime a 004, 005, 006 or an 007 will not start, (turn over) the first thing I check is the reset, the second thing is to put a paper clip in the canon plug, (J37) in pins A&B. If it turns over, S9 is bad. And if anyone wonders why I can rattle this off at 22:00, had two beers, and havent touched a S9 in 10 years, should be able to guess. It was a continual problem. The -9648 and - 8729 switches supposedly fixed the problems.
Thanks for the help. The guys at surplusman.com found one for me. Its the 2203-1 version but beggers cant be choosers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks