• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Camping build

Kingsize

First post newb here. I just picked up an M1101 to build out into an offroad camper. I plan on building a roof rack, and then adding a large RTT with annex, along with two 180 degree awnings. Should be a cool build. It will hold all our camping equipment, shower, porta potty, kitchen with partner steel stove and a 22" blackstone. Some ideas are still in the works, but most is figured out already. Here are a few pics from today when I picked it up.

Jason
20181214_070526.jpg20181214_073341.jpg20181214_073427.jpg20181214_073551.jpg20181214_073357.jpg

Kingsize

Thanks! I am excited about it. Should be a really neat build.

I need to check the hubs and do basic brake maintenance, but otherwise it is a very clean NOS trailer. Still trying to figure out how to adjust the hand brakes.

Dock Rocker

I have been watching your truck build in EP. I hope your trailer turns out as well as the truck has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsize

Haha... Awesome!

Well me too. I joined here so I can figure out the maintenance side of the trailer, and get that all sorted before moving on. There is a TON of good info on here. I will make a thread on EP as well.

Dock Rocker

Haha... Awesome!

Well me too. I joined here so I can figure out the maintenance side of the trailer, and get that all sorted before moving on. There is a TON of good info on here. I will make a thread on EP as well.
I have had a few. I actually have one stray that showed up at my house a few weeks ago. They are super easy to maintain and light enough to haul. They are a tad wide though.

What top is that on yours? Looks like the rear cab of an H1.

I bought a top and bows to make a short term sleeping spot. My plan was to build it out a little but I think I may have stumbled into an LMTV with an S280 that might better fill that role.

Kingsize

The top was made by a company called Access Manufacturing/Tradesman truck tops @ http://tradesmantrucktops.com
And I agree, it does have to look of the rear of an H1. Very similar in fact.

LMTV is on the list of things I would like to purchase in the future. They are very cool rigs. Post up yours if you end up getting it. Would love to see it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least the trailer sits level with the truck.
The top looks good.
Trailer doesn’t look bad at all painted white.

A clean canvas awaits

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never been a big fan of the 1101/1102 trailers. Too short and wide. Your, however, puts new light on the subject. I hope that the topper will be included in the build. I've always used steel utility toppers on my 101 trailer. That one with panel doors takes it a step further. What a great trailer to start with.

Kingsize

I have had a few. I actually have one stray that showed up at my house a few weeks ago. They are super easy to maintain and light enough to haul. They are a tad wide though.

What top is that on yours? Looks like the rear cab of an H1.

I bought a top and bows to make a short term sleeping spot. My plan was to build it out a little but I think I may have stumbled into an LMTV with an S280 that might better fill that role.

The top is made by Tradesman Truck Tops/Access Manufacturing out in California. Tradesmantruck dot com if you want to look at their site. And I agree, it does look like the rear of an H1. A lot actually.

At least the trailer sits level with the truck.
The top looks good.
Trailer doesn’t look bad at all painted white.

A clean canvas awaits
Thanks sir.

Man that is really cool. You gave me an idea for the deer camp!!!
LOL... I plan on using it in January when we go hunting as well. It won't have much done by then, but it is big, and I'm not on the ground so that is a major plus.

I've never been a big fan of the 1101/1102 trailers. Too short and wide. Your, however, puts new light on the subject. I hope that the topper will be included in the build. I've always used steel utility toppers on my 101 trailer. That one with panel doors takes it a step further. What a great trailer to start with.
Thank you good sir! The topper is the only reason I purchased it in California and shipped it to Texas. Otherwise I would have used one local. The panel doors are perfect in my mind for this build. Everything around the trailer will be based off of taking advantage of the topper and door style.

Kingsize

By the way... Got a chance to bleed the brakes and install new fluid yesterday. All looks good now. I will be pulling the hubs and repacking/checking bearings today.

Jason

20181216_131604.jpg

DslCJ8

Hi Jason,

Very cool project you have going!

I have a couple M1101s/-02s which we just use as utility trailers.
What are your thoughts on keeping the OEM surge brakes vs retrofitting with electric or electric over hydraulic?

Please keep posting the pictures!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kingsize

Thank you sir!

I plan on eventually moving over to electric if I can find something that allows for the hand brake and electric control while keeping the same bolt pattern. I would like it so I have lockup controls when going over obstacles when manual control is desired. And the integrated brake controller in the truck will automatically utilize the trailer when hooked up and pulse the brakes as needed for stability. Same as what Ford offers I believe. The trailer brake intelligent control in the new trucks really are nice.

I do however plan to keep them for the time being, or at least until I can see how they will react with the additions I have planned. I will also eventually move over to a Max Coupler. I don't mind the pintle hitch, and actually have another trailer with it. However, backing up with the pintle and such a short wheelbase trailer is... um.... fun.

I have more pictures coming. No worries mate!

Jason

Hi Jason,

Very cool project you have going!

I have a couple M1101s/-02s which we just use as utility trailers.
What are your thoughts on keeping the OEM surge brakes vs retrofitting with electric or electric over hydraulic?

Please keep posting the pictures!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kingsize

These are the wheels and tires I plan to use. Same as on my truck. They are factory Ram Power Wagon wheels. This way I can have one spare on my truck and a spare on the trailer, and if needed, I have two spares when we are nowhere near civilization. Which is the purpose of this build. Completely off grid and self reliant.

The wheels come polished when you pick them up from the dealer. Precision Coatings does all my powder coat work, so they got this set I purchased as well. Here are some pics from when I did the same on my truck. The trailer wheels are currently getting coated now. Once they come back, one will be kept as just a spare wheel, and the other 3 will get the same tires.

20171006_164844.jpg20171031_113039.jpg20180222_115254.jpg20180222_115120.jpg20180812_131849.jpg20181216_131132.jpg

Kingsize

Hydraulic surge brakes are really simple and reliable vs electric brakes. They do a lot better in water crossings as well.
I agree to a point. Backing up, and up a hill is a pain. And, there are certain downhill obsticals that require to, or are better to manually control a bit of drag in the brakes as you slowly decend. I've been on many wheeling outings with offroad trailers, and electric brakes shine in certain areas, not so much in others. I personally feel the pluses outweigh the minuses. JMHO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks