• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace a M1009 torque converter

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I'm hearing some kind of transmission noise when I start to take off but stops after I get moving. No shakes or anything though. I believe it's from the torque converter?
Have a few questions.
1. If it is the torque converter I'm really not going to hurt anything else right if I keep driving it? It only has 64K on it and I don't drive it a lot.
2. I'm in the Indianapolis IN area. If I want to get it repaired does anyone have any recommendations on where a reasonable place is and what a reasonable cost would be?
Thanks

cucvrus

I would say it is the pump suction on a dirty filter that you are hearing. Service the transmission and filter and go from that point. I say the sound goes away. And 64K is NOT the issue. 30 years + is the issue. Lots of cracked seals and parts inside the old TH400. Happy Holidays.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say it is the pump suction on a dirty filter that you are hearing. Service the transmission and filter and go from that point. I say the sound goes away. And 64K is NOT the issue. 30 years + is the issue. Lots of cracked seals and parts inside the old TH400. Happy Holidays.
Thanks now to find out how to do that :)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

cucvrus

Thanks now to find out how to do that :)
Easy as getting a large pan that will catch all the fluid. Unless you are a fortunate one and have a drain plug on the transmission pan. Just loosen all the M8 bolts with a 13mm socket and when they are all loose. take off the bolts on one side and allow the pan to lean and drain from one corner or side. Allow it to drain and loosen the remaining bolts one at a time. Carefully or you will bathe in ATF. Once you have the pan removed. You can remove 1 M8 bolt 13m/m and the spacer and the filter will come down. When you replace the filter with a new one be sure to install the O ring with the new filter. Easy to follow instructions come with the filter kit. I use Permatex the Right Stuff and the gasket. The Right Stuff makes a nice bounding agent to get the gasket to stay in place. Use a 1/4" ratchet to tighten the bolts and don't go wild. They do have a torque spec. But hand tight always works. It is just a transmission pan and as long as it don't leak and holds fluid all is well. That easy. About 1 hour to change it and another hour to scrub the transmission pan clean. Good Luck. Merry Christmas.

MarcusOReallyus

If you've done it on any civilian truck or car you already know what to do. It's the same. This isn't some Uber-Tactical Super Military Machine. It's a Chevy. An 84 Chevy. It's got a few extra military doo-dads, funky 24/12v charging/starting system, and a bit of cool factor. That's it. Other than that, it's just a Chevy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks