• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50/50 crude oil mix

Garagefull

Just ran a tank of 50/50 crude-diesel through the old girl.Other than quieting down the motor dramatically, it appeared to run just as well as straight diesel. I may refine my filter setup,but the gauge on my small transfer pump didn't show any blockage in the filter. After I filtered it I just dumped it straight in the tank. And I have access to about 200 barrels a year.

Garagefull

This crude comes from the Injun Run sands about 1100 feet here. It's color and consistency is very similar to diesel fuel anyway.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All I can say is, it is your truck, your money, do as you want. There is a lot of reasons why crude is not used straight or even 1/2 and 1/2 as fuel, if it was this easy to filter and then use, a lot of companies would be out of business, it is not the big stuff in crude but ALL the other stuff, crude makes waste oil look as pure as the wind driven snow, it has everything from acids to fine silica, fine diamond dust, about every mineral known to man, them there is the lonnnnnnnnnng list of chemicals, some VERY toxic to humans (even contact or fumes will kill), some so corrosive that special metals or liners are need, I can go on and on about crude but that would be a waste of space. The bottom line is CRUDE IS NOT SOMETHING TO FOOL WITH.

At one time at the start of the oil age, some trucks ran on crude (with/without cutback), now is not that part of time nor are the trucks.

Garagefull

I know it can be nasty,I work in/around it daily.We do hydrocarbon analysis where I work.But for a different industry.We don't have high level of H2s here,but it is high in parrafines/wax.I have ran civvy 6.2s on waste mineral oil,motor oil ect for many miles.I read of a Mercedes in the Ohio Oil and Gas magazine that ran over 350k on crude,no diesel mix.Plus,I have two shallow wells for supply. I think the last time I sold I received approximately $62 a barrel.

Last edited:

Garagefull

They aren't that expensive to buy here. These are what are called small stripper wells.these make At most 200 barrel a year. And free gas for the garage furnace. They are kind of fun to fool with.. I probably have two hours a week in it. This is such small scale it's almost hobby.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds more like natural gas condensate which is usually much lighter than regular crude, and is more like kerosene than diesel. Of course, the composition varies widely, just like different crudes, and I've seen some that was water clear and would melt a Styrofoam cup, and some black as crude and almost pure paraffin. Whether it will do OK in your truck really depends on the quality coming out of your well.

Since your have a cheap source, I'd spend a little money and have it tested at a crude oil lab to compare to diesel characteristics. It may be closer to gasoline than diesel, which would not be a good mix at 50/50.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Also be aware that the federal/state tax man doesn’t like things like this.
Actually, Ohio doesn't mind. They are very nice, just call them up and tell them how many gallons you plan on running. They will calculate what road taxes are needed and you send them a check. Some of us that run used motor oil do it to be on the safe side.

Garagefull

Well..all of my testing was strictly off-road of course. Lol.. I have filtered approximately 35 gallons so far. I thought I would cut the filter open on my transfer pump and see what the filter is catching.

reset2

Not to get political but I would think the 144000 illegal immigrants we feed, house, Medicare would be a bigger concern for our Feds.
Keep with safe practices and do the testing. During ww2 the government tested burning wood smoke to run vehicles. With success.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Garagefull

I just installed a new ip. I took the cover off and all appeared clean and normal inside after 2 years of running crude. The orig pump never was right. Sometimes it sounded as if the timing was fixed and advanced. The new one is so much smoother and quieter.

sapper65th

That sounds more like natural gas condensate which is usually much lighter than regular crude, and is more like kerosene than diesel. Of course, the composition varies widely, just like different crudes, and I've seen some that was water clear and would melt a Styrofoam cup, and some black as crude and almost pure paraffin. Whether it will do OK in your truck really depends on the quality coming out of your well.

Since your have a cheap source, I'd spend a little money and have it tested at a crude oil lab to compare to diesel characteristics. It may be closer to gasoline than diesel, which would not be a good mix at 50/50.
If it was kero, it wouldn't quiet the engine down - extra lubricity does that.

sapper65th

Well..all of my testing was strictly off-road of course. Lol.. I have filtered approximately 35 gallons so far. I thought I would cut the filter open on my transfer pump and see what the filter is catching.
Look into centrifuging as well. I'd think between the filtering and that, youd be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks