• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 - drain plug torque specs

Mquirin

I have read both M35a3 TMs, the OM and the Lubrication pdf. I have searched this forum and on google, and I cannot seem to find the torque specs for the drain plugs (oil, transmission, front and rear diffs, etc). I've found a great chart that seems to have everything but those. Can someone please point me in the right direction? It arrives today, and I want to get these items serviced asap. Much appreciated!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have read both M35a3 TMs, the OM and the Lubrication pdf. I have searched this forum and on google, and I cannot seem to find the torque specs for the drain plugs (oil, transmission, front and rear diffs, etc). I've found a great chart that seems to have everything but those. Can someone please point me in the right direction? It arrives today, and I want to get these items serviced asap. Much appreciated!

Assure you are torquing against NEW copper waster washers (squish washers) when you tighten them up. It don't take much. Clean mating surfaces is good.
I call them waster washers, squish washers, because there is stuff inside them. One is supposed to toss them and install new ones.

5330-01-352-3360 5330 013523360 Gasket 04522
5330-01-352-3360 Features
MRC Parameter Characteristics
AAGR Cross-Sectional Shape Style Metal with soft filler
ABJH Temp Rating 500.0 deg fahrenheit
ABKV Outside Diameter 1.484 inches minimum and 1.500 inches maximum
ABVL Aperture Diameter 1.250 inches minimum and 1.266 inches maximum
ADVM Cross-Sectional Thickness 0.078 inches minimum and 0.109 inches maximum
CRTL Criticality Code Justification MATT
CTQW Maximum Pressure Rating 200.0 pounds per square inch

It is a 3/32 thick 1-1/4ID x 1-1/2"OD copper crush gasket need two.

So if you look around at some auction sites and search for part MS35769-31 or AN900-20 one may find them for a buck thirty each. Use new ones and you can feel when it is tight enough. Without new gaskets you may have to animal it to get it to seal but then you may have to get a new plug (part 445097) and repair the oil pan.
AN900-20 crush gasket 1-1/4" ID x 1-1/2" OD

Oh nevermind, the A3 trucks have the CAT 3116 engine so NONE of this applies. Oh Well, I continuously find (when looking back) I can't see the basis of questions. But I ain't erasing it.

Wherever it drains use new squish washers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks