• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 LMTV A0 windshield wiper

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiper blades on my LMTV just started 'parking' at the left side of the windshield instead of laying along the bottom of the windshield. This happened while on a longer drive.

They don't just sort of stall there but come to a hard stop. This has to be related to the 'stop/park' switch on the motor doesn't it?

At least they kept working as we continued to a campsite.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can take the arms off and put them back on in the rest position. If that won’t work you need to get into the dash and adjust the operating mechanism. Maybe it slipped somehow. The repair tm shows how to position it properly in the section for its replacement.

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Resurrecting this post as my wipers function fine but every time I turn off my wipers they park themselves at 12 O'clock in my line of sight. M1078A1 truck. All wiper speeds seem to work fine including intermittent. I'm still searching the TM's to find what might be causing them to park straight up? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You may be able to take the arms off and put them back on at rest position. If that dosnt work then you will have to reset the linkage.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had posted earlier that my wipers on a 1994 LMTV had also changed parking position. First they stopped at 90 degrees straight up, then started parking at about 45 degrees.

Snowtrac Nome, you have to be correct, there must be an indexing cam/switch on the motor that moved. Do you have hands on experience about how that cam functions? Tom is right too, it can't be a linkage slippage because the blades still wipe the windshield perfectly, and resetting the 3 blades to 'correct' position manually would result in a wiped cab front :)

My wipers fixed themselves and have not malfunctioned again since the post of last December. A good mystery.

My troubleshooting stopped when the wipers again started parking at the correct position.

By the way, my wipers have been used a lot. The LMTV is my daily driver and February set an all-time record for rainfall, almost 14 inches of rain in a short month!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Older thread - but it does mention windshield wipers... When I purchased my truck from its previous owner, there were two brand new blades and arms with obviously "civi blades" on them. The center blade just lays there and doesn't move (picture below). I don't always take the shortcut way - but it looks like this is going to be a BEAR to get to... Anybody got suggestions on where to start gaining access to the linkage?

Based on reading this thread, I am guessing that there is a piece of linkage has come loose on that center wiper arm. Again, it looks like a miserable thing to get to. ANY ideas, suggestions or even referral to a TM would be appreciated.

Windshield Wiper CenterIsDead.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here is data
Thanks Frank! Now if only my truck was exploded (without being blown up!) like that picture - I could enjoy it even more.

I believe I saw that picture in the TM and kept digging. I was hoping to find the "Chilton's Manual" version of the "how to do it" or maybe "how to gain access" to that impossible to reach linkage...

Tim

JD4044M

I need to move one Wiper Arm a little. Seems it stops about 8-10" away from the edge in front of the Driver. Not a big deal one I figure how to remove the arm and not break anything?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need to move one Wiper Arm a little. Seems it stops about 8-10" away from the edge in front of the Driver. Not a big deal one I figure how to remove the arm and not break anything?
I am definitely NOT the expert, but according to all I have read - yes. Pull the entire arm off and put it back on in proper position. AND THEN, if it moves again you may have something loose that needs to be tightened up to stop the problem. (as I understand it)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
To move the arm just take the nut off and put pressure on the arm sideways and wiggle it. To get to the linkage take the PCP out and remove the heater assembly plus maybe the instrument panel. It is really pretty easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks