• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 802a vibration issue

FredLindner

Hi. I'm new to this site but have a 5kw unit that has about 300 hrs on it. Just replaced diesel return line from injectors, tank well nuts, and water pump, along with rehooking battle short light, main circuit breaker light and new batteries. Any suggestions would be appreciated but I have a few problems that still remain even though unit runs and produces good power.
1. Seems to vibrate a lot more than videos of this unit I have seen.
2. Installed a battery cutoff after hooking up new batteries and 2 weeks later batteries were dead. Cant figure this one out? Voltage regulator on alternator?
3. Bad oil pressure gauge. Could use one if anybody has one for sale?
4. Thought about using this for backup in conjunction with solar power generation and need a way to autostart on demand from inverter. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks for listening.

smokem joe

802a does vibrate quite a bit. It isn't near as smooth as the 803a.
Check your alternator. That is usually where the battery draw is.
I've found other gauges that work for most of the stock ones, but not had any need to find oil pressure. Maybe someone that has can chime in.
inovahightech.com has remote and auto start boards. They may be able to get you what you want for starting. Member Klopp on here is working on one, but it isn't available for sale yet.

Guyfang

Staff member
First, look at the shock isolaters. The 4 rubber baby buggy bumpers that are supposed to dampen the vibrations. Are they tight? Are they cracked. Are they compleat? Look at the -24P, and know what you are looking for. Try and see if you can see the part number. Make sure it's for a 5 KW, not a 10 KW part.

Then loosen the IP, (injector pump) securing bolt, on the first IP, just a bit. Start the set, and just let it run. Put a wrench on the first IP. Turn it a tad one way, then the other. Find a place where it feels like it runs smooth. Then tighten it down. Repeat on the second IP.

By the way, how much can you judge vibrations from a video? If you haven't seen one live, then you may be creating a problem where it's not there. Will the set "walk" across the floor? Many people equate noise to vibrations. Cut down the noise, and they think the vibrations are less. Put some rubber between the lifting shackles and the frame. Makes lots less noise.

Also keep in mind, it's a 2 cylinder Diesel engine. It vibrates. When I installed a turbine engine in a gen set right, I could stand a quarter on its edge, on top of the set. I have never seen any 2 cylinder engine come close.

How do you know the oil pressure gage is bad? Did you test it IAW the -24 TM? You made sure the wires were correctly hooked up. Often they are not hooked up right. Did you test the sending unit?

Last edited:

mlaxton

First, look at the shock isolaters. The 4 rubber baby buggy bumpers that are supposed to dampen the vibrations. Are they tight? Are they cracked. Are they compleat? Look at the -24P, and know what you are looking for. Try and see if you can see the part number. Make sure it's for a 5 KW, not a 10 KW part.

Then loosen the IP, (injector pump) securing bolt, on the first IP, just a bit. Start the set, and just let it run. Put a wrench on the first IP. Turn it a tad one way, then the other. Find a place where it feels like it runs smooth. Then tighten it down. Repeat on the second IP.

By the way, how much can you judge vibrations from a video? If you haven't seen one live, then you may be creating a problem where it's not there. Will the set "walk" across the floor? Many people equate noise to vibrations. Cut down the noise, and they think the vibrations are less. Put some rubber between the lifting shackles and the frame. Makes lots less noise.

Also keep in mind, it's a 2 cylinder Diesel engine. It vibrates. When I installed a turbine engine in a gen set right, I could stand a quarter on its edge, on top of the set. I have never seen any 2 cylinder engine come close.

How do you know the oil pressure gage is bad? Did you test it IAW the -24 TM? You made sure the wires were correctly hooked up. Often they are not hooked up right. Did you test the sending unit?
Is this covered in the TM for an 802?

mlaxton

No, not really. This comes from the school of hard knocks. AND some, from the TM's.
I bought a reset 802a rebuilt lister, I understand they vibrate naturally, I’m almost sure what I am experiencing is not right due to the fact that it will vibrate harder at some times then run smoother at other times. Can you please explain turning the injector pump? Sorry if my terminology is off. Am I looking for the top of the engine or the ones down on the side?

ECS

I have an 802 and it seems to be vibrating too much also.

I did adjust the injector pump and it vibrates less when it's turned counter clock wise as much as possible. but still vibrates too much.
Engine mounts are tight.

This one has only 12 hours on it. I had to clean out the injector pump to get it to run. Once the injector pumps were cleaned out the 802 ran.

When it runs the rpm seems ok, runs a 60 hz fine. All guages are normal, it just vibrates excessive. It rattles the doors, like it's out of balance.

What else could cause this? Dirty injector?

Guyfang

Staff member
Its a 802A. They vibrate. take a film of it and post it. But I will ask you, will the set walk across the floor? If not, its probaly OK. But show us.

ECS

Its a 802A. They vibrate. take a film of it and post it. But I will ask you, will the set walk across the floor? If not, its probaly OK. But show us.
Thanks for the reply,

I have 1 more kind of dumb question, what temp should it run at? This runs at a steady 180 degrees.

No it will not walk across the floor, I never owned one of these 802's before.

It just shakes and rattles more than any other generator (non- 5 kw) I have ever had.

When it vibrates the doors all rattle, and these door stop rails make a fairly amount loud ratting noise,
The exhaust pipe tip jumps up and down about 3/16" or about 3 threads of the pipe total. down 1.5 up 1.5 threads.

When it runs under load or no load it has the same amount of vibration.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks for the reply,

I have 1 more kind of dumb question, what temp should it run at? This runs at a steady 180 degrees. (That's normal. If you open the -10 TM, in the front section all these kinds of questions will be answered. )

No it will not walk across the floor, I never owned one of these 802's before.

It just shakes and rattles more than any other generator (non- 5 kw) I have ever had.

When it vibrates the doors all rattle, and these door stop rails make a fairly amount loud ratting noise,
The exhaust pipe tip jumps up and down about 3/16" or about 3 threads of the pipe total. down 1.5 up 1.5 threads.

When it runs under load or no load it has the same amount of vibration.

I don't think you have a problem. Lots of folks remove the lifting shackles. They put small pieces of rubber in between rattling parts. Take the door stops off. Or other crap, like the "D" ring on the top rear of the set. Its to hold the control panel cover from being blown closed in high winds. I would simply take it off.

uniquify

Is your 802 sitting on the ground or mounted on a trailer, etc?

I had an 802 that shook like crazy when it was on a 803-sized dolly made of 2x6's. The wood had too much flex to it. It got much better when I put it on a concrete floor.

Later I mounted it on a small trailer and between the tires and suspension, it settled down a bit more. It's still not as smooth as an 803, though.

ECS

My 802 is on the dirt right now, but I have a concert slab I'm going to mount it to on the weekend.

Next inspect what is rattling and see how quiet I can get it.

I had some other thread with it surging, and what was going on there was I had one of the injector pumps installed wrong.
Now I know why they said only do 1 injector pump at a time!

Thanks everyone !

MrShawn305

I just took my 802 off the trailer I had it on and set it on a couple of railroad ties next to the house. The ties are sitting on bare dirt. Probably about 15' between my house and the neighbor's. The resonance sucksssssss. I swear the thing vibrates the ground like a roller does lol. I was thinking of using the stall mats as mentioned above, but looking around I saw they have the anti fatigue mats as well. Those are the rubber mats with holes in them. I'm wondering if those would work better as they have some give to them. What do you all think?

Ray70

Anything is better than nothing! The more give the better up to a point, but regardless, the entire 800 lbs will be sitting on about 200 square inches of frame rail, so maybe 4-5 PSI, so even the open hole anti fatigue mat should be fine.

ECS

I just took my 802 off the trailer I had it on and set it on a couple of railroad ties next to the house. The ties are sitting on bare dirt. Probably about 15' between my house and the neighbor's. The resonance sucksssssss. I swear the thing vibrates the ground like a roller does lol. I was thinking of using the stall mats as mentioned above, but looking around I saw they have the anti fatigue mats as well. Those are the rubber mats with holes in them. I'm wondering if those would work better as they have some give to them. What do you all think?

Get a horse stall mat from tractor supply that is 1" thick and sit it on that.

Someone on here pointing me to do that and it works great.

bolted it to a 4" slab with the horse stall mat between the slab and the 802

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks