• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top from scratch

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone made their soft top? I need one on the deuce and M929.

I'm looking at duck canvas in 12oz and thinking of using black inside and OD outside with closed cell foam to insulate and cut noise. Joints/seams will be glued and have large overlaps. I may have a center seam done by the canvas company (sewn).

I'm going to double the rod supports too.

Are the side grommets available...they seem rather special?

Reactions: HDN

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost for materials on one (should be enough for two) of about $100, I thought I would try it. I've located some marine duck deep forest green 12 oz for about $3 a yard. I'll make an inner layer and then an outer with some closed cell foam in between. Most sewing will be done by hand using stainless wire and I'll use HH-66 vinyl adhesive. Probably use paint as a weatherproofing.

I may put in a clear window but not opening it.

I have several other projects that I want to try my hand at making canvas covers and tents for too.

rustystud

Cost for materials on one (should be enough for two) of about $100, I thought I would try it. I've located some marine duck deep forest green 12 oz for about $3 a yard. I'll make an inner layer and then an outer with some closed cell foam in between. Most sewing will be done by hand using stainless wire and I'll use HH-66 vinyl adhesive. Probably use paint as a weatherproofing.

I may put in a clear window but not opening it.

I have several other projects that I want to try my hand at making canvas covers and tents for too.
So you must have a commercial sewing machine then. I had a friend that used to make canvas products. He had a large commercial machine he bought and did jobs on the side to pay for it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a nice commercial singer. I used it to sew the plastic channel back on my soft top for the m109. It was still attached when I sold it a few years ago.

rustystud

I have a nice commercial singer. I used it to sew the plastic channel back on my soft top for the m109. It was still attached when I sold it a few years ago.
Over the years I have thought of buying a nice commercial sewing machine so I could sew canvas and leather items. The amount of money needed and all the other equipment needed to properly sew those changed my mind. I still look though.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started making soft slant backs with a 1945 Singer 245 mod'd to handle outdoor rated thread and moved up to a 1965 Singer 591D200A which is still not an outdoor products rated machine (for lack of a better term) but handles the 1000D Cordura nylon I use better than the 1945. For my birthday I bought a servo motor to upgrade my table to MUCH better control and speed variety. (What kind of man buys himself a sewing machine motor for his birthday? Me, I guess...)

I daydream about having a walking foot machine, and they pop up on Craigslist around me for $750-1500 pretty regularly, but it's outside my price point.

I look forward to following your progress tobyS.

Bulldogger

rustystud

I started making soft slant backs with a 1945 Singer 245 mod'd to handle outdoor rated thread and moved up to a 1965 Singer 591D200A which is still not an outdoor products rated machine (for lack of a better term) but handles the 1000D Cordura nylon I use better than the 1945. For my birthday I bought a servo motor to upgrade my table to MUCH better control and speed variety. (What kind of man buys himself a sewing machine motor for his birthday? Me, I guess...)

I daydream about having a walking foot machine, and they pop up on Craigslist around me for $750-1500 pretty regularly, but it's outside my price point.

I look forward to following your progress tobyS.

Bulldogger
Your not the only guy who wants a nice commercial sewing machine ! The things one can do with a good machine is endless ! Especially if your a military collector like we all are. Canvas is everywhere on military vehicles. The cost to have stuff like that made is extremely high. Better if you have the equipment to do it yourself.
I've often thought a Deuce soft Top made out of 1000 Denier Cordura would be most excellent !!!
Wouldn't have to worry about rot or rain or almost anything !

Last edited:

CMPPhil

Your not the only guy who wants a nice commercial sewing machine ! .....
I've often thought a Deuce soft Top made out of 1000 Denier Cordura would be most excellent !!!
Wouldn't have to worry about rot or rain or almost anything !
Hi

I have an industrial sew machine, and the Cordura sews like a dream. It looks like canvas but wears like iron, great for seat covers and hatch covers.

Cheers Phil

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to ever splurge, get one with reverse! Mine is a walking foot, but has no reverse, can be a real pita sometimes.
+1 for reverse! My first machine didn't have reverse so I had to reorient or move the fabric, trying to stitch over my previous stitches (to lock the stitch row). My new(er) machine has reverse and I cherish it.

BDGR

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Sister-in-law does upholstery and makes restaurant seats and boat covers. If I need something sewn with a commercial machine I'd farm it out. Last one I did was a window by hand. :-(

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I missed the sale at the canvas store for 1.99/yard. Now it's 4.99 for the 12oz duck. I'm looking for alternatives but my guess is, the Cordura is really expensive. I'll look into it. I'm into cheap (but heavy).

I looked for the 21oz waterproof and found that it's really 15 oz when it is un-treated. So I'll probably go for the 15 un-treated. I have a 2 part rustoleum for the waterproof treatment and we have a hive for beeswax.

If I use a ready made tarp, I can get a size that can be doubled, like an 8x16, thus have an inside and an outside...very heavy.

Using a freezer clear vinyl door strip about 1/8" x12" x10' for a non opening window. Rod supports will be doubled. Maybe the entire back should roll up. Hmmm.

I'm going to have to pay a tarp shop for what sewing I need. I expect to hand stitch a lot, use HH-66 glue, use copper rivets and burrs and have lots of grommets.

I'd like to figure out how to get water away from the front window hinge and the side window too.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1000Denier cordura is about $6-7/yard if you buy 10 yards. 1000D is about 11.5 ounces per square yard. I make the soft slant backs out of it. Ballistic nylon is around 1500D and about 14oz per yard if I recall correctly. There is a CA based surplus seller on eBay that has black ballistic nylon for as low as $6/yd in bulk. I can pm you the link if desired.
Best of luck. If you pull it off, I may copy you. My top is pretty weather beaten but I am turned off by all the solutions needed to handle rain channels, side seams, front seam and all that. Easier to buy one from a PA vendor with some overstock. They advertise on my local Craigslist at about $325-375 depending on color.
Bulldogger

rustystud

I know there is another thread about this, but it seems all the guys that can do commercial sewing are here so. Can anyone here sew up some deuce front axle boots out of "Cordura" or "Ballistic" Nylon ? If we could have that done that would solve a major vexing problem for all deuce owners. I've heard that Nylon can be made water proof, so some boots made from Cordura or Ballistic nylon would last a lifetime on our deuces !
I would pay some serious money to have boots made from a material that I know would last then have to pay for cheap quality boots and have to rebuild my front axle again and again !!!! I've torn two sets of the "new" silicone boots and I'm tired of this crap ! The cheap aftermarket stuff from China is worse in my opinion. I cannot even think of going off-road anymore unless I have a spare set of boots handy.
I'm sure there are many others here who feel the same. So maybe one of you enterprising fellows can find a way to make this happen, and make some money on the side.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there is another thread about this, but it seems all the guys that can do commercial sewing are here so. Can anyone here sew up some deuce front axle boots out of "Cordura" or "Ballistic" Nylon ? If we could have that done that would solve a major vexing problem for all deuce owners. I've heard that Nylon can be made water proof, so some boots made from Cordura or Ballistic nylon would last a lifetime on our deuces !
I would pay some serious money to have boots made from a material that I know would last then have to pay for cheap quality boots and have to rebuild my front axle again and again !!!! I've torn two sets of the "new" silicone boots and I'm tired of this crap ! The cheap aftermarket stuff from China is worse in my opinion. I cannot even think of going off-road anymore unless I have a spare set of boots handy.
I'm sure there are many others here who feel the same. So maybe one of you enterprising fellows can find a way to make this happen, and make some money on the side.
Sent you a PM rustystud.

99nouns

I am with you on that, dont forget the beloved double deuce 5ton brothers.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with you on that, dont forget the beloved double deuce 5ton brothers.
I told rustystud and I'll tell all here, if someone can get me one of the preferred boots to cut arpart and use as a pattern, I will see what I can do. I won't cut it up unless I'm sure I can do the job, or at least get it back together, of course.

If someone has a torn or worn one, but still enough there to see how it is made and shaped, I'm game to give it a whirl. No way its as hard as making my HMMWV soft slant backs with three and a half yards of material and 60 yards of stitching...

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks