• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tools and Parts every M35A2 owner should keep on hand.

McBigIron

Hello, I'm new to owning an M35A2. Is there a list of tools and parts specific to the Deuce which would be wise to keep on hand? My 1970 M35A2 is a daily driver and constantly operates on some pretty extreme trails... Needless to say I'll have some regular/irregular maintenance issues. My livelihood depends on this rig staying in service and I live in a pretty remote area so tools and parts are challenging to obtain on short notice. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. First off start with downloading the TM's and read the -10. You should also read through the threads in the stickies of the deuce forum ( also the correct forum for deuce questions) . The best thing to do is spend a lot of time read threads in the Deuce forum and get to know your truck and others experiences with their trucks. Click on yellow text to open the posted links.
The Deuce

TM's for the Deuce

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

Here is a spreadsheet of parts from NAPA /Carquest , most won't be in stock at your store.
Anything else is going to be e-pay or military parts dealers.

Deuce Parts Quick Reference Spreadsheet

Tools for working on the Deuce

Looking for list of recommended tools

can a deuce ever be very reliable?

Mandatory Deuce tools

Tool box

Big boy tools for deuce

Tools to buy for working on the deuce???

Deuce tools

tire tools

oboyjohn

Hello McBigIron and welcome to the forum. As for tooling, that depends on how comfortable you are at wrenching yourself. I have heard of some people being able to perform miracles with really basic tools and some others that could not fix their truck with the entire contents of the Sears catalogue. All depends on your skills. Any experience in doing your own mechanics?

McBigIron

Unfortunately, I have the least mechanical knowledge or experience of almost anyone I know. In the event of performing a new task, I usually reference the University of YouTube. Im finding very few vids on repairing the Deuce, a few repairs which have popped up are: replacing the sender for the temp gauge and the air compressor is making a squeaking / knocking sound.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, I have the least mechanical knowledge or experience of almost anyone I know. In the event of performing a new task, I usually reference the University of YouTube. Im finding very few vids on repairing the Deuce, a few repairs which have popped up are: replacing the sender for the temp gauge and the air compressor is making a squeaking / knocking sound.
If your counting youtube videos you got the wrong truck for what your doing .
Edit ; So what is your plan for when your in one of these remote area's with no cellphone service or internet and you have a dead truck ?

Last edited:
These trucks require the same kind of care and maintenance as any other forty-plus year old vehicle that spent half of its life being abused by careless hot-headed twenty-some year olds. Things are going to fail... things are going to break... parts are going to end up becoming scarce. Even just sitting and hardly being used they still require yearly maintenance. Even a task as simple as changing a tire requires some fairly heavy duty tools. So unless you're willing to spend the money on an assortment of various tools and equipment, and take the time to learn how to fix big broken things from decades past then you'd better be prepared to pay someone else big money very often to do it for you. These are nice hobby vehicles for people who just plain enjoy them... I don't think I would want to trust my livelihood on one of them. And just for reference I own one deuce and three 5-tons... I consider myself to be halfway intelligent, and fairly mechanically inclined, and even I sometimes become overwhelmed with just how much maintenance these trucks require.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I wouldn't say your so remote look where I'm at every thing comes here by boat or plane. My roads out here are pretty bad to. the old duce is a pretty reliable and simple truck. you admit to not being MacGyver. I would suggest you find a guy there locally who has the experience with them pay him right to do your semi and annual services, you should be fine. I work on duces up here for the folks who have them they wont let any other shop touch them.

McBigIron

View attachment 751248This is the truck I bought recently, luckily it has had a substantial amount of work done to it already. I'm in the process of finding a mech who can work on it after hours, currently we're building a shop with a living space so we can run the truck all day and work on it at night. I realize I've jumped the gun... I'm in a pinch and have to figure out how to keep this thing running strong for nine solid months this year. During the three months of down-time we'll be able to overhaul it for the following season.

oboyjohn

Hey McBigIron. You are going to have a steep learning curve ahead of you. As snowtrack said, find someone locally in your area to do the servicing. While they are doing it, keep your eyes and ears open. Watch, if you can, and learn how to the basic servicing. And most importantly, read the manuals, repair and drivers. They contain a wealth of info how to keep your truck safe and running. This site has the manuals available to the members and is highly suggested to go through them before tackling any repair. I would also suggest find someone who already has a deuce or has experience driving them and spend some quality time behind the wheel with them giving you tips. Good luck with your Deuce!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey McBigIron. You are going to have a steep learning curve ahead of you. As snowtrack said, find someone locally in your area to do the servicing. While they are doing it, keep your eyes and ears open. Watch, if you can, and learn how to the basic servicing. And most importantly, read the manuals, repair and drivers. They contain a wealth of info how to keep your truck safe and running. This site has the manuals available to the members and is highly suggested to go through them before tackling any repair. I would also suggest find someone who already has a deuce or has experience driving them and spend some quality time behind the wheel with them giving you tips. Good luck with your Deuce!
Links to the TM's were provided in post # 2.

bonedoc

Keep your eyes and ears open and alert for parts. Buy them when you find them especially if they are cheaply priced. Especially things like transmissions, engines, brake parts, etc. Always a blessing to have a supply of parts and have what you need when you need it.

snowtrac nome

I should add one of my deciding factors with going lmtv was the wet bearings in the rear and a whole lot less axle maintenance than a duce, with its old style bearings and seals that require so much maintenance. When you drive one occasionally one can get away with not servicing the bearings so much, but when being used regularly at highway speeds mud and water you really need to take care of the bearings, seals and boots, or you are going to have a costly failure along the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks