• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Big Block Build

JEEPNJESS

Hello everyone, i just picked up an M37 and thinking of putting in a 440 big block in it. Looking thru all the threads i haven't seen anyone put a big block Chrysler in a M37 power wagon. Does anyone have information you can share or any links to a build done in this manor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been many 318 swaps with success. I would be concerned with parts breakage myself.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

You may break things. If you make the M37 go fast, you'll find that the brakes are inadequate to stop your truck. You'll also probably need a different transmission and probably a different transfer case because the stock one may over heat. The gearing in the front and rear axles (5.83) will also be a problem. You'll probably also want power steering and power brakes, so you will need to consider that also.

It's all been done before, but it is a big project (both time and money). You end up with a new (modern) truck under an old body.

Your truck; your choice.

Good Luck with you project! Post lots of pictures of your progress.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your really serious about this I would leave that poor little M37 alone for exactly the reasons Storm51 said and I would just give legacy trucks a call out of Jackson Hole Wyoming! Here you can get your old Dodge with everything GO FAST that you want full modern vehicle in every way yet it still looks like your old M37. The old Dodges dont grow on trees you know! I would say if your reasonable on the level of options your going to want you should get Legacy to do the whole thing for around 250,000$ And that is out the door USD$$$$
Your old M37 will be very grateful to you your!
Karl

I say big block that M37. Feed your creativity, and tick off the haters! On a side note I don't ever recall seeing an M37 with a blower and zoomies through the hood... hint hint!

JEEPNJESS

I am not really looking to go fast as much as i had a reliable 440 sitting around that i could put in the truck, what do you think is the max hp and torque the stock truck could handle before i have to start replacing a lot of parts. How much power can you squeeze out of the original motor without loosing reliability? I would like to be able to drive the truck to a location and do some off roading and then drive it home. So if i can get it to do 60 on the highway that would be great.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This makes it a little easier to make suggestions, now that you have defined the performance envelop.

The Canadians used a 251 (265?) c.i. engine in their trucks with a different transmission. I believe they had a higher top speed.

The real problem you face is not the engine but the rest of the running gear. These trucks were built to keep pace with 1950's tanks. Tanks didn't go very fast back then.

There are 4.89 conversions for the front and rear end. The transfer case can be a problem because at higher speeds it gets very hot. Maybe a transfer case cooler with fan will help with that problem, but it is just not designed for sustained high speeds.

There are also disc brake conversion kits available and there are power steering conversion kits available also for control at higher (freeway) speeds.

The point of all of this is not to dissuade you, but to be sure you have considered all the additional engineering issues (and COSTS) you will be facing if you modernize the truck.

You might want to consider discussing this project with some of the people over on G741. All they focus on are M37 & M43 vehicles over there. There are some very knowledgeable power train engineers, machinists and experienced hobbyist there who can help you with your projects. It would be worth your time (IMO) to talk to them.

Good Luck with your project!

67Beast

Also be aware that the M37 has a pretty narrow engine compartment which makes swapping bigger engines a bit more difficult that most other vehicles. There are a lot of engineering obstacles to over come to try and shoe horn a big 440 in there.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at some Power Wagon sites a couple years ago and a guy had an M37 sitting on a full and real serious drag chassis. It had a fluu Brodix block and heads, the engine was a 496 ci blown and injected the zoomies came up and went through the fenders on each side of the cowl. It had some form of a Lenco **** assembly with Mark Williams rear end and full slicks, it was a true for real serious drag chassis. Now why you would mount an M37 on top of this is WAY beyond me?????
Karl

just me

The easiest way to do what you want is to put the body on a modern chassis. It will still be a big expensive project with a lot of fabrication. But will eliminate a bunch of engineering and fabrication.

JEEPNJESS

It is looking like the 440 is going to be a lot of work and a tight fit in this truck. Has anyone did a engine swap with a 4.0 litter inline 6 cyl from a jeep? I am thinking this might be a good route to go to get a little more power into this truck.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Length is an issue. The Canadian M-37s had bigger engines (still flat head in line sixes, but slightly longer) and they had to move the radiator forward. This means you will also need a longer hood, etc. Measure the Jeep 4.0 and see if it will fit. You will also need to think about changing everything to 12 volt.

Anything is possible if you have the time and money.

Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks