• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OZ-USA LED headlights?

Sgt C

New deuce owner looking at upgrade options. Anyone have experience with OZ USA lights? The ad on Amazon and the price look tempting. I did a quick search and nothing came up so throwing the question out to the experts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, are the LED's generally drop in or are other electrical mods needed?

Sgt C

Thanks Gimpyrobb. Those maxximas are pricey. Guess they'll go on the wish list. The oz USA lights are 24v and the come with wiring harness adapters. Phillips diodes but assembled in China. Reviews were mixed but few...the same for the maxximas. At $80 for 2, it might be worth taking a chance? If I do get them, I'll be sure to post a review.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ive gotten the trucklite leds from military surplus and some dont last. Id rather spend my money on something with a warranty now a days.

Sgt C

You make a very good point and generally I follow that rule as well; however, sometimes a gem comes along and I'd hate to miss out. I'll probably wait and get the maxximas at some point.

shannondeese

I bought new truck light LEDs back in 2009. I don't daily my truck anymore but it does get driven at least once a week if not twice. Either too or from work with the head lights on. They still work awesome.

Sgt C

So after doing some further research, it seems the OZ-USA lights have a decent reputation. Enough so that I placed an order. Guess I'll be the guidea pig. I'll report on how they work once installed.

Sgt C

First saw the ad on evil bay but saw the same thing on Amazon. I wasnt able to copy the link from my phone but this is most of the description:7" OZ-USA 75w High Output Military LED Headlight 24 volts M35a2... I also did a general search for OZ USA reviews. Not many of them but mostly good reviews. The big question is who makes the LED drivers? Website indicates they're assembled in China but are all the components US made? With any LED light, the weak link is always the drivers. And the manufacturer typically only warranties the LED chip itself. Anyways, the price is worth a chance...I hope.

Sgt C

Guinea Pig here... lights arrived last week. Very well packaged, in fact, it was top quality packaging. Lights looked great and appeared to be very well-made. Only problem is that the ring bezel on the light doesn't fit the stock retaining ring on the truck at all. I have no intention of hacking up the ring to try and make it work. So, off they go back to Amazon for a refund. Lesson learned...cost me $5 in return shipping.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After three failed TruckLite LED sets I purchased "7'' Round 120W CREE LED Headlight Hi/Lo Beam Fit 97-17 Jeep JK TJ LJ Wrangler" on a well known auction site for less than $70 for the pair. They fit exactly, look good and are super bright. No complaints!

Adapting the harness was easy - military connectors crimped to the supplied H4 harness, no alteration on the truck side needed. Easy peasy.

wclark4000

In the FWIW department, I popped over to the motor pool last week to take a look at the LED headlights being ordered/installed by Uncle Sam. I wasn’t able to look in depth at a loose lamp because as luck would have it the power was out, but the two things that I did notice are relevant to points mentioned in the thread. First, the mounting ring appears to be integral to the assembly with the face of the lens extending around 1/2-3/4” forward of the ring. Secondly and likely because of that, the shape of the lamp body is shallow enough that it appears they would fit in the original bucket.

I also have bought a pair of $55 7” lamps as an experiment (I’ve got 4 vehicles that use 7” round dual beam lamps) and their construction shape is so deep that the buckets will have to be cut and/or reshaped to install. Next week I’m hoping to identify the manufacturer and part number of the military lamps so those who choose to can go that route.

Buffalo 7 Out

Sgt C

Update: gave up on LEDs. Went with the halogens from Those Military Guys. Tonight was the first chance to use them. Very satisfied. Nice and bright. No issues installing them. Worth the money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks