• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M123

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to the vid in the first post, at 18 seconds you can see the device. It can be seen at 46 seconds in the 2nd vid too. It is not mounted to anything except at the place that looks like the mount fasttruck posted in the first pic in post 19

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your truck was a converted gasser. Have any photos of the dataplates? The original gassers had the dual low mount exhausts like your truck. Yours may not be an A1C because those were factory built by CONDEC as diesels if I recall correctly.

fasttruck

Loading tanks ? This was a character building exercise using a M123 and a M747 60 ton trailer. Most of the blocks and shackles required were part of the OVM for the trailer. Diagrams attached are extracted from TM 9-2320-=206-10, the operator's manual for the 10 ton. Also lists the variants, principle differences being fifth wheel height and the number of winches. On diesel trucks I have seen
at least 4 exhaust arrangements through the years. The most recent variant had a y pipe and one stack on the right side near the spare tire.MEMPHIS AUCTION # 2.jpgMTA SHOW 4.2008.jpg10T TM.jpgwinching off.jpgwinching on.jpg

fasttruck

Truck on right side of post 23 has one upright exhaust visible by spare tire. Truck left side with convoy lights has 2 upright exhausts just ahead of intermediate axle. You could also get the more common 2 pipes below the deck plate and another with 2 upright pipes side by side in behind the winch in side the frame rails. No y pipe here.

fasttruck

Found more 10 ton pics: rear view of M123A1C showing single exhaust arrangement and a pic of the dreaded "z" rig employed to unload tanks. It took 3 men to hang the blocks: 2 to hold it and a third man to put the pin in the shackle. Their instructions were if they thought it was going to fall get away from it because if the block fell on your foot you wouldn't walk right for as while.MD MV SHOW 05.14.2011 007.jpgMD MV SHOW 05.14.2011 008.jpgZ RIG M9911-747-M60.jpg

fasttruck

Found 1 more 10 ton pic: this one shows the not often seen twin outboard stacks. When running the winch you had to be carefulM 172 # 5.jpg not to get burned by the one on the driver's side.

fasttruck

The M123 and replacement M 911 did not have drum clutches on the winches which made it necessary to spool the cable out under power. This issue has been solved with the M1070 which has a dog clutch and an auxiliary winch with snatch block that is provided to deploy the cable.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once owned Jumbo, the 1957 M125 10 ton cargo. It was a very cool truck, but it was more fun to look and talk about than drive in my opinion. I once hit a road sign with my passenger side mirror...AND I WAS IN MY LANE! I believe top speed was 42 MPH. Still, I do miss it every so often. The truck was restored by Tony LaRocca (I believe that was his name) in WI. It was featured in an old issue of MIL-VEH magazine. It had the LeRoi gasser in it. It sounded like an old school bus on steroids when you rev'ed it up!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I once owned Jumbo, the 1957 M125 10 ton cargo. It was a very cool truck, but it was more fun to look and talk about than drive in my opinion. I once hit a road sign with my passenger side mirror...AND I WAS IN MY LANE! I believe top speed was 42 MPH. Still, I do miss it every so often. The truck was restored by Tony LaRocca (I believe that was his name) in WI. It was featured in an old issue of MIL-VEH magazine. It had the LeRoi gasser in it. It sounded like an old school bus on steroids when you rev'ed it up!
Oooooh yeah. I forgot about that. I had a chance to buy a M125 once, but I didn’t have the cash at the time. Hopefully, I’ll get another chance one of these days.

m26a1tom

A few years ago, I used my M123 to move a steam powered locomotive wreck crane. The crane itself weighed just shy of 220,000 lbs. A lesser truck would not have been able to complete the job.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks