• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Cargo Bow Questions

NMC_EXP

Greetings

I have not been on SS since I sold my M1009 and M101A2. Previously I owned a '62 M37B1 w/winch and had slowly collected some parts for it. Sadly the M37 was totally destroyed in a building fire. The only MV I have left is an M416.

During a recent relocation a lot of M37 parts came to light leading to my questions. These include three complete bow assemblies. After searching and seeing the info on garbee.net I'm positive the bow corners are M37 and not M101. These corners have the correct bolt orientation, have strap brackets and still have leather straps on them. These bows and some other items had been in dry storage at a county maintenance shed for decades.

I had found and installed a complete troop seat set for the M37B1. I'm pretty sure I test fit these bows to the truck but can't recall for certain.

Before I advertise these bows I need to verify what vehicle they are for. Had a thought they could be for the M715 or some other truck I know nothing about.

The vertical legs on these bows measure 65" center to center. The vertical height of the bow from the bottom of the vertical leg to top of the bow is about 27-1/2". I could not find dimensions on this site.

Question: Are these m/l the correct dimensions for M37 bows? If not, for which truck?

I can post photos if needed.

Thanks and best regards.

Jim

67Beast

The easiest way to tell a difference is in the bow corners. M37' and M101 trailer bows have an 90 degree bow corner where the M715 and other vehicles like the M35's have a more rounded bow corner that doesn't go quite a full 90 degrees.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The leather straps would indicate that these bows are for an early M37 series truck (M37 or M42 Command Truck). There was a switch to cloth straps amd spring buckles on the cargo tarp at some point early on, but I'm not sure when.

We BE Webbing might know when that occurred.

NMC_EXP

The leather straps would indicate that these bows are for an early M37 series truck (M37 or M42 Command Truck). There was a switch to cloth straps amd spring buckles on the cargo tarp at some point early on, but I'm not sure when.
Good info - thanks. Figured they had to be early because of leather vs webbing.

Follow-up question: These bows are for stake pockets that are about 65" center to center. Does that fit an M37 or is there a chance they are for something else like M715 or a WC or CCKW? To me 65" seems too wide for an M37.

My M37 is long gone and I've had no luck finding cargo bed dimensions.

Thanks again.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
65 inches sounds about right. I was measuring my cargo bed last summer for a new rubber mat, and as I recall it was 64 inches wide (inside width).

Those bows are not for a M715 (M715 came after the M37 series). CCKW, or WC, I don't know.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Storm 51

I really appreciate it.

I had accumulated quite a few parts before my M37 was destroyed and not all were on the truck. Kept thinking someday I'd have another but it's too late in the game for that to happen. So these things will be sold.

NOTE: If anyone is considering reproducing these leather straps and would like the dimensions and photos of them let me know. These straps are intact but stiff enough I doubt they are serviceable. Maybe Pecard's leather care or mink oil would soften them up to use.

just me

I hope you appreciate me putting on shorts and a T-shirt to go out in the frigid 68° night to check. Lol.bow.jpg
64 is near nominal from side to side on the stakes. M37 bows look like this. (I know the straps are wrong)

NMC_EXP

I hope you appreciate me putting on shorts and a T-shirt to go out in the frigid 68° night to check. Lol.View attachment 751488
64 is near nominal from side to side on the stakes. M37 bows look like this. (I know the straps are wrong)
Yup - that's what I have only yours are prettier. I used to prefer the wood to be painted but I've come around to natural look.

And I do appreciate you trekking out into the cold to gather that info.

It's 31° here in Raton NM. High yesterday was 65°.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks