• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting options?

warcow105

Does anyone else have the same mental issue as me when it comes to drilling holes in their truck? If this was someone else's project truck before I got it and there were holes everywhere it wouldn't bother me, but this one is in nice shape and I can't bring myself to do it.
What ways have you mounted lighting, reverse cameras, and switch panels using pre-existing holes?

Mike

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fast forward 70 years and the collectors of the future will be cussing all the holes you drilled like present collectors do with the mods that were done to the WWII Jeeps when they were surplused. Or not.

warcow105

Maybe that's why I have a problem with it. I have modified many other vehicles, but this one has been god knows where during god knows what and it is in great shape, but now I'M going to be the one to shoot it full of holes?? It's like a vet coming back without injury and popping him in the foot with a .22 lol.

Mike

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not drilled a single hole in mine. Any modifications I do use existing holes.

(Ammo can center console, license plate, etc.)

My philosophy is to leave the truck unmolested and make my mods fit the truck instead of making the truck fit the mods.

Your truck. Your call.

JoeJrTheBarber

Back1.jpgLift5.jpgBackUpCamera.jpg
I am kinda with the others as its your truck and do with it as you please.
I don't like to drill holes everywhere, but to look at things abit different and maybe move things around or swap locations for things (if that makes sense).
As in I removed the stock reflectors on the back of the truck and mounted my reverse lights. And notched a space for my back up camera on my "filler" panel that came with my
body lift. I also plan to use smooth cap head bolts in various sizes to fill in all the un-used holes around the truck before I paint it.

Your truck, do what you feel fit to / with it...

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Forgive me but I don't understand why it matters. If you want to install stuff normally not found on them what difference does it make ?
it's your truck . If your goal is to keep it all original then you will find a hole to fit the part. If your modifying it to fit your needs your going to have to drill a hole to hold the new part.

warcow105

Hence my question as to what others have done to mount things without drilling more holes. If I can get away with mounting things in a way that I can remove them later without leaving holes everywhere then that's what I will do.

Mike

Wire Fox

Take to making sheet metal brackets. You can mount this fabricated plate so that it matches up to existing holes and then drill like mad on that bracket you made. Just take a look at the radio rack, speaker mounting plates, and made other items throughout... It's relatively common for them to work that way. Your only major holes to drill will likely be for passing new cable assemblies inside the cab.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

90Jimmy

Mike... me too man!!! It's hard to make those modifications. I struggle, but recently just took a deep breath and said do it.... enjoy my truck. In the past I've kept vehicles just perfect....perfect for the next guy. Older and wiser now. Enjoy it, make it mine. The little "damage' a respectful, responsible dude makes to his truck probably won't alter its operational capabilities or value for "the next guy" anyway. My humble opinion.

Do what you do, post pics so I can dig it and maybe do the same.

JEB

I've noticed a popular vendor has a "no drill"
license plate attachment that uses existing holes.
If there are other similar holes (or bolts that could be removed, an item inserted and the bolts relaced) that would be one way to add back up lights and camera.
A piece of aluminium and a sheet metal brake might be all you need to make a functional attachment point. Some touch up paint in body color or flat black and the piece would be unnoticeable to most.

You'd have to go a long way before you could modify (or wreck) a HMMWV to the extent many Jeeps have been. A friend rebuilt CJs, he said half the battle was removing "improvements" done by past owners.

DatGuyC

I don't like drilling holes either and use existing holes when possible. I just feel that if I ever change my mind on the placement of something I will still have a permanent hole in that location. For my reverse lights there are already holes on each side near the bottom of the fenders so I just put a bolt through those for the light bracket, works great.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can brass plate the whole truck and place it next to your kids first pair of shoes, or you can use it and drive it like you stole it and drill holes where you need.

Initially, I hate modifying anything, like I will somehow annoy the gods, but in actuality, does it really matter.

Someone here answered a similar question maybe a year ago by saying that the military mechanics did whatever they needed to do to make these machines fit any job they were needed to perform. Essentially they would hack things up as necessary.

That begs the question; "why are we so sentimental now when the military didn't care back then?"

Find a balance that works for you. It's called "restification" or restoration with modification.

Avoid adding flashing disco balls while performing mods you find important.

Just enjoy the freakin' vehicle and don't worry about it. Just don't drill new holes into wires and fuel lines and hinges and such.

MHO

T

DatGuyC

You can brass plate the whole truck and place it next to your kids first pair of shoes, or you can use it and drive it like you stole it and drill holes where you need.

Initially, I hate modifying anything, like I will somehow annoy the gods, but in actuality, does it really matter.

Someone here answered a similar question maybe a year ago by saying that the military mechanics did whatever they needed to do to make these machines fit any job they were needed to perform. Essentially they would hack things up as necessary.

That begs the question; "why are we so sentimental now when the military didn't care back then?"

Find a balance that works for you. It's called "restification" or restoration with modification.

Avoid adding flashing disco balls while performing mods you find important.

Just enjoy the freakin' vehicle and don't worry about it. Just don't drill new holes into wires and fuel lines and hinges and such.

MHO

T
I think it comes down to how it is acquired. We spent our hard earned cash on these trucks and don't want to mess it up because we will have to pay to fix it. Guys at the motor pool don't care if they drill holes and chop stuff off, its not their truck and uncle sam will pay to fix it if need be.

Migginsbros

We don´t like extra holes especially in the roof. The pre owner (civil protection) of our recently purchased MAN Kat1 5ton mil glw doesn´t matter how to get some convoy light and a siren fixed.:(
Each light fixed thru 2 holes + one for the cable and the siren damaged the roof with 3 hole,too.
We want to get rid off these stuff, close the holes and find a better set up for one rotating light, perhaps on an extension, so you can see it from all sides.

IMG_7762.jpg

Migginsbros

:tank: More pic´s from our MV see this month poll https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...diers-MV-of-the-month-2018-December-VOTE-HERE! :driver:

Last edited:

Stonewall

My way of looking at it is you are doing one of two things to your MV. You are either keeping it 100% original, with all correct military parts and the like or not. If not, then it seem to make no difference if you add some extra holes or add modification. I like the idea of keeping the "look" of the original, but making modification or additions that enhance the overall look.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no issue drilling holes to install MWO’s and military issue mods. Other then that, I hate to drill holes in the body.
one example I don’t like is the offset antenna mounts....it’s a personal thing.

warcow105

I feel like I just want to keep it as close to original as possible, while still adding a few things that I want. I have no plans on getting rid of the truck, but in the future if I do and the new owner wants it all original then I'm sure he will appreciate the extra care I took mounting things.
I took the advice of JEB and ran to Home Depot for some aluminum angle and square tube. I'm going to scout around for some existing holes I can span to give me a surface I don't mind drilling.

What other interesting things have you guys done for stuff like a light bar above the windshield? I saw a nice one for sale but don't really feel like dropping $600 on it.
Oh, and I'm currently set up as a 2 door with future plans on the 4 door conversion, but till then are there any covers to the cargo area that look more like an SUV/wagon body? I'm just not a fan of that troop carrier one that sticks up so high.

Thanks
Mike

BLK HMMWV

Radio trays are fairly cheap. mount as much stuff to one of them as you want. .The next guy can source a new radio tray or buy two of them .
Keep one original then get as creative as you want with the other.
Same thing with the light bar. buy a IBES TEK one and use the brackets that come with them for the HMMWV or buy what you want and mod your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks