• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with some serious vibes

Tnkr59

First off Hello, and thanks for being here. :wink:
I Just picked up my 1989 2 Door M998 6.2 and did a road test. I'm suspect of the rear half shafts but would like to ask for your thoughts... It's got a serious "hop/shake" and I felt it was going to rattle apart above 25mph.
It's only been 25 years since my last drive in a 998, but I'm hoping the missing inner boot on the passenger rear might be a tell tale?
(The steering felt tight, with no shake in the steering wheel).

I'd appreciate any input/advice I can get!

ThanksIMG_1757.jpg

papakb

If that's a picture of your new truck you've got bias ply tires on it and they have a history of hop/shake if they've been sitting for more than a few hours. They develop a flat spot where the tire meets the pavement that eventually rounds out with some driving. It likes to manifest itself right around 25 MPH. Usually it'll settle out after half an hour on the road but checking all the driveline hardware is a normal procedure, especially on a newly acquired vehicle. The rest of that PMCS check is change all fluids, belts, and hoses. Inspect for leaks and make sure all electrical connections are corrosion free and tight.

Welcome aboard!

Tnkr59

Thank you papakb, I've got the PM kit on order, and will be working through those items (and the grounding kit) over the next few weeks. I thought about the flat spots from sitting, the thing was really hopping which had me worried.:jumpin:

One thing, where do you all get your replacement hardware (nut, bolts, washers etc.) Grade 8 from Fastenal?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t even attempt to TS your problem with those Bias ply’s on there...especially if it’s cold outside.
Find some take off MT’s....the Bias-plys are great for off highway.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone sell M998/HMMWV/Hummer CV/Constant Velocity joint rebuild/repair kits?

papakb

For all the hassle it's easier to go online and find rebuilt units there. It's a miserable job and it's a whole lot easier to let someone who knows what their doing handle it. Basic A0 HMMWVs axles aren't that expensive. There are 3 sizes on your truck, the left front is the shortest, the right front is the longest and the 2 rear axles are the same.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all the hassle it's easier to go online and find rebuilt units there. It's a miserable job and it's a whole lot easier to let someone who knows what their doing handle it. Basic A0 HMMWVs axles aren't that expensive. There are 3 sizes on your truck, the left front is the shortest, the right front is the longest and the 2 rear axles are the same.
Sometimes rebuilders do things fastest, not bestest, if you know what I mean.

I like to rebuilt, look for warps/twists, and magnaflux [or dip in crack testing fluid under black light] if I suspect cracks. Rebuilders don't usually give a crud.

I had modified Saabs 900 Turbos for years, and CV joint repairs and swaps and boot covers are like an old friend, (an old friend who comes over unannounced and stays well past his welcome, but still and old friend).

If you want it done right.....

T

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See thread "CV boot on HMMWV" for information on boots.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See thread "CV boot on HMMWV" for information on boots.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Thanks, and will do!

Also looking for information on CV joints themselves too.

Best,

T

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I tear a CV boot I replace the whole half shaft, as has been often recommended by RWH. It's such a hassle getting it all off and then apart it makes sense to replace the whole assembly, given that surplus shafts are still widely available. At some point our supply will start to dry up and whole new shafts will command a premium price. Only then will I rebuild them myself. We can buy new for sometimes only 20% over rebuilt and maybe twice the cost of a full set of repair boots and fasteners. I'm sure someone will tell me prices have changed, but I've seen good deals still come along.

Now as to the Hmmwv being repaired here, definitely replace that whole half shaft. It's been without a boot FAR too long.

Bdgr

Last edited:

Tnkr59

I thought this had posted earlier (but... not the first time I've been wrong)
I pulled the drivers side rear shaft as well just to make sure it was ok. Nope, so it's a good thing I had already ordered two (if I'm replacing the one... I am a big fan of starting them both off fresh and new).
I know the one is trashed but the other looks rebuildable. Do you hang onto your old shafts thinking ahead to the day when you might rebuild?
7CDB0F9F-0D96-47BA-8257-1A1802C3CF9E.jpg

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Sadly or vehicles take 3 different sizes.
I keep a spare set because I don't like waiting for parts .

That and sometimes you can use them as cores when you buy a new set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks