Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: it looks like the driver side axle mount is pushed back

General
    Thanks

A c-clamp or c type welding vise grips will work, it's really not under much pressure at all. The pin is actaully a bolt and you can easly replace that with a center bolt bought at a spring shop or what I'd do is use an Allen head bolt and Nylock nut and cut to length. Also, I believe the U bolts and nuts are considered a one time use only! Not sure about that but I've never reused them, but up here in NY there usaully rusted to bad to reuse anyway.

Thanks

So... funny story.
    I jacked the truck up with the bottle jack and had a lift jack under the axle. Took the tire off and backed off the 4 axle shackle bolts. They were lose already. I left a few threads on to make sure it's not flying off when I lower the axle.
    Removed the sway bar bushings, and bought new ones. because the old bushings were very worn.
    zI clamped the leaf springs with two c clamps.
    Then I lowered the axle and had a peak under the top plate. The pin also was pretty lose, but did't seem to be broken. The white plastic sheet, that lays on top of the spring had a bit of an oval center piece. Probably from the the pin moving around.
    So I took off the 4 shackle bolts and lowered the axle some more to see underneath the springs.
    When I had the shackle u bolts off I could see that they don't form a perfect U shape... more on that later!
    I looked under the leaf spring assembly and the Pin looked alright there too. The axle had a round hole. So that seemed to be a good thing ,too.
    I didn't see anything that would explain that the axle is and inch and a half away from where it is suppose to be.
    So when the time came to button it back up I got a surprise.
    The shackle bolts didn't want to go back in the bracket as they were spaced wide than the openings. So I got out a ratchet strap that I wound around the bolt and connected to the front bumper shackle ,that allowed for the bolt to squeeze together and fit into the holes. I am sure there is a better way of doing this, but it worked for me and maybe if you're in a pinch you'll try the same way I did.
    I didn't want to buy a new set of shackle bolts before I had the problem remedied. I can always swap the bolts for new ones once I got the issue fixed.

I noticed that whatever #13 is called is pointing down on the passenger side and tilted back on the riverside. I'm sure that can cause some issues , but I am not sure if it would cause the steering wheel be so far off.
    The bushings in the leaf spring look worn out. So I'll take that next.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.09.20 PM.png
    Someone mentioned that they have honed the spring loops with an appropriate size hone. Do you guys know the size?

Tomorrow I'll check out the passenger side. Maybe that axle moved ...
    I will either find a way, or make one!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hate people, who use big words just to make themselves look perspicacious.

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

Thanks

13 is the leaf spring shackle. Ideally it should be the same on both sides if your springs have sagged evenly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sneekyeye For This Useful Post:

319cssb (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneekyeye View Post
    13 is the leaf spring shackle. Ideally it should be the same on both sides if your springs have sagged evenly.
    so if I would try to move the shackle , so that it faces down, the saggy spring would push it right back where it was?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

Thanks

As soon as the weight is on the springs again it will move back to where it normally rests, whether it be straight or crooked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sneekyeye For This Useful Post:

319cssb (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    Attachment 755767A new set of leaf springs will cost a bit but well worth the effort. Trust me I have been putting them on several of the CUCV's I rebuilt. Amazing what difference 30 year newer springs make. Attachment 755768Attachment 755769
    Not to high-jack the thread but do you have a recommended vendor for those springs? Are those part numbers pretty universal with other spring vendors?
    1985 M1009 K5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 85CUCVtom View Post
    Not to high-jack the thread but do you have a recommended vendor for those springs? Are those part numbers pretty universal with other spring vendors?
    Truckspring has the Dayton 22-402 for $79 and the 22-402HD for $107
    https://www.truckspring.com
    Last edited by 319cssb; 02-14-2019 at 13:30.

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 319cssb For This Useful Post:

85CUCVtom (02-14-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3