Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: it looks like the driver side axle mount is pushed back

Thanks

Default Steering wheel is off and then some

I took inspiration in sneekyeyes thead and since i have a similar issue i want to start my own to not get replies confused or jumbled up.

My left axle is back toward the fender by about an inch and a half. My steering wheel is off center. The truck drives kind of wonky but that can have other issues like shocks and lead spring bushes. Ill go through it all but i want to tackle one issue at a time.

I meassured from the right rear tire at a certain height to the front hub and this is how i measured the difference between left and right front axle. You can also see it with the naked eye.

so how do i remedy this? Take the sway bar off. Lift the truck by the frame. Take off front wheel. Losen axle shackle bolts on the left axle and then? Use q BFH and move the axle forward or strap to a come along and do it that way?
    Has anyone had this issue?
    I will either find a way, or make one!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hate people, who use big words just to make themselves look perspicacious.

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

4 Star General /Moderator doghead's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,922 Posts

Merged your original thread with today's new one.

Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic(especially your own).
    M817, M818, M819, M35A2 w/w, M35A2, M109, M105, M116A2, M101A2, Pioneer tool trailer, MEP-002, MEP-017A, 5ton winch shear pins, Oral-B toothbrush

Ah Beefco Industries Northeast marketing associate

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=T6BTcEwtmZo

Thanks

So I took a few photo's maybe they will illustrate the situation a bit better.

IMG_4927.jpg
    this photo above is the passenger side
    IMG_4928.jpg
    This picture above is the driver side.
    IMG_4929.jpg
    I measured from the passenger rear tire lip at 14" above the ground and got 100 1/2" between rear tire and the edge of the front wheel hub. On the driver side it was only 99" as you can see.
    The wheels were straight. The steering wheel isn't.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

General
    Thanks

Your on the right road but your kinda getting ahead of yourself, now that you know you have a problem you now need to find exactly where it is. To do that you need to start by taking some X measurement's from the same place on one side the repeating the SAME place on the other side. Lets say you start at the front of the left rear spring hanger at the lowest rivet and measure across to the rear of the right hanger and get (WAG) 89.5" and then do the exact reverse and come up with the same 89.5". Then you know the problem is in front of that and measure accordingly. The longer the measurement the easier it is to see the difference. It helps to have a helper and doing this can quickly find or eliminate frame damage. Hopefully all will be the same until you get to the springs and you find worn bushings or sheared pin.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nyoffroad For This Useful Post:

319cssb (02-09-2019)

Thanks

What if i start by checking the spring locating pin first? If it is sheered the i know that i have an issue right there.
    Do i have to clamp the springs or can i take the u bolts off with weight on the axle and peak under the top bracket?

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

Thanks
    Thanked 5,603 Times in 2,999 Posts

You can take the U bolts off and jack the weight of the truck off the spring pack. You are going to need to get an eye ball up in that area to inspect the centering pin. Also the axle could be bent. That is the long side of the axle. I doubt it but it is possible. I had Dana 60 axles snap in half after an impact.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

319cssb (02-12-2019)

Thanks

A tip from a guy who just did this, you can jack it up by the front axle and put large jack stands under the frame near the trans cross member. Then let the axle drop to get a lot more room for the top nuts. Make sure the sway bar is connected when you start to torque down the u bolts, or you'll probably have to do it twice if it doesn't line back up. Just support it with the jack and it wont fall when you remove all the nuts. If the center bolt is broken, your springs will probably come apart when you loosen the u bolts. Hopefully its something obvious, unlike mine. I'm still fiddling with it trying to find an issue.

Leaf spring center bolts are pretty cheap, the o'Reilly around here has them in stock, and autozone too. You'll have to cut them down.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sneekyeye For This Useful Post:

319cssb (02-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,603 Times in 2,999 Posts

DSCF5021.jpgA new set of leaf springs will cost a bit but well worth the effort. Trust me I have been putting them on several of the CUCV's I rebuilt. Amazing what difference 30 year newer springs make. DSCF5022.jpgDSCF5023.jpg
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    DSCF5021.jpgA new set of leaf springs will cost a bit but well worth the effort. Trust me I have been putting them on several of the CUCV's I rebuilt. Amazing what difference 30 year newer springs make. DSCF5022.jpgDSCF5023.jpg
    You can say that again! Put new ones on mine and even with the plow raised in still sits higher than before WITHOUT the plow. Rides better too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nyoffroad For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (02-13-2019)

Thanks

What I plan on doing is this:
    Get the bottle jack from the LMTV jack up the body high enough and secure with a large jack stand.
    Get two c clamps put them on the springs.
    Losen the U-clamp bolts.
    Take off the sway bar at the frame.
    Take off the drive side wheel.
    Use another jack to support the axle.
    take off the U-clamp
    Drop the axle until the pin becomes visible. replace if broken.
    Not sure if the c-clamp will do much good, since I strongly suspect that the locating pin is sheered. But It'll probably make things easier if it is. Not sure never done this before.

Any suggestions?

I'll shop for new springs

1988 M813
    1987 M1028A2
    1084 M1009
    1997 M1078

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast